The FCC has gutted Net Neutrality

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Fabysk
Forum Regular

The FCC has gutted Net Neutrality

Post by Fabysk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:09 am

I'm certain everyone on here is aware of FCC's plan to kill net neutrality. Earlier today, the vote has passed. While the effects in which will be placed are not going to happen yet, it will slowly grow overtime.

There are many sources you can look into to read more about it. I have provided one.

What are your thoughts about this move the FCC committed? Keep it civil here.

Here are my thoughts:
It's not even the slightest of bright ideas to make the Internet a form of business for ISP's. Yes it is provided to use by our ISP's, but allowing them to control how fast, slow, what we can or can not look up, prices, etc.. is not right. It's pretty much paying for something you've already paid for. Imagine EA as your ISP. It's a nightmare.
I'm a college student taking online courses. Not entirely sure how this "plan" will work, but if paying extra just to access the sites I need to do work is needed is something I do not support.
The fast and slow lane part is already bad as it sounds. Most people will be on the slow lane and there's already heavy amounts of website traffic that the slow lane will be congested and harder to reach the websites we want to access.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Re: The FCC has gutted Net Neutrality

Post by Lollipop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Net neutrality doesn't just implode after this you know, it just reverts back to the state of regulation it was at until 2015, which as far as I know did its job. Quite a few of the incidents of net neutrality problems that have been highlighted have been within the timeframe where the previous legislation was in effect.
Furthermore, this also puts the FTC back into monitoring the state of affairs again, which means that there are two agencies keeping an eye out for misbehavior.

The supposed internet apocalypse won't happen, just think of how the consumer market will react if an ISP screws them over: They will try to find another ISP. Sure, there aren't exactly dozens of them available everywhere, but it opens up a market for ISPs that don't do such things.

As for the fast lane approach, from the little I have gathered it's about companies using large amounts of bandwidth actually paying their ISPs for all that bandwidth. Besides, if you pay for some n Mb/s, then your internet provider is obligated to provide that regardless of the other services they are providing, otherwise the FTC will come in and do their thing because they are committing fraud against you, even if this is due to confestion in their autonomous system(s). Heck things like this already exist at various places, such as Riot Games paying ISPs in various countries for special internet service agreements to ensure stable connections to their servers.
Besides, it is likely that the content providers will be eating these expenses. After all, they are the ones the ISPs have beef with because they produce enormous amounts of traffic, and the ISPs can't really do anything about that. With this change of regulation, the ISPs can both make the content providers pay proportionally to the amount of traffic they cause in the network, and they can develop new and more diverse internet solutions to these customers, solutions that will be directed at providing end users faster and more stable access to their services with less latency.

I won't rule out that this might turn out to be a bumpy ride, but if problems show up then they will probably be dealt with.

Furthermore, last I checked no one trusted big companies to prioritise the rights and well being of the general public over their own agendas. Why do they do so now? Think about it, why do big companies such as Netflix stand against the decision?

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Re: The FCC has gutted Net Neutrality

Post by Zakken » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Lollipop wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm
The supposed internet apocalypse won't happen, just think of how the consumer market will react if an ISP screws them over: They will try to find another ISP. Sure, there aren't exactly dozens of them available everywhere, but it opens up a market for ISPs that don't do such things.
The big cable companies don't even allow for competition in most places, so good luck with that!
Lollipop wrote:
Besides, it is likely that the content providers will be eating these expenses. After all, they are the ones the ISPs have beef with because they produce enormous amounts of traffic, and the ISPs can't really do anything about that. With this change of regulation, the ISPs can both make the content providers pay proportionally to the amount of traffic they cause in the network, and they can develop new and more diverse internet solutions to these customers, solutions that will be directed at providing end users faster and more stable access to their services with less latency.
Yeah, and who do you think will be able to pay such expenses? Aside from corporations like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc., every humble website that happens to have a lot of traffic would struggle to keep themselves alive. That could pretty much put almost (if not all) Doom websites you know out of business. Just because ISPs haven't gone that far in the past doesn't mean they should ever be granted the authority to do so.
Lollipop wrote:
Furthermore, last I checked no one trusted big companies to prioritise the rights and well being of the general public over their own agendas. Why do they do so now? Think about it, why do big companies such as Netflix stand against the decision?
Because those big companies would lose out on a lot of money, money they could've put to use in improving their platforms, just so they fill American ISPs' greedy pockets. Verizon, Comcast and the like already monopolise the entirety of US internet traffic, yet they have the audacity to tell you they aren't cashing in sufficient amounts to keep their services up? Something's definitely fishy here.