Built in skins with zandronum

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Racoon
New User

RE: Built in skins with zandronum

Post by Racoon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 am

There seems to be a love/hate relationship with the skins. Personally, I do want the ST skins to be included in the next release of zandronum or something, or atleast keep the Base III skin. its not really a big deal but it would be nice if this could happen, since ST was forked over.

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:59 am

Racoon wrote: There seems to be a love/hate relationship with the skins. Personally, I do want the ST skins to be included in the next release of zandronum or something, or atleast keep the Base III skin. its not really a big deal but it would be nice if this could happen, since ST was forked over.
The reason why is because the only people who loves the skins are people who only play coop and what not. You don't see people in ctf wearing skins.

Racoon
New User

Post by Racoon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:02 am

Reach Term wrote:
Racoon wrote: There seems to be a love/hate relationship with the skins. Personally, I do want the ST skins to be included in the next release of zandronum or something, or atleast keep the Base III skin. its not really a big deal but it would be nice if this could happen, since ST was forked over.
The reason why is because the only people who loves the skins are people who only play coop and what not. You don't see people in ctf wearing skins.
Oh, well I guess that's why then. I pretty much play everything except for ctf, but still that is something that crosses my mind every now and then..

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Qent » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:09 am

People do indeed use skins in CTF. They use that Phobos skin which is annoying because it takes an extra fraction of a second to discern their team. I rarely play co-op, and I see tons of skins.

If the installer is eventually set up to install a few well-known mods, then adding skins to the mix won't be extra work.
Last edited by Qent on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:19 am

I think the best option is to have a sticky thread with links to stuff like skulltag_data and the old skins.

@Torr: A new set of Zan-specific skins is a great idea.
Last edited by Marcaek on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Last edited by Catastrophe on Fri May 11, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shoggy

Post by Shoggy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
Minigunner wrote: What about modifying the Installer for the stable 1.0 release that allows you to choose certain optional components, such as skins and/or announcer?
That's a great idea, actually.
Marcaek wrote: I think the best option is to have a sticky thread with links to stuff like skulltag_data and the old skins.
When I started playing, I never even acknowledged the existence of the forums, and I loved the skins. It added originality to this port that made it stand out.

Why are people being so robotic about this? You only need to delete the skins once (unless you are downloading skulltag 500 times for some reason). Another thing is, most randoms that play don't even know about the forums, I definitely did not.

"I can save disk spaec!11"

Dude, it's fucking 2012, even when I had ST on my dinosaur 50 gig computer, sacrificing 10mb for skins was and is no big deal. You really can't bitch about file-size of skins considering how much we've advanced in hard-drive space. Even here in Bangladesh they have computers with half a terabyte of space. If filesize is really an issue, all I can say is... How the fuck don't you have enough space?! It's literally less than 20mb which is nothing these days, getting a really shitty 5 dollar pen drive will give you 50 times+ more space than that!

"skins are annoyoing!!11"

Ok. There is a nice disable feature. Here is where it is: Escape ---> Multiplayer ---> Skins - Set to Off. Done. You don't have to do it ever again as long as you don't delete your config like an idiot.

"My internet sux!11"

That is actually the ONLY legitimate reason for taking out skins and making a "lite" version, which should not be the default download.
You got propped sir. :smile:

FCx

Post by FCx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:40 pm

I like skins, but in Skulltag I had to disable it because in mods like AOW2, WDI, etc. people use to wear fake weapons skins (like "knife skin" in WDI, "marine skin" while you were zombie in ZH, etc).

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm

FCx wrote: I like skins, but in Skulltag I had to disable it because in mods like AOW2, WDI, etc. people use to wear fake weapons skins (like "knife skin" in WDI, "marine skin" while you were zombie in ZH, etc).
I actually don't like those skins very much. I will also go to say that I've made skins such as these for shits, but that was a long time ago when I was still working on that mess of a skins pack I had.
I think anymore, people just use skins to get ahead in a game instead of just playing normally like they should.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Zap610

Post by Zap610 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Catastrophe wrote:Long post making counters to simpleminded arguments
My issue with using Skulltag skins is it more or less defeats the point of this fork. The idea is a fresh start with the content. As I said before, I think there should be a Zan Guy skin as a way to celebrate the fork, or something. But including doomcrates and fat guys and meepys is something I never want to see included in the engine. We shouldn't have to disable pointless skins by default. I'm all for including them as a separate file though.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Zap610 wrote: My issue with using Skulltag skins is it more or less defeats the point of this fork. The idea is a fresh start with the content. As I said before, I think there should be a Zan Guy skin as a way to celebrate the fork, or something. But including doomcrates and fat guys and meepys is something I never want to see included in the engine. We shouldn't have to disable pointless skins by default. I'm all for including them as a separate file though.
Then it leads to ask, who's going to take the time to make a skin like that? More importantly, what's the design of such a skin?
Without these covered, then you're basicly walking into this blind.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Zap610

Post by Zap610 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I suppose I'm just thinking out loud, but at the same time I'm sure there's someone out there with the skills and the motivation who would want to try it. Of course, the skin isn't a necessity.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Be that as it may, theres nothing wrong with using the 3 set base skins for a while, remember, this is the start, thing change as time goes.
|Project releases|

Zap610

Post by Zap610 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:14 pm

And that's where I disagree. I personally don't want to see the actual engine grow with auto-loading content like ST did. I do want to see it grow, of course. But to me the engine should stay as an engine and people should be able to add what they want to it instead of having to disable things.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Ah, but I didn't say put the skins into the engine file, now did I?
Having the base skins as a download in the portal when everything is set, is one good idea, and the rest of the skins can either be posted by other users in the forum, or put into the portal as well, giving players the chance to have the old st skins, but also leaving room for new skins to come into place for Zan. This way you don't completely throw out perfectly good skins and you also get the new ones in several neatly wrapped packages.
|Project releases|

Zap610

Post by Zap610 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Now that I 100% agree with.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Comprimise, it works doesn't it?
This is why we need a Skins sub thread.
|Project releases|

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Catastrophe wrote:

Dude, it's fucking 2012, even when I had ST on my dinosaur 50 gig computer, sacrificing 10mb for skins was and is no big deal. You really can't bitch about file-size of skins considering how much we've advanced in hard-drive space. Even here in Bangladesh they have computers with half a terabyte of space. If filesize is really an issue, all I can say is... How the fuck don't you have enough space?! It's literally less than 20mb which is nothing these days, getting a really shitty 5 dollar pen drive will give you 50 times+ more space than that!
I've seen servers who release their "hangout" wads. Once I realise what wads I needed, it told me that I needed over 150MB in wads. That's my point.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Reach Term wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:

I've seen servers who release their "hangout" wads. Once I realise what wads I needed, it told me that I needed over 150MB in wads. That's my point.
I'm guity of doing this too, but it's with music.
People don't take into account just how large some of these files can get if they don't compress what they're throwing into some of these wads.
Last edited by Reaku on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|Project releases|

Qent

Post by Qent » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Zap610 wrote: My issue with using Skulltag skins is it more or less defeats the point of this fork. The idea is a fresh start with the content.
I think the point was to get a stable website.

Optional but easily accessible would be a good compromise though.