Gearbox suing EDuke32 devs

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
enderkevin13
Forum Regular
Clan: Am I my own clan?
Clan Tag: I guess so.

Gearbox suing EDuke32 devs

Post by enderkevin13 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Long story short, Eduke32 developers got a license to release an Android version. The ownership of Duke Nukem 3D went go Gearbox. Of course that doesn't affect the license for the Android version. But Gearbox was not aware of their license, and did not like it. So they decided it's not valid, under the terms that they don't like it.

Another source:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Here's the thread where he posted it in.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Re: Gearbox suing EDuke32 devs

Post by ZZYZX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:41 am

How the..uhm, no swearing allowed, well, what is HTTKC and why is no one explaining it? (google only led me to 4chan thread where same question got asked twice and no answer)
edit upon reading the third page of duke4 thread I found out that it's Duke Nukem Hail To The King Collection (HTTKC)

Who cares anyway? Gearbox is worse than Microsoft. Everyone knows that.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Re: Gearbox suing EDuke32 devs

Post by StrikerMan780 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:37 pm

I know the EDuke32 crew quite well, they're pretty cool guys who have a plenty of professional experience with Duke3D. TerminX was contracted by 3DR to make Hail to the King Collection before Gearbox acquired the Duke3D rights during the Bombshell/DN Mass Destruction lawsuit debacle.

That contract didn't expire or become invalid when the property switched hands. Gearbox is pulling a lot of dirty, crooked shit as of late (Well, when aren't they? But this is serious, mainly contract fraud.), and trying to screw and bully anyone who touches the IP, even if they do so legally.

I suggest anyone who's curious to read all posts by TerminX in the thread, it's pretty revealing just how sickeningly low GBX is willing to go, not just on a business, but personal level.

(Hail to the King Collection was going to be an Android port of EDuke32, with full native ports of Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown and Duke Nukem 64 running under the engine, along with all the previous expansions. It was to have support for Bluetooth and USB controllers, and better touch controls than previous ports, as far as I'm aware.)