Long term goals.

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Drayko

Long term goals.

Post by Drayko » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:02 pm

What features would you like to see included in Zandronum at some time in the future?

What would we like the project to be like in 6 months? One year? Five years? A decade from now?

Konda
Forum Regular

RE: Long term goals.

Post by Konda » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Better OpenGL renderer. Up-to-date ZDoom base. And support for a language superior to ACS (like ACS++), if one ever comes out.
Last edited by Konda on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Konda wrote: Better OpenGL renderer. Up-to-date ZDoom base. And support for a language superior to ACS (like ACS++), if one ever comes out.
Pretty much those + new map sets for game modes, new resources and some remakes of the existing game modes. (Domination comes to mind) Also not to forget a better railgun, yeah!

But to be honest, I can feel this fork will be very successful now that it's seperate. I'm sure Torr and his crew will do an amazing job keeping up with Zdoom. (I had the chance to test the alpha in FNF and SNS and so far it's perfect)
Last edited by Ivan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:13 am

Within 1 year: The main website up and running with working download links.

Within 5 years: A better text chat system like ZDaemon but even beyond that with support for all European Latin alphabet characters, Greek, and Cyrillic sets, or even more.
Last edited by Drayko on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooseknuckle

Post by Mooseknuckle » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:12 am

Within n years: Full support for voxels including voxel view models à la Ace of Spades. EDIT: Also being able to render voxels as bound cubes instead of normal cubes.

Probably never: Built-in VoIP/voice chat.
Last edited by Mooseknuckle on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:17 am

Gimme an updated ZDoom codebase and awwwww yeahhhhh I'm set.

That, or just ditch everything we currently have and adopt UnrealScript AAHHAHA yeah not happening.

Blasphyx

Post by Blasphyx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:19 am

I don't think zandro will ever catch up with zdoom. We're behind by too many revisions. It's a shame, cause I'd really like a competent online doom port to support ROTT TC.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:13 pm

^yeah, that would be pretty awesome. There's also stuff like Xaser's Parkour which could be hilariously entertaining in multiplayer modes.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:40 am

Blasphyx wrote: I don't think zandro will ever catch up with zdoom. We're behind by too many revisions. It's a shame, cause I'd really like a competent online doom port to support ROTT TC.
We can't afford to get further behind. Full backport be a priority.
Last edited by Drayko on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Blasphyx wrote: I don't think zandro will ever catch up with zdoom. We're behind by too many revisions. It's a shame, cause I'd really like a competent online doom port to support ROTT TC.
The TC probably needs a lot more work to be fully supported, however I'm sure you can recreate all the weapons from RoTT, make some mediocre maps and put 'em all together for a RoTT Deathmatch. Hell, I'd help you do it if you made the maps :/
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Konda wrote:Better OpenGL renderer.
The newer GZDoom one would be just that. Now that the port is open-source this can legally happen. :)
Konda wrote:Up-to-date ZDoom base.
I asked Dusk, he says once Zanronum 1.0 is released the next push is going to be for ZDoom 2.4 compatibility. Beyond that? A little at a time - It's my hope that some more community members will step up and help, now that the source is readily available.
Konda wrote:And support for a language superior to ACS (like ACS++), if one ever comes out.
ZDoom's ACS VM actually supports a lot of more complex stuff. Much of the support needs to be on the compiler's side. ACC++ and DH-acc are both to handle this, including basic optimizations (which ZDoom ACC is not even capable of).
Blzut3 wrote:Only in the Doom community does one find something so obviously broken and then claim it's a feature.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Are there going to be any additions to Zandronum specific things like runes and game modes?
Last edited by Drayko on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Backport. Doggamn. Zdoom.

Just do this and Skulltag will suddenly become 9000 times more epic.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Drayko wrote: Are there going to be any additions to Zandronum specific things like runes and game modes?
At least for 1.0 nothing in this direction is planned. I consider 1.0 to be feature complete now, it just needs more testing and probably some more bug fixing.
HexaDoken wrote: Backport. Doggamn. Zdoom.
Updating our ZDoom base is one of the first things I plan to to after we finalized 1.0.

John Zombie
Forum Regular

Post by John Zombie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:04 pm

is there any plan to include some decent demo player allowing to pause, skip forward/backward etc, rather than just jump to the end of the match?
[quote=mr. Coherence]
Logging started at Sat Dec 28 00:47:52 2013
00:47:52 <capodecima> http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.p ... 8#pid55238
00:48:10 <capodecima> can you post something here ?
00:48:29 <capodecima> decay just crap talk about me all time when beat me and after avoid my challenge lol
[/quote]

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm

i just want things that made kswgs (or something so) that upgrade that make able to see health of all, use r_3Dfloors 0(set on/off), use noclip as spect and more
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 pm

John Zombie wrote: is there any plan to include some decent demo player allowing to pause, skip forward/backward etc, rather than just jump to the end of the match?
Going a little beyond, make the port have a standard demo format compatible with future releases.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 am

John Zombie wrote: is there any plan to include some decent demo player allowing to pause, skip forward/backward etc, rather than just jump to the end of the match?
Skipping backward in a demo is technically pretty challenging (and I have no plans to implement this), skipping forward is much easier. I just added the new command demo_skiptics (still in a very experimental stage, needs testing) that allows you to skip as many tics as you like. For instance, "demo_skiptics 35" skips a second, "demo_skiptics 2100" skips a minute and so on: http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=581
katZune wrote: i just want things that made kswgs (or something so) that upgrade that make able to see health of all, use r_3Dfloors 0(set on/off), use noclip as spect and more
Clients must not be allowed to turn off 3D floors, since this essentially allows them to see through 3D floors and thus can be considered as cheating (it's like a wallhack limited to overcome 3D floors). I don't know what the health stuff is, so I can't say whether it can be included or not. But as usual, if you have suggestions, please report them at the tracker (or voice your support in existing tracker tickets).
Alien wrote: Going a little beyond, make the port have a standard demo format compatible with future releases.
That's not feasible as it would either mean that we never change the netcode again or it would require future release to be able to process all older versions of the netcode.

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 pm

but 3D floors sometimes make lag :/ and since there is gzdoombuilder, is more easy to make 3D floors. that mean in few time we'll found maps with 3D floors everywhere
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Unfortunately that is the price one has to pay for added visuals that are not for purely cosmetic reasons. And even if you could turn them off, some maps would be pretty much unplayable if the 3D floors are invisible.