[Curiosity Thread] Dafuq happened to CarnEvil

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
[id]Angel

[Curiosity Thread] Dafuq happened to CarnEvil

Post by [id]Angel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I Want to know what the hell happened to him
But why did u guys had a conflict on Skulltag, Does that explain why he is an asshole?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Find me ingame as [id]Angel

Gothic
New User

RE: [Curiosity Thread] Dafuq happened to CarnEvil

Post by Gothic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:19 pm

he's working on Wrack

Twister
Under Moderation

Post by Twister » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Carnevil was thrown into the 4th dimension, where he had to fight off hordes of man eating wiffle bats created by the devious minds behind "Jersey Shore".
Smart Cheese Technology

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:26 pm

No, this is what happened to Carn:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Twister
Under Moderation

Post by Twister » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:27 pm

I wish him the best of luck
Smart Cheese Technology

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Spoiler: I may be misinformed (Open)
Basically, from what I know, Carnevil is the host of skulltag.com, where the forums were located. As he was busy working on his game Wrack, as well as real life activities he was talking about in the doomworld forums, he did not have enough time (or didn't bother) to maintain the site and the forums. Instead, he'd wait for people to give him suggestions on how to approach the problem (forums acting weirdly), and he was also going to put extreme measures for issues that are not worth it (forum wipe). On the other hand, the staff that maintained the forums did not have enough access to fix the issues of the kind that were appearing on the forums. What happened, I guess, is that things remained the same after the problem was fixed, which caused this.
Last edited by Konda on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:36 pm

He threw a HISSY fit.

Get it?
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Nubcakes

Post by Nubcakes » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:42 pm

news alert;

http://www.skulltag.com/itends/

Welp! That's all folks! Time marches on for everyone. Lets get THIS show on the road!

Klofkac
Forum Regular

Post by Klofkac » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Konda wrote:
Basically, from what I know, Carnevil is the host of skulltag.com, where the forums were located. As he was busy working on his game Wrack, as well as real life activities he was talking about in the doomworld forums, he did not have enough time (or didn't bother) to maintain the site and the forums. Instead, he'd wait for people to give him suggestions on how to approach the problem (forums acting weirdly), and he was also going to put extreme measures for issues that are not worth it (forum wipe). On the other hand, the staff that maintained the forums did not have enough access to fix the issues of the kind that were appearing on the forums. What happened, I guess, is that things remained the same after the problem was fixed, which caused this.
Wouldn't be transferring forums to skulltag.net enough then?
𝕂𝕝𝕠𝕗𝕜𝕒𝕔

[id]Angel

Post by [id]Angel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 pm

If Skulltag is Zandronum, Why not redirect Skulltag.net to Zandronum.com
P.S. Will the Zandronum forums will have a Shoutbox
Last edited by [id]Angel on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Klofkac wrote:
Konda wrote:
Wouldn't be transferring forums to skulltag.net enough then?
Last time we did that we had to deal with a nasty aftermath (this was a full year before I joined staff, so I of course didn't directly deal with it at the time), and nobody wanted to deal with it again.
Last edited by The Toxic Avenger on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Qent » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:46 pm

As I understand it, we do not own the "Skulltag" brand, so transferring to skulltag.net isn't possible.

[id]Angel

Post by [id]Angel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:29 am

I See now
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Zaranell
New User

Post by Zaranell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:29 am

I spoke to Carnevil over Skype - initially to discuss Wrack - and the topic of this entire split came up. Don't consider this an official message from Carney, this is just me relaying what I learned. Basically, Skulltag has been dead to Carnevil ever since he left it to work on his own game. It's not necessarily that he hates what the port has become or something; he just stopped caring because he was done it with and had moved on. It's no secret he didn't like the staff that had taken over the development and the moderation of the forums, but he was more concerned with making Wrack than trying to "fix" the community.

Judging by what I've read on these forums, some people have a less-than-flattering opinion of him for shutting down Skulltag, as well as various other things. I would argue that he had every right to do whatever he wanted with Skulltag since he made the damn thing in the first place. He may have handed the reins over to someone else, but it was still his creation. Regardless of that debate, I think everyone can agree this is all for the better anyway. The dev team can now do whatever they want without having to worry about Carnevil's approval, and Carn can focus on making Wrack and just forget about Skulltag altogether. Everybody can move on.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 am

I can imagine that someone would tire of it after 6 years. I can see why he'd lose interest.

Tenchu
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: LF

Post by Tenchu » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am

Medicris wrote: I can imagine that someone would tire of it after 6 years. I can see why he'd lose interest.
6 years? Lmao try again.
[22:42:21] [@SkullRush] ok guys today was one of the worst days of my life i spent p much 18 hours in my pc watching hentai and played doom with huge lag i guess i shiould go to bed now
[22:42:26] [@SkullRush] if i dont suicide, see you guys tomorrow
[22:42:29] [@SkullRush] bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb^_^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[22:43:02] • Quit: (SkullRush) (~SkullRush@SkullRush.users.zandronum.com) ("Quitting")
[22:43:40] [+Jenova] wow
[22:43:47] [+Jenova] ur avg zandronum player ladies and gentlemen

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 am

Zaranell wrote: I would argue that he had every right to do whatever he wanted with Skulltag since he made the damn thing in the first place. He may have handed the reins over to someone else, but it was still his creation.
So to take you up on the arguement I would point out that's not really how the world works. If you're going to move to the sidelines and hand a project to a new lead, you should have a full transfer of ownership. While it would be wrong to completely disregard the people who have contributed to the project in the past, there shouldn't be any compulsion to say "you started this project, thus you have full access and can step in to steer every now and then even though for the most part you're on the side lines with everyone else." If you hand over a project to new leadership, and you don't like the way the project is going then tough, start a new fork.

I can name at least two examples of this scenerio happening: MySQL -> MariaDB, PunBB -> FluxBB. I don't know the full history of these projects, but I do know the fork was started by the founding developer of the original.

Power isn't something that you give out of respect, it's something that is granted because it is needed. Doing otherwise leaves you with an unnecessary security risk.
Last edited by Blzut3 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avi

Post by Avi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 am

Another example of that can be found with Perfect Dark. All the lead developers for Goldeneye 64 were hoping because of the great success they'd get to work on a sequel game, only to find that Nintendo chose not to continue with it. Which lead to Perfect Dark, and the great success that had. Then, once again, they couldn't get Nintendo to sign onto a sequel. The spiritual sequel to that was Timesplitters... for the Playstation 2.

Also worth noting that it's usually considered unprofessional in the programming world to try to hold the rights of something while passing all the work along, and yet trying to maintain control. And since there certainly wasn't any profit making involved...

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:31 pm

He got wracked

Qent

Post by Qent » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Zaranell wrote: I would argue that he had every right to do whatever he wanted with Skulltag since he made the damn thing in the first place. He may have handed the reins over to someone else, but it was still his creation.
I think no one disputes that he had the right to do what he did. If he had no right, then we would have simply prevented him from doing it and gone about our business. But just because one has the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. (That cuts both ways in this case.)