[Curiosity Thread] Dafuq happened to CarnEvil

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
king
Registered just to make one post

RE: [Curiosity Thread] Dafuq happened to CarnEvil

Post by king » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 pm

I hope Everything will be ok, but Doom online gaming MUST live on! :smile:
King aka neophyte SK

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:18 pm

You know sometime in the future it'll end or people will make up stories about this and tell it wrong.
Did you just bite me? Come here, I will bite you back bastard.

Zaranell
New User

Post by Zaranell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:39 pm

The counter-arguments to my post are certainly valid; I suppose it's just a matter of opinion and circumstance. I'm tempted to back up what I said with an analogy, but I suppose there's no point. As I said, this works out better for everyone anyway. It's pretty much said and done now, as far as I can tell.

ALIENwolve

Post by ALIENwolve » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Zaranell wrote: The counter-arguments to my post are certainly valid; I suppose it's just a matter of opinion and circumstance. I'm tempted to back up what I said with an analogy, but I suppose there's no point. As I said, this works out better for everyone anyway. It's pretty much said and done now, as far as I can tell.
Wait, no, we left our iPod charger back at Skulltag.com. Looks like we're going back.

Besides, now it's all spaaaace in the ninetiiiiiies. So cool.

Still concerned about the name, though. Everyone's just going to nickname it every time they speak the name.

Zaranell
New User

Post by Zaranell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 pm

ALIENwolve wrote:Wait, no, we left our iPod charger back at Skulltag.com. Looks like we're going back.
I told you to make a checklist.
ALIENwolve wrote:Still concerned about the name, though. Everyone's just going to nickname it every time they speak the name.
I say we just call it Zandy. Or Zandy Doom.

Replicant
New User

Post by Replicant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Let's say you were an indie game developer like Carn. It's a tough market out there, It takes lots of time to build and promote your game. Your future depends on your ability to sell the new game you're pouring your heart into for years. EVERYTHING depends on the new game's success. That old project (ST) just can't take too much of your time. The devs for the old project keep bugging you about permissions and fixing stuff you just don't have time or skill to deal with. If the situation is making him look a little bad, what would you expect Carn to do? Give up the keys to the kingdom? Sure, he's not interested in ST anymore, but it's HIS.

I mean, seriously. Of course you just shut down the zarking annoying ancient project. It's not like anyone in that community was going to buy your new game, right? I mean, the new game has NOTHING to do with the old project. It's not like all that history and info was really useful to anyone but modders working on the old project. Sure the forums are where they're advertising their mods and collaborating on new stuff for Skulltag, but zark that: Carn's got a new modding platform now. The best way to get people to use it is to close down the other mod community.

Seriously, it's not like Carn's early adopters for his new game were gonna be from the Skulltag community, right? Get real. It's not like he met all of his team members through Skulltag. It's not like the three maps and those models he's "released" for alpha version were made by kick-ass Doom/Skulltag modders. For zark's sake, you'd think he met his bad ass music composer just because he worked on a Doom source port? PUH-LEEEASE!

Hell, no. Carn is a motherzarking god. He's just that zarking awesome, and everyone knows it. That's how come he'll succeed. He doesn't need anyone else.

Carnevil doesn't need the dumbzark Skulltag community's help to buy his new game or spread the word. Zark those poor fools. He's such a good PR man he can sell flowerpots to sperm-whales if he wants to. It's not like there's a ton of other games that are on par with his unreachable quality. Do you seriously think someone's going to play a multi-player game like Warsow for free when they could pay for his zarking amazing unfinished single player game?

There's really no excuse to NOT start modding for Wrack. With a guy like Carn at the helm, you know it's not just going to get cancelled or renamed at a whim. With Carn as your community leader, you can be sure your modding work won't be a waste of time; It'll be golden for, like, ever -- Wrack's guaranteed to be around for zarking months!

Good for Carn. He should have done this a long time ago.

It's like the wise-man said:
Chickens are easier to count before they hatch.
-or-
Every man is an island, so Life's a Beach.

He didn't need us, so he got rid of that dead weight. Wouldn't you?

[spoiler]Seriously, what Carn did is suicidal for an indie game dev. I'm worried about him, this BS was really painful to watch.

Sorry for the sarcastic rant. I do feel better now. Glad we're done with him, it's for the best.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Replicant on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:12 am

flowerpots to sperm-whales
10/10, would read again

Zaranell
New User

Post by Zaranell » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:23 am

If that's what you actually think Carnevil's attitude is, Replicant, I would suggest actually talking to him for once instead of just making your own assumptions. There is an underlying fair criticism in your statement, but he didn't shut things down just out of spite. I'll say no more than that - I've already dragged the topic on too much.