Port Zandronum to <Platform here>

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Captain Kupo

RE: Port Zandronum to <Platform here>

Post by Captain Kupo » Thu May 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Might be a little late for me to say this, but im pretty sure he was joking about the OUYA
Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars,
cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

UltimaXtreme
New User

Post by UltimaXtreme » Fri May 02, 2014 3:30 pm

The Ouya, the GameStick, the Nvidia Shield, any recent Android smartphone and a PS3 controller, who cares? They're all capable devices and hell, a second master server intended for people on those platforms would easily make an Android/iOS/WinRT port well off.

I may have to go to Doomworld and ask Beloko why he used the PrBoom base to make Doom Touch. He made the port last year, while Zandronum was coming to be around 2012, and Zdoom was already out long before, anyway. Maybe PrBoom is easier to port due to SDL?

And going back to the original post, assuming the environment lacks a physical control scheme is no longer relevant, and even if it were, a touch screen API should not be too hard to code in, even as a layer. These ports are an intention for an easier and portable revision of Doom which keeps most compatibility, as the desire for Zdoom/ST/Z& should be.

It really has come down to interest now. There's no argument against porting to these platforms, it's now a matter of who will take the helm.

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:11 pm

The reason Beloko uses PrBoom is because it's GPL. He sells his ports for a small amount of money, or in the case of ECWolf advertises his other work, and would not be able to do that with ZDoom.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 am

Small bump.
Looks like someone ported the entirety of GzDoom to the android just to play brutal doom, heh.

EDIT: better video
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Last edited by Catastrophe on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 am

That thing is lagging more than my rip pentium 3 machine playing brutal doom lmao...
But ofc, lagdroid and your poor arm processors wouldn't help here :s
He did a nice job, not impossible, since fmod and opengl are already on it (and since there's a linux port, ...) but, since everyone was lazy to port something (yes, myself too) to it...
I expected the first port to windows phone or windows rt, but my bet was wrong :O
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Catastrophe wrote: Small bump.
Looks like someone ported the entirety of GzDoom to the android just to play brutal doom, heh.

EDIT: better video
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
ibm5155 wrote: That thing is lagging more than my rip pentium 3 machine playing brutal doom lmao...
But ofc, lagdroid and your poor arm processors wouldn't help here :s
He did a nice job, not impossible, since fmod and opengl are already on it (and since there's a linux port, ...) but, since everyone was lazy to port something (yes, myself too) to it...
I expected the first port to windows phone or windows rt, but my bet was wrong :O

Its the port itself. Choc and PR ports work great the only thing that has problems is the GZDoom port. The sound effects are played 1 frame after they're supposed to. So about half a second? Other than that its a pretty good port just needs optimization tweaking. It might be the default settings too so I'm going to tweak with that and see what I get. I might buy a Bluetooth controller just to play this on the go.
Last edited by MrSetharoo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigi
New User

Post by Gigi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 am

I got an Nvidia Shield Tablet on the way. A Zandronum port to android's OS would be extremely handy on the road.
If there's anything to be done, by god I hope we get something nice. Apologies for bumping old posts, but I was told this was the place for it anything related to ports for such devices. What I'd give to play Action Doom and Action Doom 2 on the go.
Last edited by Gigi on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Gigi wrote: I got an Nvidia Shield Tablet on the way. A Zandronum port to android's OS would be extremely handy on the road.
If there's anything to be done, by god I hope we get something nice. Apologies for bumping old posts, but I was told this was the place for it anything related to ports for such devices. What I'd give to play Action Doom and Action Doom 2 on the go.
Problem is this thread talks about "Zandronum isn't going to be ported to any other platform by the actual developers", unless there is a fork happening. You'd rather stick to GZdoom on Android or uhh GLDoom I guess?
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

FoxBoy

Re: Port Zandronum to <Platform here>

Post by FoxBoy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:32 am

I don't see how this is an issue.

In most cases on custom engines like this, it's given to you in a WYSIWYG display. As in, this is what's done, this is what you can do. Really, one of the best answers to a question like this on a forum is to let the user know what's supported, give them materials if they want to jump it to another platform, and leave them be. Because, like platform-jumping, this whole engine is done under the developer free time periods (Much like SRB2 is so I can relate, here)

It's not like the end user is committing a serious Forum felony; they just want to ask if something can be done. And responding this way just simply answers them with "No, it hasn't been done, but if you want to, you can do it." It's not like it's absolutely viral and everyone is just deliberately asking it.
Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses you know. It's part of being natural, everything has a tone of beauty to it however you see fit. <3

DoodGuy
New User

[Merged with correct thread] Will there be a Android port of Zandronum?

Post by DoodGuy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 am

Everything is in the Title kek :igor:

Lollipop
Zandrone

Re: Will there be a Android port of Zandronum?

Post by Lollipop » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:26 pm

No, unless you pay the money to have the dev team working full time on implementing a reasonable input interface for a phone to play this game on a very specific linux distro, which probably comes with a shitton of development complications in the first place.

This isn't happening, it is a waste of dev time.

ARGENTVM
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: Will there be a Android port of Zandronum?

Post by ARGENTVM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 pm

beatdown
Registered just to make one post

Post by beatdown » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 pm

I'd like to see someone port Zandronum to IRIX on SGI hardware. I know it is a long shot but it may be possible. A port of GZDoom first would probably be the best bet.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 pm

I definitely think you didn't read the opening post when you decided to post in this thread.

mattbratt11
Forum Regular
Clan: Candid Yams
Clan Tag: MMCY

Post by mattbratt11 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:27 am

I would like to suggest Porting both GZDoom 3.5.x and Zandronum 3.x to BibloHicks' ScoreDoom, but ScoreDoom's Website is currently down.
What's the Problem with ScoreDoom now?

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Yet another person who has no idea what this topic is about...
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Topic locked to prevent further.... requests.