Cheello's Voxelised 3D upgrade for Doom 1 in Zandronum

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
ReL0aDed
New User

Cheello's Voxelised 3D upgrade for Doom 1 in Zandronum

Post by ReL0aDed » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:50 pm

Not many days ago there was a release of a sprite to voxel conversion for Doom 1 (The Ultimate Doom) with all the items & monsters manually converted from 2D sprites to 3D voxels. In my subjective opinion this is the most authentic & faithful way of transforming the 2D sprites to actual 3D in the old Doom games, and this may as well be the best approach of making authentic 3D models for all boomer shooters from the 90s that was made for MS-DOS machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aVt77epQ4

The author of these 3D models, Cheello, has already made a similar project for Blood 1 (Blood Coagulated mod) and is now working hard at making authentic 3D voxels for the items & monsters in Doom 2. This voxel mod currently runs on GZDoom, which I read that Zandronum is built upon. However, as of now it doesn't seem that Zandronum can run this voxel mod for Doom 1.

Is this voxel mod going to be supported by Zandronum in the future, or does the author of this mod have to reconfigure this mod to make it work with Zandronum?

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Re: Cheello's Voxelised 3D upgrade for Doom 1 in Zandronum

Post by WaTaKiD » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:08 pm

it uses zscript and according to the voxel_readme.txt within the wad, it requires gzdoom 4.8.2+, both of which zan wont be supporting any time soon unfortunately

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:52 pm

I don't think it does anything that requires ZScript at all though. Could probably be converted easily.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)

Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Post by Zeberpal » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:42 pm

ReL0aDed
New User

Post by ReL0aDed » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:46 am

Are the pictures above actually the voxel models running in Zandronum? If so, does it run well in Zandronum, can this be applied by users as of now in Zandronum by following certain steps etc?

RickWinger
Registered just to make one post

Post by RickWinger » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:11 pm

ReL0aDed wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:46 am
Are the pictures above actually the voxel models running in Zandronum? If so, does it run well in Zandronum, can this be applied by users as of now in Zandronum by following certain steps etc?
I was able to mash Cheello's Voxels into working for Zandronum.

All I did was delete every file that gave conflicts one-by-one until it worked.

As you may see, the Bot that I spawned had a strange texture applied to him, but the enemies seemed normal and fine. Do not know what the above poster did, since all they posted were some screenshots.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:58 pm

Zeber's conversion involved changing the player voxels into a set of MD3 models, since voxels can't be translated in Zandronum AFAIK, creating a distorted color mess like this.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)