Can anyone hear or feel stuff most don't?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
NizZY'

Can anyone hear or feel stuff most don't?

Post by NizZY' » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:13 pm

It's weird and makes me feel like an X-Men lol. I can hear my dads pacemaker ticking standing 10 feet from him. I hear it LOUD. Like a clock right in my ear loud. When I ask my mom or others if they hear it, I get a "no" all the time unless their ear is on his chest. I can also hear or feel a frequency of when a television is on, even when its pitch black with nothing on it. I used to tell my dad to turn it off all the time and he would always say "It is off!". Then I'll walk in his room and there it is, cable off but TV still on.
Anyone else have stuff like this? I feel like a total weirdo.

Springy
Forum Regular

RE: Can anyone hear or feel stuff most don't?

Post by Springy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 pm

No I get that sometimes as well. Remember though older people can't really hear high pitch sounds as well as a young person can.
[quote=Zero X Diamond ]Careful, you don't want to push that Pikachu dude to action. Who knows what unspeakable things lie in store for you? Maybe he'll... send you another nasty tweet![/quote]
[quote=Sonter_Man]Autism runs amok on zandaemon[/quote]

Metal
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Metal » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:55 pm

I have this problem, and have had it since I was younger. It's just a sensitivity to sound. Some people have it to light. The only real nice thing about it is that your hearing is extremely good. I do have it with my sight as well but it's not as noticeable as the sound, no one knows how to describe it though and people usually shrug it off. There's lots of different stuff like that where it gets weird. Like if I'm asleep or even half awake, I can feel if someone is in my room or if I have my headphones on, it's almost like I can hear or feel their presence. It's like you can hear/feel the air changing and shifting when they move. Still think you're weird? :P
Last edited by Metal on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 pm

I have extra-sensitive hearing as well as trained pitch/scale recognition. I can hear my parents talking from the other side of the house, and I can tell you the exact key or chords of a song I hear.

Also, while we're on the subject of hyper-sensory stuff ... I get this from time to time but it's especially noticeable when I'm sleep-deprived (such was the case this morning): Whenever I think of (or imagine myself in) a situation where "morality" is questioned, I feel a weird "pulse" sensation in my frontal lobe. It's like a sharp, quick throbbing. Oddly enough, the frontal lobe has something to do with self-assessment and judgement.

Example: "I wonder if anyone would notice if I stole that case of soda..." *THROB!* "onoes my moralfag senses are tingling"
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Only if it was about dreaming, then I would be in the club.

Sadly, It is not about dreaming.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

NizZY'

Post by NizZY' » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Metal wrote: I have this problem, and have had it since I was younger. It's just a sensitivity to sound. Some people have it to light. The only real nice thing about it is that your hearing is extremely good. I do have it with my sight as well but it's not as noticeable as the sound, no one knows how to describe it though and people usually shrug it off. There's lots of different stuff like that where it gets weird. Like if I'm asleep or even half awake, I can feel if someone is in my room or if I have my headphones on, it's almost like I can hear or feel their presence. It's like you can hear/feel the air changing and shifting when they move. Still think you're weird? :P
Haha, well it's good to know I'm not alone. I have some cases where I'll feel when someone is around me in my sleep. Not all the time though. Ever have noises happening outside get played by your dreams? One time my alarm was going off and I was actually battling an alarm clock to stop in my dream. It took me a while to wake up.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:14 pm

That's actually a pretty common phenomena. There have been countless times where I fall asleep infront of the TV or with headphones on and can hear the audio in my dream. Dreams are pretty much projections. In other words, it's not like your brain goes into a totally isolated bunker when you're dreaming. You're still open to visual and auditory stimuli (usually just auditory, since most people sleep with their eyes closed, except for me).

ZandroSkins

NizZY'

Post by NizZY' » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Haha, interesting. I'll look into that some more.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:23 pm

While we're on the subject of weird neurological phenomena, does anyone here besides me experience ASMR?

ZandroSkins

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Am extra sensitive to the smell of sweat and I hope I lose it because whenever I enter a bus I know I'd need a gas mask.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm

I've had this. REALLY annoying when I'm trying to sleep and I can hear everything going on in the house.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Tor-Bjorn wrote: I've had this. REALLY annoying when I'm trying to sleep and I can hear everything going on in the house.
It happens to me too, but my hearing is normal. It gets annoying.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:49 pm

You guys should have asked your doctor if Zandronum is right for you.
Last edited by Konda on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:45 pm

I have a sensory disorder to the point where it affects all 5 senses. As an example, I can hear the high pitched whine of a CRT TV which is at about 15,500 Hz. Also at one point, I was at a friend's house (not my friend, my sibling's friend) and I was walking up the driveway. As I turned the corner of the driveway towards the door, I heard a ULTRA-High pitched sound. After about 3 or 4 exposures from said sound, I got a really bad headache from it. Afterwards,I was then told it was a cat whistle which is obviously higher than 15,500 Hz.
On the charge of playing the Sega Saturn port of Doom, I find myself guilty as charged LOL

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:26 pm

It's a tradeoff... My eyesight is horrible and I depended a lot on hearing. If I wore glasses instead of contacts I'd be walking around looking like Farnsworth.

On the flipside I can hunt though, since I spent a long time without vision as a kid and got used to using hearing and touch for everything. So being more aware of things like the sound and feel of the wind's direction, and locating faint distant noises that others don't apparently notice feels like a nice enough compromise to not being able to read words past 4 inches without my lenses. Even if it's not spectacular like hearing cat whistles and whatnot.

As a kid I always heard things other kids didn't. I still don't know how kids put the volume of their iPods at the volume they do and survive it :v
Last edited by Medicris on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm

I can hear 18k Hz dog whistles, which is fun... not.

Captain Izayoi

Post by Captain Izayoi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm legally blind without my glasses. My vision is worse than 20/400, or in other words for the laymen, you can't use a standard letter chart to guesstimate my vision. So, I tend to hear and feel my way around, and often times find myself hearing footsteps in games like TF2.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I wouldn't exactly say I'm any special in terms of hearing/feeling. Other than being quite unprovocable, but that's nothing special.

I am however, cursed with a snotty nose and eternal sneezing. And I also get a fast, chilling pulse going through me. Which results in a pretty bad twitch.

Being able to see a couple of seconds into the future about something nasty once in a while is quite nice too, especially when you promptly ignore that thought and it happens anyways.

Also my vision kind of has a funny duplication issue, with a slight "ghosting" offset a bit to the top-right of the actual image.
How it works is a bit of a mystery (it disappears if it's in the blurry radius something is so close to my eye that it blurs out), but it helps a lot with seeing through small gaps.

At the small price of blurry vision, of course.

I also have no idea how people read something that's just too small for me to make something out of.

It seems to me like the normal human vision is unlike how games display their stuff.
Though to me, a focus-less camera seems very natural. (Of course I can't really describe stuff at the edge of my vision, but isn't that a normal limitation?)
Last edited by Bloax on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NizZY'

Post by NizZY' » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:15 am

Llewellyn wrote: I can hear 18k Hz dog whistles, which is fun... not.
Lmao, my friend once pointed one of those anti bark trainer devices in my ear, it hurt like hell.

chesse20
Forum Regular

Post by chesse20 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 am

like sometimes my phone is silenced and viberate is off but i can sense it when it go off