Long term goals.

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

RE: Long term goals.

Post by StrikerMan780 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:32 pm

For that, I guess the only thing we can hope for is that the 3D Floor rendering becomes faster/more optimized in the future... (Or, a polygonal software renderer similar to Unreal 1/Quake/Vavoom's is adopted...)
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Torr Samaho wrote: Unfortunately that is the price one has to pay for added visuals that are not for purely cosmetic reasons. And even if you could turn them off, some maps would be pretty much unplayable if the 3D floors are invisible.
You can let the server decide it with a compatflag or something, though, like "allow software users to disable 3d floors".
Last edited by Ivan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Ivan wrote: You can let the server decide it with a compatflag or something, though, like "allow software users to disable 3d floors".
So that the server admin could allow players to disable 3D floors where disabling them doesn't give a competitive advantage? That could work. Does ZDoom already allow to disable them or is this only possible in kgsws' special build?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm

I have no idea sadly, I tried neither to be honest, I was just throwing ideas. I hope someone can confirm it though.
Last edited by Ivan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ermac

Post by Ermac » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Prehaps improved software doom engine. Comparing to ZDaemon engine which lacks of colors (no cyan, no green, no blue, no magenta and it's all reddish overall).

1. I would like option to draw sprite edges smoother or something scalex like (for Software renderer).

2. Console has intelisense like counter-strike console has or modern developing enviroments. You start typing some command and console suggests you what you can write. You don't have to memorize difficult commands. I start typing crosshair in console and it list me:
crosshair (int)
crosshaircolor (hextripletcolor)
crosshairscale (bool)
crosshairhealth (bool)
I would like that actually the types of arguments be included in intelisense.
Last edited by Ermac on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'sSs' Ermac ~ "Wasteland is harsh" (FOnline2 quote)

werewindle

Post by werewindle » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Ermac wrote: 2. Console has intelisense like counter-strike console has or modern developing enviroments. You start typing some command and console suggests you what you can write. You don't have to memorize difficult commands. I start typing crosshair in console and it list me:
crosshair (int)
crosshaircolor (hextripletcolor)
crosshairscale (bool)
crosshairhealth (bool)
I would like that actually the types of arguments be included in intelisense.
well, you can circle through autocomplete suggestions by pressing TAB. you get to know variable types by executing them without values. distinguishing bools and ints is questionable, because bools often become ints as development continues. :)

mistamontiel

Post by mistamontiel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:17 am

Get this server host to wise up.. :

He's the only server running the latest build of Z, and can't even get the Gametype right.. falsely advertising :rolleyes:
Last edited by mistamontiel on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZzZombo
Forum Regular

Post by ZzZombo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 pm

What about implementing Pawn based scripts for mods as it appears to be more advanced and flexible scripting language than ACS? Links: http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawn_(scripting_language). I used it to make some plugins to Source engine based games and found it much better than ACS just[spoiler]BECAUSE IT HAS REAL STRINGS![/spoiler]

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Qent » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Why not just use Lua?

ZzZombo
Forum Regular

Post by ZzZombo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm

[spoiler]IDK Lua so STFU :P[/spoiler]

Qent

Post by Qent » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Haha. Well as far as I can tell, Lua is more mainstream than Pawn. It's the scripting language used for UFO2000 and FreeSpace Open.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:00 pm

The is a typical "should be implemented in ZDoom first" issue.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm

For the ACS GameType check to support capture the flag/team deathmatch/etc as well, rather than just co-op/SP or DM.

Like, seriously. Would make my life infinitely easier.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Feel free to request such an ACS function. It should be simple to add and I'm recently in the mood to add ACS stuff ;).

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Qent wrote: Haha. Well as far as I can tell, Lua is more mainstream than Pawn. It's the scripting language used for UFO2000 and FreeSpace Open.
I like that the engine uses LUA, just because it's very forgiving and uses an easy-to-understand syntax, which makes modding easy for non-advanced users.
When you get into more complicated scripting like LUA, mods end up like they are in GMod, where the good code is kept locked up (you don't hardly see any example mods or code or tutorials beyond basic levels because people don't want competition) and every mod not written by an experienced coder is so horribly bugged or poorly written as to be laggy.
Fortunately the first issue would probably be resolved in that the clients download server code here.
I find it so disgusting that people sell gamemodes in GMod for hundreds of dollars...
Last edited by Llewellyn on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Web based server list and remote administration.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 pm

mega bump because well... i wanna know whats going on with the zdoom compatibility instead of 1000 or so its gotten to around 2500...

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:06 am

Ok guys it's been over a year and half. We need to access if we accomplished the list. Time to start thinking about the big changes of 2014 and projecting to 2015 and onward to at least 2020.

[spoiler]By the way does anyone know how to make Doomseeker use doom2.wad (actually being FreeDoom) as the default IWAD for Odamex?[/spoiler]

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 am

Llewellyn wrote:
Qent wrote: Haha. Well as far as I can tell, Lua is more mainstream than Pawn. It's the scripting language used for UFO2000 and FreeSpace Open.
I like that the engine uses LUA, just because it's very forgiving and uses an easy-to-understand syntax, which makes modding easy for non-advanced users.
When you get into more complicated scripting like LUA, mods end up like they are in GMod, where the good code is kept locked up (you don't hardly see any example mods or code or tutorials beyond basic levels because people don't want competition) and every mod not written by an experienced coder is so horribly bugged or poorly written as to be laggy.
Fortunately the first issue would probably be resolved in that the clients download server code here.
I find it so disgusting that people sell gamemodes in GMod for hundreds of dollars...
I actually never really liked LUA simply because I find it's syntax a hideous mess. I've had a lot of experience with Pawn (Thanks to SourceMod.), and I can vouch for it's ease of use, cleanliness and power. If ZDoom/Zandro or whatever gets Pawn Support, modeling it after how SourceMod uses it, would be the best route IMHO. I just find it very intuitive.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Here's a goal I think is worth pursuing:

An open source all-in-one package that includes Zan, Doomseeker, Freedoom, and the appropriate fmod.
Last edited by Drayko on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.