Need some help with alpha/delta invasion.

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
imdied
New User

Need some help with alpha/delta invasion.

Post by imdied » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:45 pm

I am some what new to using mods for Doom 2, so far I have been able to install zandronum, brutal doom, and alpha/delta invasion. I figured out how to get a server running for my small group of people to play on but we have two problems we keep running into and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on them for us.

Our problems we keep having are when we are using the maps from alpha/delta

http://www.moddb.com/mods/alphadelta-invasion

We keep getting stuck on waves with 1 monster left and we cannot find it anywhere and have no sign of one being anywhere, can't hear anything, or see anything to indicate where they might be. I have tried looking around on the internet but have had no luck finding anything about this and I am just curious if anyone has any input for us

Second problem which I hope will be easier for someone to help us with is while playing alpha/delta we original saw most of the levels as white and blue blocks. I assumed it was because we were missing some textures and after looking around for a bit I was able to find a file named SKULLTEXTURES (I believe it was a WAD file) and throw it into our skins folder and it fixed that problem. However on many of the maps for alpha/delta we still see the floating red signs with the exclamation points in them. When I load up server I see about 10-15 lines of various "Unknown type 5111 at (1504, -224)" I am assuming we are still missing more files. I have found more random skulltag files online and tried downloading them and putting them into our skins folders but none have helped.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give us!

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

RE: Need some help with alpha/delta invasion.

Post by Laggy Blazko » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

1.- Never use the skins folder to load mods, they may not load correctly and cause problems in multiplayer. Use a launcher (like Zdoom Launcher) to load mods, instead.
2.- Once in the launcher, load skulltag_data and skulltag_actors, then Alpha/Delta and Drutal Doom (I'm not sure if BD is 100% compatible with Alpha/delta, though).
Try these SkullTag files:
http://static.[bad site]/wads/skullt ... _1-1-1.pk3
http://static.[bad site]/wads/skulltag_data_126.pk3
Last edited by Laggy Blazko on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is finding the user CP so hard?

imdied
New User

Post by imdied » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Ooh ok thank you! I had no idea there was a different way to be loading mods!

*UAC* Odine
New User

Post by *UAC* Odine » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi! One thing is true, if you see this :exclaim: something is missing. Like a monster or some kind of decoration (like a tree, barrel, chairs etc) But usually it happens with a monster thing.

This error "Unknown type 5111 at (1504, -224)" Refers to an object with the "ID 5111"
what is an ID? When you create a mod, and you would add a monster or decorative object to the game, You must identify the monster with a number. DooM Default monsters examples: (Imp ID 3001) (Cyberdemon ID 16) (Hell Knight ID 69)

so if you received in console 11-15 errors like this... Its probably that the program cannot find pre-defined these objects, and im sure that you forget to add the Mod/Wad/Pk3 that contains the monsters. I guess

You have several clues of what is wrong with here: First, you get this error “Unknown type 5111”. Second, you see ingame this :exclaim: . third, You keep getting stuck on waves with 1 monster left (probably this monster exists like :exclaim: , and maybe that's why you can not hear or see him. Hes probably a Mini-Boss at the end of the wave/round That appears by teleportation or script spawn... who knows.

The last monster can not appear because basically you dont have the MOD/WAD/PK3 that containing his sprites/sounds and and their attributes health/damage/speed etc.. which are usually defined in a file called DECORATE.txt inside the WAD/PK3/MOD archive.

Did You see if ModDB author site warns you that you need also to add another mod with the monsters separately? I really think that the mistake it is due to the monsters cannot be found anywhere Because surely to be another complementary mod that you miss it.
Rip & Tear!

imdied
New User

Post by imdied » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:08 am

This may be a early thank you but I was able to use what both of you have said and so far all our problems seem to be fixed!! Thank you so much! We REALLY appreciate it!

imdied
New User

Post by imdied » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:58 am

Hmm well we made it much farther now before we had the issues, but sadly we ran into it again with having one monster left. Where I downloaded the invasion mod from was

I don't see anything on here talking about other files you should have. It seems like adding the skulltag_actors_1-1-1 and skulltag_data_126 made a big difference. At some point I also grabbed a SKULLTEXTURES. Could there be another file that anyone knows of that I may be missing?

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given us so far!

*UAC* Odine
New User

Post by *UAC* Odine » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 am

imdied wrote: Hmm well we made it much farther now before we had the issues, but sadly we ran into it again with having one monster left. Where I downloaded the invasion mod from was

I don't see anything on here talking about other files you should have. It seems like adding the skulltag_actors_1-1-1 and skulltag_data_126 made a big difference. At some point I also grabbed a SKULLTEXTURES. Could there be another file that anyone knows of that I may be missing?

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given us so far!
I Glad to be of some help :smile:

Look i enter in the website you shared right here "Moddb", and i find a comment by the original author of alphadelta-invasion called "bluluxabica"
and he says:

bluluxabica Apr 19 2014, 10:50pm replied:
"Only works with skulltag unfortunately... No other ports have invasion... Sorry for the incovenience pal ):"

So looks like this is not compatible with Zandronum :rolleyes:

You have looked if there is a remake/version/re-made Mod of alpha delta-invasion of another author, developer or fan?. Maybe you can find another mod very similar to Alphadelta-invasion, such as "shotgun frenzy" (sfrenzy14.pk3 / sfrenzy14_core.pk3 / and sf14unofficialpatch5.pk3)
Last edited by *UAC* Odine on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rip & Tear!

imdied
New User

Post by imdied » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 am

Ah! OK. Basically me and my group just really enjoy fighting the waves of monsters coming at us. Alpha/Delta was the first mod I came across with it so we got really excited to play them. =)
I did get to look over shotgun frenzy and that sounds like a lot of fun to! When we get time again we will have to try it out! We just love fighting hordes of monsters over and over.
Last edited by imdied on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

*UAC* Odine
New User

Post by *UAC* Odine » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 am

Hehe have fun! I know that Zandronum has some things in common with Skulltag but i do not know exactly which and his mods compatibilities.

I remember playing a lot of mods of the type: "Monster-wave" style. Another good and very well done is: "Stronghold_v1" or "UAC Invasion or Invasion UAC" i dont remember exactly :razz:
Rip & Tear!

imdied
New User

Post by imdied » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:53 am

I appreciate any ideas on other mods to try, and honestly I don't even really know what skulltag is other than some random files I keep finding out about. =X

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Skulltag is another source port. Basically an "older" version of Zandronum. But before looking for it, try running Alpha/Delta without Brutal Doom and see if it works. It's probably not 100% compatible with BD.
Last edited by Laggy Blazko on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is finding the user CP so hard?

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi. I'm the original author of Alpha and Delta invasions. On which maps are you getting stuck exactly? I'll look into it.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

imdied
New User

Post by imdied » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Oh wow I never expected to actually get a response from the author! Since we added the two files Laggy Blazko sent me we haven't had a great deal of time to test many of the maps but the one we tried to play through was "DTINV08 - Canyon of Thousand Deaths". We got much farther this time but we still got stuck with one monster on either the second to last wave or the last wave I cant remember. I will also say I have been guilty of not trying this without brutal doom yet, when I get some time I will test that out as well!

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:11 pm

I've just played through entirety of DTINV08. It worked fine for me. These are the WADs I loaded, in following order, together with their MD5 checksums:

Code: Select all

70755cbf0bc4081cb7aab0eeb71344e8 *skulltag_data_126.pk3
ad411dbca55c949f2d10256fbb0dce84 *skulltag_actors_1-1-1.pk3
5536eb42327daa178bb0a04b3c956bae *dtinv3c.pk3
a1fe952d53ac647b027ff2ba21c37cce *dtinv3-m.pk3
Your problems might be caused by Brutal Doom. Delta Invasion predates Brutal Doom by a lot and I don't know if these two mods are compatible. If Brutal Doom messes with monster counter it might affect invasion game mode negatively. Alternatively, it might be a bug in Zandronum 2.0 as there were some monster counter problems with that version. Nevertheless, I use Zandronum 2.0 and I was able to complete the level correctly.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

UnTrustable
Forum Regular

Re: Need some help with alpha/delta invasion.

Post by UnTrustable » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Wow, 2015 was the last reply on this.
I dont want to 'relive' a dead topic.
Anyways, im doing it anyways.... a while ago some Delta invasion fan, asked me about an Dreadnought issue.
It seems to be that Zandronum DOES NOT spawn the final boss into the map.
I have fixed the Dreadnought final boss issue, and posted it in a new thread.
However, i see no responce, so im afraid it slips away through the rest op the posts, and becomes forgotten.

I'm quite away from making invasion maps, due to work in real life.
However, i rebuilded the "Invasion mode behaviour" by script, so basicly, i can 'port' the Zandronum or Skulltag's Alpha & Delta Invasion version to
any port there is, playing it in a normal CO-OP (multiplay) gameplay.

My Invasion mode version is abit sloppy, it certainly needs a nice clean up, so that everybody understands what it does, but it already works like a charm.