What's up in the Doom community these days?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: What's up in the Doom community these days?

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Vulpeka wrote: Hell I remember back in the day when I used to play. When I would join a server I wouldn't have to download more than two to three wads now it's like six or seven.
Yeah, it's basically years and years of mod content accumulating without an active maintainer. Happens a lot.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 pm

Vulpeka wrote: And fad diarrhea is everywhere! It's existed in skulltag and zandronum for a long time. The way you counter it is you get people out of their comfort zone and you get them to play new wads and gamemodes.

When I think of fad diarrhea I think of fad wads and fad pwads.
Few things:

There's no way to counter players and their comfort zones. That's Doom and why it's in the current state it is in. People don't want to play anything new or anything remotely new. They don't want a new spin on old ideas or an update and it's why CTF is dead because it's the same 10 maps on repeat in Boom format. The reason? Multi-port. We have 3 online doom ports that only want old shit. Zandronum has a modding scene outside of competitive so they enjoy some of the newer/older Zdoom features, but Zdaemon nor Odamex wants to move on or can't. They'll forever be stuck where they are and have no intention of leaving their zone. I give respect to UD only because they made the attempt to scrim on Zandronum last year but there's no feasible way to do what you are porposing. The popular wads begrudgingly try new things when forced but that requires work.. a lot of work. If you want something done: do it yourself. Anything that is any other gamemode is usually shit anyway like Skulltag, Runscape capture wtfever and domination.

2ndly: Fad diarrhea is memes not wads. This has been a thing since I came around 2010 and it's even older than that. Usually a sentiment from a few popular people is espoused and suddenly everyone and their lowly low tier nobodies will follow it. Skulltag/Zandronum have leagues of sheep waiting on the next post/comment on forums or irc to say something and then spread horrible memes around. Remember Skullrant? That's fad diarrhea. What? Specific popular people made/join a new clan? Everyone and their friends leave their clans for that. What's this? I was invited to leave my clan cause I am friends with a specific person in a clique? Time to hop. This has happened for years and it isn't that people are scarce (I mean they are), but because they have no loyalties. They just want to be apart of some meme. We don't need more memers in this community we need more seriously functional and responsible people.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Vulpeka
Under Moderation
Clan: Princess Perfect Pee
Clan Tag: -</{[]}\>-

Post by Vulpeka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
Vulpeka wrote: Hell I remember back in the day when I used to play. When I would join a server I wouldn't have to download more than two to three wads now it's like six or seven.
Yeah, it's basically years and years of mod content accumulating without an active maintainer. Happens a lot.
Maintaining is hugely important but it requires you to have some mapping and script skills. I've only done it twice, it requires a lot of time and you basically have to work in teams. But optimizing a wad is a self satisfying experience. I remember optimizing Sonic Death Match and I took all of the MP3's out and replaced them with MIDI files the wad went down from 20 megabytes to 2 megabytes. The solution is to instead of making patches for pwads is to merge all of the code and assets together and create a single wad.

Unless of course the wads are just full of furry skins, suggestive images, and 4chan sounds.

But that's not everybody.
I remind myself how I am just simply Trapped~ LKING FR A MMMY

Craving that Gentle Touch

I'm not a fucking millennial I don't take the internet seriously!