The Skulltag gamemode name

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Replicant
New User

RE: The Skulltag gamemode name

Post by Replicant » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Marcaek wrote: I don't think Carn would risk alienating his potential userbase with legal shenanigans, even if he were advised to do so.
Yeah, you don't have a choice. Either you protect your mark or you don't protect it and you lose the trademark. You think Apple wants to sue Apple a Day cafeteria? They don't, but if they don't then they lose the mark. The legal system is really designed to perpetually employ lawyers, but I digress. Look, if Carn gets picked up by a publisher he won't be calling the shots. He'll be the "face-man" maybe, but the publisher will do what's required, and that means C&D over a BS name.

You see this all the time. Apple didn't really want to sue Apple a Day cafeteria, but they made a show and did so. Starbucks didn't really want to sue Starbock Beer, but they did. Note that the last two names were different but similar. Trademarks exist supposedly to protect the consumer. If the name is similar enough to be confused with the mark, then the trademark prevents its lawful use within the same field. "Skulltagger" isn't a different enough name. It might be if Zandronum was in a totally different business, like, say a Tatoo Shop specializing in inking heads, but that's not the case.

infurnus
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm sorry Replicant, but I can't see past all the ignoratio elenchi in your posts. We can talk about what the law "ought" to allow or what people "might" do all day and night long, but that will get us nowhere.

The thing I want to know is, why is this issue relevant? Why would someone need to trademark a game mode? id Software didn't trademark DeathMatch, almost every game uses that word now. Free Radical didn't trademark Capture The Bag either.

Can you elaborate why we should be concerned about the trademark status of the word SkullTag in the context of a team based game mode featuring Skulls as a gameplay device? Could you also elaborate further on why you wish "to prove Torr wrong by waiting until Carn trademarks Skulltag" (your words)?

Also, why do you say "zark" so much?

Twister
Under Moderation

Post by Twister » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Carnevil allowed me to use the name for the game mode, I think he'd do the same for Zan
Last edited by Twister on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smart Cheese Technology

Mangetsu
New User

Post by Mangetsu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 am

I honestly want to ask you all a thing: do you REALLY think it's necessary to bring back Skulltag mode, no matter what?

Because I don't. I'd rather play Domination.

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:42 am

Skulltag is better than Domination.

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 am

Mangetsu wrote: do you REALLY think it's necessary to bring back Skulltag mode
wat

EDIT: Uh, I'm pointing out that it isn't being brought back- it was never removed.
Last edited by Synert on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyber'
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

Post by Cyber' » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 am

Skulltag gamemode is awesome.

I'll think of some names later.

(Space Tag)
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 am

ZanTag.

An alternative could be to make up a random item and just call it "item name here"-tag. I doubt anything will duplicate the personality of "Skull"tag though.

Replicant
New User

Post by Replicant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 am

infurnus wrote: I'm sorry Replicant, but I can't see past all the ignoratio elenchi in your posts.
If I'm reading you right, which I'm probably not, because this makes no sense: You believe I'm using a distractive logical fallacy, such as a Chewbacca Defense (doesn't it sound ridiculous when you put in these terms? I do hope this hasn't distracted you again). In fact, I've done nothing but site issues of concern involving the legal risks associated with the arbitrary decision to keep a game mode name the same, when the rights holder of said name is adamant about his ownership of the name, and has shown quite a vindictive streak.

Your use of ignoratio elenchi is incorrect here in that both the argument and the conclusion are valid, I'm not dodging anyone's argument by arguing a completely different point...

In fact, you've just (ironically?) invoked the very logical fallacy you accused me of. From the article you linked:
Wikipedia wrote: An example might be a situation where A and B are discussing whether the law permits A to do something. If A attempts to support his position with an argument that shows that the law ought to allow him to do the thing in question, then he is guilty of ignoratio elenchi
We're arguing whether the law permits us to use Carn's Skulltag brand without prior written consent... (Note that Trademark has little to do with the Copyright he's granted us). You're saying that the law OUGHT to allow us to use the name because we run an implementation of the game mode Carney created. I hope that's not an example of your critical thinking skills, no offense intended. In fact, it's not not clear at all that using the Skulltag mark carries no risk. I put it to you that any amount of thought on the matter would reveal at least some risk involved -- If not, then you're not qualified to make the distinction. It doesn't matter what the law OUGHT to let us do with Carney's brand. What matters is we actually are taking a risk for little to no reason which may jeopardize the future of the project needlessly.

I would apologize for my colorful presentation leaving you unable to reason beyond it if I were a more dishonest man.

Allow me to explain my position in such simple terms that even someone who throws around incorrect accusations of logical fallacy can understand.

From past events we can infer that one or the other is very likely true:
  1. Brand Carney does value his Skulltag brand.
  2. Brad Carney doesn't value his Skulltag brand.
We can also infer that one of the following is very likely true:
  1. Brad Carney would accept a publishing deal for Wrack.
  2. Brad Carney would not accept a publishing deal for Wrack.
The fact that such a deal would mean money paid for the development of the game, as well as the fact that he's previously sought publisher funding would mean it's more likely that the former is true.

Which of the following would be more likely true?
  1. Trademarks increase a product's value to a publisher.
  2. Trademarked status has little value to a publisher.
I put it to you that one of the next statements is true as well:
  1. Brad Carney will eventually add support for multiplayer game modes to his games.
  2. Brad Carney will never include support for multiplayer game modes to his games.
(Now, if the prior answer isn't immediately obvious, you can do your own research, but here's a hint: It's the first one.)

Which of these following statements is likely to be true?
  1. Brad Carney is likely to reimplement Skulltag in his new works.
  2. Brad Carney is unlikely to reimplement the game of Skulltag again.
The fact that ID kept reusing the "Quake" mark, though the games were very different and attributed this to trademark difficulties, and that Carn's own project had to be changed from Last Bastion to Wrack would weigh more in the direction of one of these:
  1. Established trademarkable names like Skulltag are hard to come by.
  2. It's easy to find a trademarkable name.
Though you may argue it's impossible to determine these absolutely either way I would say the argument is strongly in the favor that whether or not Carn decides to trademark Skulltag immediately, it's highly probable he will.

At such time he may well also be signed by a publisher, and in that event our legally defined as confusing use of the mark could easily be very detrimental to the Community as they'll be legally obligated to file a cease and desist, and possibly pursue legal remedy including possibly leveraging the DMCA, even if improperly.

Even if such is not the case, one of these is true:
  1. Brad Carney is prone to selfish emotionally driven decisions.
  2. Brad Carney is not prone to selfish emotionally driven decisions.
His "If I can't have it no one can!" mentality makes it ever more UNREASONABLE to keep the Skulltag name in Zandronum.

Now, I'm not really seeing any argument except what the law OUGHT to let us do with the name... You'll recognize such replies as irrelevant from your study of Wikipedia's vast database of logical fallacies.
The thing I want to know is, why is this issue relevant? Why would someone need to trademark a game mode?
It's relevant because now is a good opportunity to change it. We can thus show that although our repositories of past bear the Skulltag mark, we've done due diligence on our part in effort to remove ourselves from the infringing brand, and have not been merely leaching off the brand's popularity. (Which is what a lawyer would accuse, BTW)

Why do people patent or trademark anything? If you wish me to speculate, I'd say in order to appease the legal departments behind the securing of rights for the sale and distribution of a multi-player expansion pack to Wrack possibly called "Wrack Pack: Skulltag Mode". Such an event would no doubt require a trademark of the term in question if for no other reason than to ensure their own asses are sufficiently covered. I could think of a million other reasons. The fact that immediately following his pairing with Bobby Prince, Carn quickly took legal action to secure his other intellectual properties speaks to the fact that he's had some form of legal council or at least advice about how to make a publisher happy.
id Software didn't trademark DeathMatch, almost every game uses that word now. Free Radical didn't trademark Capture The Bag either.
I almost ignored the fact that you're once again invoking the same logical fallacy: It's irrelevant what they have or haven't done.

And yet, the term DeathMatch has been trademarked multiple times in at least the US... This you'd know if you had actually searched the trademark databases.
Can you elaborate why we should be concerned about the trademark status of the word SkullTag in the context of a team based game mode featuring Skulls as a gameplay device?
I believe I have. Could you elaborate on your vast experience with copyright and trademark law? I personally believe it to be lacking. Whereas, I'm only trying to help the community avoid harm with my own such experience.
Could you also elaborate further on why you wish "to prove Torr wrong by waiting until Carn trademarks Skulltag" (your words)?
That's easy:
Warfare wrote: obviously should change all, absolutely all about skulltag. This name should disappear
Monsoon wrote: i agree with warefare, what seriously the hell guys? is skulltag going to be called zandronum from now on?
Torr Samaho wrote: I don't see any reason to rename the game mode and have no plans to do so.
My post was split after these, for being off topic. I wish to prove Torr wrong because he's wrong. There ARE REASONS to rename the game mode, and WE SHOULD have plans to do so.

Ask your self honestly: Are you being perhaps a bit sycophantic? Why does my statement about proving Torr wrong really matter to you? Is it wrong to endeavor to prove anything at all when two minds are of opposing opinions? In short, because I think it'll help the community if not now, then in the long run at the least.

I also take mild offense to Torr's out of hand dismissal of the issue. He's clearly not thought this through, yet says he's seen no reason for such a change. I wasn't the only one who expressed the desire for the name to be removed. Apologists may excuse the disregard, but I would argue the issue does at least deserve proper consideration; I find it incredibly hard to believe that's what occurred.

One of these is more likely true:
  • Seeing multiple comments, Torr thought about this and detected no inkling of danger despite our rocky past with Carn.
  • Torr just stated his current opinion of the matter off hand.
I fear the latter becoming more common, so I made a stink as I felt the issue worth it.

To clarify, here's a "cheat sheet" of my stance in case you failed it
  1. Brand Carney does value his Skulltag brand.
  2. Brad Carney would accept a publishing deal for Wrack.
  3. Trademarks increase a product's value to a publisher.
  4. Brad Carney will eventually add support for multiplayer game modes to his games.
  5. Brad Carney is likely to reimplement Skulltag in his new works.
  6. Established trademarkable names like Skulltag are hard to come by.
  7. Brad Carney is prone to selfish emotionally driven decisions.
  8. Torr just stated his current opinion of the matter off hand.
Also, why do you say "zark" so much?
Come now, this question is clearly disingenuous.
Last edited by Replicant on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 am

Replicant wrote: We're arguing whether the law permits Us to us use Carn's Skulltag brand without prior written consent... You're saying that the law OUGHT to allow us to do so, when the fact is that's not clear at all.
infurnus wrote: We can talk about what the law "ought" to allow or what people "might" do all day and night long, but that will get us nowhere.
nop
Replicant wrote: stuff about trademarking
He's not using Skulltag any more or making profit from it, unlike Wrack or iD with Quake. This doesn't explain why he would want to trademark it.
Replicant wrote: And yet, the term DeathMatch has been trademarked multiple times in at least the US... This you'd know if you had actually searched the trademark databases.
Try me

oh, and being sarky as all hell won't get you anywhere
Last edited by Synert on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

X-Ray

Post by X-Ray » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 am

Cyber wrote:
Skulltag gamemode is awesome.

I'll think of some names later.

(Space Tag)
Skulltag gamemode is really fun i'd like it to stay. It's so much better than domination. But then again CTF beats any gamemode....

infurnus
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 am

Replicant wrote: I AM RUBBER YOU ARE GLUE NYA NYA NYAA~
Whoa there, calm down.

Ok, now we're getting into meta-agrument territory, that's too much for my brain.

I figured I would just ask Carn himself about if it's ok to use the SkullTag gamemode & gamemode name:
PM wrote: <Carnevil_> That's fine

<Carnevil_> But I have no grounds to sue
<Carnevil_> It's cool
<Carnevil_> Nobody cares about that
Then I mentioned some of the issues raised in this thread to him:
PM wrote: <Carnevil_> You guys are fucking crazy
<infurnus> haha
<Carnevil_> No, seriuosly
<Carnevil_> *seriously

<Carnevil_> Do whatever you want
<infurnus> ok man, laters
<Carnevil_> Who fucking cares what he thinks
<Carnevil_> People are idiots
<infurnus> haha ikr
<Carnevil_> You can't please them all
<infurnus> thanks for keeping it real <3
<Carnevil_> Thanks for using all my hard work to make a popular port of your own <3
<Carnevil_> Makes me feel special
<Carnevil_> ... or like a chump
<Carnevil_> One of the two
<infurnus> sorry man, I wish it could have gone differently
<Carnevil_> It's not your fault
<3 Carnevil_

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 am

I am so happy. I guess that settles it.
Last edited by Qent on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Replicant
New User

Post by Replicant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 am

infurnus wrote:
Replicant wrote: I AM RUBBER YOU ARE GLUE NYA NYA NYAA~
Whoa there, calm down.
If I weren't calm I'd have been calling you names, like "motherzarking fool" and such...

To be fair, you asked me to clarify my stance in detail, I did so. As simply and logically as I could. I think it's strange to devolve from that into such a childish retort.
I figured I would just ask Carn himself about if it's ok to use the SkullTag gamemode & gamemode name:
Carn wrote: ...
Who fucking cares what he thinks
Makes me feel special
... or like a chump
One of the two
I'd wager it's the latter of the two... and, who the zark trusts what he says? I've got no reason to. Does anyone? I mean, for one instance: Bastion was absolutely canceled, never would be brought back ever again per Carn's even more fervent swearing. Per him you'd be crazy to think anything could ever come from Bastion's efforts at all, it was done... totally dead forever. The contributors' work that would earn them a cut was all for naught. Tada Last Bastion is now Wrack! Oh, and he'll pay you a flat fee for them assets now, percentage cuts are out.

I've learned to be careful with assumptions. I've learned to be even more careful of zarkers like Carn who're consistently inconsistent. Thanks for going to the source, though... Really you had no other choice, I mean, you'd have had to refute some of my argument otherwise.

However, as someone who was once assured in the very same way Carn just has you, only to later be sued by the other party's publisher: This doesn't really put my mind at ease.

I'm sure your chat logs will make for irrefutable evidence if needed; As would have mine. If not for the legal fees being too much to bear I might have actually been able to win in court... I'm sure we'd all pitch in for a lawyer if it came to that, right?

This is likely to be as far as anyone's willing to discuss rationally, as you've evidenced, so I guess I'll just drop the issue.

I absolutely still believe keeping the name an arbitrary off hand decision. Why wouldn't anyone want to ensure such trademark issues simply weren't a possibility?

Still Looking for something more like logical reasoning. Interesting that we went from reason to heresay from the untrustable Carn.
Synert wrote:oh, and being sarky as all hell won't get you anywhere
Snark begets snark. Besides, I don't believe you at all. The outcome seemed zarking productive to me!
Last edited by Replicant on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drayko

Post by Drayko » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 am

I'm looking forward to playing Skulltag in Halo 4. :smile:

UnTrustable
Forum Regular

Post by UnTrustable » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 am

Replicant wrote: If the name is similar enough to be confused with the mark, then the trademark prevents its lawful use within the same field. "Skulltagger" isn't a different enough name. It might be if Zandronum was in a totally different business, like, say a Tatoo Shop specializing in inking heads, but that's not the case.
Ah, yeah i thought so. I wasn't quite sure when i wrote that, but left the post as it were.
That's the same situation my sister was in. She had chossen a name for her business, not even knowing that a simular name already existed, but it was slightly a different company.
Im back up to date again. Thanks. :biggrin:

Replicant
New User

Post by Replicant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 am

Drayko wrote: I'm looking forward to playing Skulltag in Halo 4. :smile:
I agree, except for the name. Despite the game's slower pace than Zandronum (which makes it easier to mask a sizable amount lag) the Head Hunter gametype can be zarking fun in Halo Reach already.

Note that's a good example actually... The strength of a trademark is inversely proportionate to how much one can correctly surmise from merely the field of work and the mark itself.

For example:
Ask someone who's not familiar with the games (just FPSs in general) what they think DeathMatch or Capture the Flag might entail in a game eg: Halo 4 or Zandronum.
Then ask people who've not heard of it what they think Head Hunter or Skulltag involves in FPS game. Betcha they're way off base with ST, but pretty much right on DM or CTF. That's actually a pretty good estimate of whether something might be valuable as a mark... Can't guess what it is from the name = stronger. "Catchyness" is a factor in value as well, but much harder to quantify.
Last edited by Replicant on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:30 am

Replicant wrote: It makes sense that if there were issue with Skulltag, Carn would have contacted Torr, in which case the forum would have been locked and left available so folks could get their content out
The hell are you talking about?
I mean it's not like Carn would ever lock everyone out or delete the forum database or anything, right?
...you do realise Carn has absolutely no control over these forums, right?

Give it a rest, Infurnus has effectively entirely debunked you by showing that Carn explicitly does not give a shit; even if he did then try to sue after (he wouldn't, ever, because it would be a giant waste of time that would be immediately dismissed before even going to court), that log would seriously harm his case.

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:28 am

That settles it then, the case is closed! Have a nice day.