Viability of Raspberry Pi Zandronum server

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
darklord42

Re: Viability of Raspberry Pi Zandronum server

Post by darklord42 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:03 am

Thank-you so much for your efforts guys. Following your instructions on the wiki I managed to get a nice little server running brutal doom deathmatch with the rpi2. (I imagine the rpi3 would be quite a bit better with the better processor) Out of curiosity, how many people have been able to connect to these things at a time? A look at "free and top" it doesn't look like I'm running any risk of running out of RAM or CPU with 3 or 4. (I managed to trim a lot down running it at runlevel 3, and killing a few extra unneeded processes, and have ~830mb to work with). I've had issues with 4 people joining and me dropping out, but because of the nature of how it happened I think it might be port related shenanigans. I don't think I had my router setup correctly and was only forwarding the one port and not the range. But I wont know if that's correct until i get another game of 4 or more people :)

grrfield

Re: Viability of Raspberry Pi Zandronum server

Post by grrfield » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Well, i'm running a server "cluster" on a rpi3B+ for almost a year now (and before on a rpi2B+). Mostly i'm running four servers at the same time (while only one gets populated with more people as people tend to attract people, esp. in multiplayer games). I allow for 10 simultanious connections per server. It really is doable for most wads, even with ten people connected, BUT, as the mob count increases, lag will be introduced. A 5K mob wad is unplayable on a rasp, while a 1K mob wad is doable with 3-4 connections, it becomes unplayable with 10 connections. It also depends on the wad itself and the amount of trickery that has been used. Sometimes even simple wads won't allow for more than 2-3 players, while other huge wads easily take 10 people. Strange indeed.

I'm just revisiting this forum in fact to ask whether someone knows if Zandronum could be compiled on the new Asus Tinker Board (which has a Rockchip RK3288 ARM Cortex-A17)? It's not that cheap, but seemingly a helluvalot faster. I'm considering to buy one of these, but some doom-compliance is a necessity for me :cool: