Built in skins with zandronum

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Built in skins with zandronum

Post by Ivan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Reaku wrote: Getting the skins is the easy thing to do, but what I'm most focused with when it comes to the skins is the quality of the female skins, those skins need to be better than they already are.
The Crash skin is missing several frames, and the Illucia skin isn't that great really, I liked the older one better.
that all aside, if desired, I can compile every one of the skins into a zip for people if needed, including the old and new Illucia.
Above all else, the taunts of them. They better be not annoying like the current Illucia we got... Oh man, what a reason to turn skins off :(
Last edited by Ivan on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Ivan wrote:
Reaku wrote: Getting the skins is the easy thing to do, but what I'm most focused with when it comes to the skins is the quality of the female skins, those skins need to be better than they already are.
The Crash skin is missing several frames, and the Illucia skin isn't that great really, I liked the older one better.
that all aside, if desired, I can compile every one of the skins into a zip for people if needed, including the old and new Illucia.
Above all else, the taunts of them. They better be not annoying like the current Illucia we got... Oh man, what a reason to turn skins off :(
Yeah, some of those taunts got bad at times, like when someone kept spamming "Let's Rock!" with the Doom64 guy skin, and Sadly, I like that skin.
With the skins we have, there's really nothing wrong with them, it's just we're missing a few skins, like Corvus, Baratus, Daedolon, and Parias.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 pm

nearly every server will have stdata in it.
Probably not, actually. From the looks of things the only servers that will require stdata will be the servers hosting Skulltag stock maps, gamemodes, and a handful of the mods that use skulltag resources, most of which don't get hosted anyway.

Regardless the skins are separate from stdata so I don't see your point here.

Zap610
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Zap610 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:43 pm

I really don't like the idea of adding skins to this; except for the mascot if he's ever made. If the game isn't fun without the skins then something is wrong here.

Jimmy
New User

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Skins aren't vital to the enjoyability of a game of multiplayer Doom.

When playing Skulltag online I always had "cheat skins" off - Doomcrate, Daisy and Hissy (and definitely Meepy) were just plain annoying. This resulted in most of the players I fought against reverting to Base, but honestly, it wasn't a problem for me. It needn't be a problem for anyone. It's Doom. Doom should look and feel like Doom. Playing on ZDaemon and Odamex against hordes of Base is tons of fun.

So I'm ambivalent. On one side I'm content with things as they are (after all, there will always be skin WADs), but on the other, skins, as long as they're good and sensible, can add something pretty nice to the look of a game. It would be nice to see at least a couple of the Skulltag skins make a return. Maybe some new ones, too?

...On that note, if you guys would like to use my Magnus skin that Wagi (I think) recolored, I'm okay with that. :smile:
Last edited by Jimmy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(link updated because I'm a dumb)
♪ Jimmy's MIDI directory ♫ - More than 150 original MIDIs!
♪ Jimmy's YouTube Channel ♫ - All my recent stuff!
▲ Jimmy's Blog of Doom ▲ - I make terrible posts here.

Download Jenesis
Download Jenocide (RC3)

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:47 pm

I don't think it's a matter of necessity, rather the appearance of stock skins to me is a demonstration that they're supported and an inspiration to modders to create their own. Skins add a kind of newschool character to the port, and provide more options for customization and identification to the players.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Really, having skins around for use isn't that big of a deal, but it can make the game feel a little more at home with people, especially if they're familiar with things like Quake 1 and Quake 2 which gave you different skins to play with and even allow custom ones. It's just something that lets a player scream "Hey! I'm different!" than just having a different set colour for their skin, though something that was brought up before in another place is possibly allow different radiant for team colours, so one person could be bright red, the other dark, and some in-between to spice it up so you can spot the differences straight off, though I'm not sure how possible that is with the doom engine itself.
Back to my point, having the skins themselves aren't needed, but it's something fun for the players to do while they play, and they can see other skins people have and it's still the same game, just a bit of a flashier package than before, now if you got someone running around with a skin that's absolutely obnoxious, then you're not going to have fun, which brings me to the whole thing of having skins that don't have annoying sounds to them. They should be set to the point where they're fun but not over the top making them annoying to other players.

To sum it up, they can be bad, and I mean REALLY bad, but other time, they can be just plane amusing.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Sergeant_Mark_IV

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't understand why the alpha build still includes the horrible unfinished cartoonish old Crash skin. There were at least 2 or more submissions for better Crash sprites in the Skulltag forums. What happened to them?
Last edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qent

Post by Qent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 pm

However we do it, I agree that we should ensure that newbies download the basic skins. It would make it feel more polished.
Reaku wrote: possibly allow different radiant for team colours, so one person could be bright red, the other dark, and some in-between
Red, maroon, yelloworange, and "light red." :razz:

EDIT:
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote: I don't understand why the alpha build still includes the horrible unfinished cartoonish old Crash skin. There were at least 2 or more submissions for better Crash sprites in the Skulltag forums. What happened to them?
No it does not. The Zandronum 1.0 beta has no skins. No Skulltag betas ever included skins. The new Crash skin was all set to appear in Skulltag 98e.
Last edited by Qent on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote: I don't understand why the alpha build still includes the horrible unfinished cartoonish old Crash skin. There were at least 2 or more submissions for better Crash sprites in the Skulltag forums. What happened to them?
The old forum exploded, that's what happened. But I do agree with you there, that old crash skin was just bad, considering it didn't have finished frames either. We need more female skins, and we don't have them, and the ones we have are bad.

:EDIT:
Qent wrote: However we do it, I agree that we should ensure that newbies download the basic skins. It would make it feel more polished.
I can do this is it's completely needed of me.
Last edited by Reaku on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|Project releases|

Sergeant_Mark_IV

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Qent wrote: No it does not. The Zandronum 1.0 beta has no skins. No Skulltag betas ever included skins. The new Crash skin was all set to appear in Skulltag 98e.
Oh, there is a 1.0 beta? I didn't knew that. I'm just saying because I download 1.0 alpha some weeks ago, and it still included all ST skins.

Reaku wrote: The old forum exploded, that's what happened. But I do agree with you there, that old crash skin was just bad, considering it didn't have finished frames either. We need more female skins, and we don't have them, and the ones we have are bad.
Other day back in last week, I found a way to somehow, still browse the forums, but I forgot how I did it :P
Also, if you search Google, you still can find ST posts. I think the forums are still alive somewhere in a state of coma.

Well, what about Marty Kirra? I remember he was near finishing a Crash skin in 2010, and I presume he already finished it if he didn't droped it. Does anybody has any contact info about him?

Qent

Post by Qent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:35 pm

I meant alpha. I don't even know what the difference is anymore.

Here is the new Crash skin for 98e.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Thinking about it closely, the skins that all noobs would need would be BaseI, BaseII, BaseIII, Seenas, Siris, and Phobos, possibly Doom64guy.
With that batch, you shouldn't need much more to add into it, unless you put the doomcrate back in which really isn't the worst cheat skin out there. (compared to Daisy that is)
|Project releases|

Avi

Post by Avi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Well, I agree that while skins and customization is a really large appeal of Skulltag (and hopefully Zandronum), it's not a reason to throw skins (that most people here already own when they moved their skins folder over to Zandronum) into a Zandro beta. However, I also feel that this means we really need to dedicate a section of the website to customization --moreso than that tiny little html tabled section in the skulltag's original download page. Then again, this entire topic was indirectly made because not everyone is going to backup their skulltag stuff hearing about a "new source port."

Maybe we can just throw a little url with a big zip 'o skins with the next alpha/beta version announcement? Having it with an announcement means it'd also be on the portal. Only the completely lazy would have something to complain about at that point.

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Can't we do what ZDaemon did and made it a optional wad? That way it wouldn't take up many resources(well it's not a whole lot but it's better off being used into something else.) and let people who don't like skins be happy about it?

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Reach Term wrote: Can't we do what ZDaemon did and made it a optional wad? That way it wouldn't take up many resources(well it's not a whole lot but it's better off being used into something else.) and let people who don't like skins be happy about it?
I think that was the actual point behind the whole thing, just to release a zip with all the skins in it in seprate files so people could choose for themselves, or at least make it one file for the skins folder.
|Project releases|

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:58 pm

I'd say we should create an official skin pack that is available on the (still to be created) Zandronum download page.
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote: Oh, there is a 1.0 beta? I didn't knew that. I'm just saying because I download 1.0 alpha some weeks ago, and it still included all ST skins.
I never released any Zandronum version that includes skins. Where did you get it?

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Torr Samaho wrote: I'd say we should create an official skin pack that is available on the (still to be created) Zandronum download page.
Then what's stopping us? We have a community full of mappers and modders here!
|Project releases|

Minigunner

Post by Minigunner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:20 am

What about modifying the Installer for the stable 1.0 release that allows you to choose certain optional components, such as skins and/or announcer?
Theshooter7 wrote:Also, to all those people who stack players for exploits: I hate you. Do I really need to seal off every inch of every map to prevent you from getting to places you shouldn't?

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 am

Minigunner wrote: What about modifying the Installer for the stable 1.0 release that allows you to choose certain optional components, such as skins and/or announcer?
Wouldn't that be more work for Torr and the others? I'm sorry but if I really want all that fluff, I'll download it as an optional wad or pk3. Less the space, the better for everyone. In fact, I was downloading the latest IDL and it was 60 MB. Why? because they use MP3s into their wads. I thought that was complete idiotic because it's useless. If I want to listen to music, I have my foobar running in the background.