Find the wad!

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Metal
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Find the wad!

Post by Metal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Ever play a wad or mod and can't remember for the life of you what it was called? Is it ancient or maybe just not that popular? Here you can ask for assistance on what the mod/wad might be so you can retrieve it.

This sticky is posted to help people find wads that they can only describe but not find/remember the name of.

These are some guidelines to help you describe what you're looking for as accurately as possible.
  • A description of what game mode the wad is made for. (Deathmatch, duel, survival, coop, etc)
  • Did the wad have different colors other than what the normal doom palette allows?
  • Were there new monsters in it?
  • Try to give a good description of what was in the maps (If not a modification)
  • Were there new items or weapons added to this mod/wad?
In order for people to help find the wad you're looking for, try to remember as much as you can about the wad/mod.

To those responding to the requests, please provide a link (If possible, there may be some that are no longer retrievable) and the title of the wad/mod.

10/25/20 - added by TTA: Please use this thread for requesting a link for a wad too rather than bumping the original thread. If you bump a wad thread asking for it your post will be split from there and moved to here (you will not be warned unless it's very habitual).

Some useful links to find wads
Doomworld/idgames
The Sentinel's Playground
Last edited by The Toxic Avenger on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

RE: Find the wad!

Post by HexaDoken » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I shall now post in this thread while also sneakily and shamelessely self-plugging myself as the one who came up with the idea for such a thread.

This one will be tricky.

I seek for a mod that brings RPG mechanics into the ever-awesome world of Doom. And not some random one - a specific one.

I remember very little about it. A rather distinctive trait of it was the fact that most of it's codebase was stolen from yet another doom RPG mod, which I just so happen to be a co-author of. There was some fuss about it, people got blamed, I think there was a largefont red text put in the OP thread crediting the original mod author, usual stuff.

Regardless, the mod never quite got popular and died a quiet death on it's own.

Other things I remember about it is that it had R667 monsters. Also, if you would open it and take a peek in DECORATE, you would see monster definitions with weird semi-russian names(ZMBI4, cherepok, kostyashka, etc.). Before you ask, no, I don't remember the name.

What's kinda bad is that I don't remember if this mod was posted anywhere other than on Skulltag forums(yeah Skulltag was most certainly a thing back then). I've just searched through ZDoom forums, for no avail(but then again the search function might have been failing me or I might have been blind, or both combined), and with Skulltag forums we have a rather obvious problem.

If anybody could take their time finding the wad and uploading it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Last edited by HexaDoken on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

someoneelse
Forum Regular

Post by someoneelse » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:16 pm

There was a wad, single player, with some plot, heavily scripted. I remember some kind of Hell, marine having friends and one dying dramatically (?) and some cone-shaped structure you should climb on ( ??? ), and a boss spamming some.. flame balls? It is very old (well, before Zandronum for sure). I don't remember if it was for Skulltag, Zdoom or one of those other ports, but remembering that besides Legacy I never really appreciated any not-zdoom based port it probably was Zdoom-based one.
Shared keys will now be in Zandro! Thanks devs for their work, and users for the support!
<AlienOverlord> Do you have any friends at all
<AlienOverlord> You play Doom

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Hypnotoad wrote: The second wad contained some sort of puzzle and platforming map, before jumpmaze and related wads came about. I remember the first section had you drop down into a bouncepad, probably through a tunnel before bouncing back up to a hallway (although again can't remember that well because my memory is fuzzy). The hallway had doors leading to areas with various challenges, one was a set of platforms in the sky you needed to jump across, another was a series of crushers you needed to get past.
Sound familiar to anyone?
Last edited by Hypnotoad on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UDO303
New User

Post by UDO303 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 am

Good thing this thread is here...

back in the ST days there was a recurrent server called "Toke N' Play" or something along those lines and it had a drug-themed deathmatch wad with drug-themed weapons ("magic blunt" for example), I also remember it used pictures of the Insane Clown Posse for some of the wall textures.

I don't recall it having more than one level, but the one I played once or twice was a town/city with small houses, kitchens, beds, toilets and all that. The whole thing was very surreal and it used neon colors combined with a dark skybox.

I'm not a stoner but that wad provided some of THE most fun moments I've ever had in Doom and I'd love to "borrow" one of the custom weapons on it.
Last edited by UDO303 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:31 am

UDO303 wrote: Good thing this thread is here...

back in the ST days there was a recurrent server called "Toke N' Play" or something along those lines and it had a drug-themed deathmatch wad with drug-themed weapons ("magic blunt" for example), I also remember it used pictures of the Insane Clown Posse for some of the wall textures.

I don't recall it having more than one level, but the one I played once or twice was a town/city with small houses, kitchens, beds, toilets and all that. The whole thing was very surreal and it used neon colors combined with a dark skybox.

I'm not a stoner but that wad provided some of THE most fun moments I've ever had in Doom and I'd love to "borrow" one of the custom weapons on it.
whatdafuck.wad

http://ftp.floorchan.org/wads/whatdafuck.wad

UDO303
New User

Post by UDO303 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Catastrophe wrote:whatdafuck.wad

http://ftp.floorchan.org/wads/whatdafuck.wad
wow that was fast, thank you :smile:

While on this topic I might as well ask about an "instagib" of sorts wad for deathmatches called rifle battle or sniper battle, which used some really nice bolt-action rifle sprites instead of the regular weapons.

CloudFlash
Zandrone

Post by CloudFlash » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:42 pm

someoneelse wrote: There was a wad, single player, with some plot, heavily scripted. I remember some kind of Hell, marine having friends and one dying dramatically (?) and some cone-shaped structure you should climb on ( ??? ), and a boss spamming some.. flame balls? It is very old (well, before Zandronum for sure). I don't remember if it was for Skulltag, Zdoom or one of those other ports, but remembering that besides Legacy I never really appreciated any not-zdoom based port it probably was Zdoom-based one.
You mean void.wad? Because I'm not sure you mean void.wad
Spoiler: vidya (Open)
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
https://i.imgflip.com/i5tpe.jpg
*Hey, who wants to hear my solution to the modern world's problems? ^Me! %Me! @Me! #Me! *WELL TOO BAD @Did he just stab himself with this butcher knife? %Looks like it ^Hey, the pizza guy arrived! %Pizza! Yey

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 pm

One time when i was searching zombies mods in the old wadhost, i downloaded two wads, one was a map, it had night and day, it was a city, since i had a crappy pc in those days it had a lot of 3D floors and i couldn´t see them, the other wad had the decorate i guess
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

someoneelse
Forum Regular

Post by someoneelse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 pm

CloudFlash wrote: You mean void.wad? Because I'm not sure you mean void.wad
That's it, thanks!
Shared keys will now be in Zandro! Thanks devs for their work, and users for the support!
<AlienOverlord> Do you have any friends at all
<AlienOverlord> You play Doom

Gamenerd64
New User

Post by Gamenerd64 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:29 pm

The second wad contained some sort of puzzle and platforming map, before jumpmaze and related wads came about. I remember the first section had you drop down into a bouncepad, probably through a tunnel before bouncing back up to a hallway (although again can't remember that well because my memory is fuzzy). The hallway had doors leading to areas with various challenges, one was a set of platforms in the sky you needed to jump across, another was a series of crushers you needed to get past.
I believe this was called CO2-Room or something, i remember this map very well.
[19:09] Jared: one guy
[19:09] Jared: told me
[19:09] Jared: im a fucking stupid doo doo retard
[19:09] Jared: which is
[19:09] Jared: a quote btw
[19:09] Gamenerd64: rofl

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Gamenerd64 wrote:
The second wad contained some sort of puzzle and platforming map, before jumpmaze and related wads came about. I remember the first section had you drop down into a bouncepad, probably through a tunnel before bouncing back up to a hallway (although again can't remember that well because my memory is fuzzy). The hallway had doors leading to areas with various challenges, one was a set of platforms in the sky you needed to jump across, another was a series of crushers you needed to get past.
I believe this was called CO2-Room or something, i remember this map very well.
Any idea where I can download this? I found this: http://ftp.floorchan.org/wads/co2-rooma.wad but it errors out with: "Script error, "co2-rooma-1.wad:DECORATE" line 365:
'ArachnotronPlasma' inherits from a class with the same name"

edit: well I removed the offending bit of decorate and.. holy shit!!! This is actually the map, I thought I'd never see this again, fantastic find!! Thanks so much! Do you have any information on who made this wad and when, or any other context?
Last edited by Hypnotoad on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamenerd64
New User

Post by Gamenerd64 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:40 am

Made by a guy named CO2 games i think, he made something called RDX invasion with a similar mapping style.
[19:09] Jared: one guy
[19:09] Jared: told me
[19:09] Jared: im a fucking stupid doo doo retard
[19:09] Jared: which is
[19:09] Jared: a quote btw
[19:09] Gamenerd64: rofl

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Yeah i remember him.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Tomthetom

Post by Tomthetom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I Remember a wad I used to play, I Know the first level was some Rock like structures with waterfalls, Im not sure of the name but I think it started with La or something

Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Post by Zeberpal » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Tomthetom wrote: I Remember a wad I used to play, I Know the first level was some Rock like structures with waterfalls, Im not sure of the name but I think it started with La or something
rocketjump Extreme, maybe?
Image ImageImage

Tomthetom

Post by Tomthetom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Zeberpal wrote:
Tomthetom wrote: I Remember a wad I used to play, I Know the first level was some Rock like structures with waterfalls, Im not sure of the name but I think it started with La or something
rocketjump Extreme, maybe?
No, I know its not that. It was mainly a single player wad

CaptainFoxx
New User

Post by CaptainFoxx » Sun May 25, 2014 6:02 pm

The wad I'm looking for is for Doom II, from what i remember is was a re-mastery of all vanilla DOOM II Levels and were made to look more high definition, it wasn't just textures, it was the layout itself, with new areas blended into the old levels. I know for a fact it requires ZDoom, as the mod had features not available in classic. Utilizing features such as fog, sliding sectors, slopes, and water pools that one could dive under.

The server i found this mod under also used the Mercenaries mod, though that was a game play changer from what I could guess.

Features in the few levels I remember are: Level 3 had a network of train tunnels before the classic start of the level, Level 2 had canals that could be dove into for secrets, the level Tricks and Traps had a primarily square main chamber with various small doors around that led to the hazards.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun May 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Pretty sure those are the Super Skulltag maps. They aren't separate from the weapons, apparently.

I still have no idea why you need SST for Mercenaries.

you probably have this already, but still
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Sun May 25, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainFoxx
New User

Post by CaptainFoxx » Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: Pretty sure those are the Super Skulltag maps. They aren't separate from the weapons, apparently.

I still have no idea why you need SST for Mercenaries.

you probably have this already, but still
Odd I do have that one, but whenever I try to load it up it gives me an error message, Minigun weapon not found within SSTMinigun or something like that