Anyone else excited for Doom 4?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Re: Anyone else excited for Doom 4?

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:37 pm

-Jes- wrote:Just another reboot to cash in on past glories.
Huh? This makes no sense for two reasons:
  • The community has been wanting Doom 4 for years now
  • If they wanted to cash in on "past glories" they'd do one that's still actually popular nowadays (And Doom is not. Let's be real here. There's a few thousand fans, probably, which isn't much).

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:47 pm

-Jes- wrote:Just another reboot to cash in on past glories.

It's all the industry can think of anymore...
Well, you really should hope for the best since iD are the ones making it (though MachineGames would've been a better choice, looking at Wolfenstein: TNO and iD having lost the masterminds behind doom).
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Kara Kurt
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Kara Kurt » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Is the monster incarnation going to be in every gamemode or something? Not sure if I'm following right.

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Eh, personally I'm still pessimistic or somewhat jaded until I can play an SP demo and judge for myself.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 pm

I expected Doom 4 to be more like Doom 2's gameplay of being able to go in and destroy everything as I recall they said they wanted to be like the original Doom (however this was long ago so this could be wrong), and quickly found out that was not the case leaving me disappointed for the first play-through online.

When I went into it treating it like Quake 3 gameplay, it was a lot more fun for me.

Hopefully the campaign is fun, the graphics are awesome.

Netherstorm
New User

Post by Netherstorm » Wed May 11, 2016 2:18 am

Yes definitely, the single player looks great. I played the multiplayer beta, and while its not fast-paced and chaotic like Doom/Doom 2's multiplayer, its still quite okay in my opinion. The graphics are very appealing too.

TheDemonNinja
New User

Post by TheDemonNinja » Wed May 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Yup. It's like someone took Doom + Doom 64 + Dead Space + Doom 3 + Evil Dead II + Mortal Kombat + Brutal Doom + Awesomeness = Doom (2016).

:3

I AM SO EXCITED FOR IT! :D

Here's to ripping and tearing! :3

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 am

And it will be released TOMORROW!!! Last summer I've been working on the archaeological excavations (what a coincidence) just to raise money for the computer that will handle DOOM in great quality (and beta comfirmed that the computer can handle it). So now I only hope that even in my country the game will be available tomorrow afternoon so I can write my test on unix operating systems and then go and calm my nerves on this. The only thing I regret about new DOOM is the console version. If it weren't for consoles, it would be even faster and weapon damage would make sense (which I hope some EON :) will take care of shortly after game releases).

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Thu May 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Vavency wrote:Expectation: an actual Linux port. Might be wishful thinking.
Wait 10 years....

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Thu May 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Monsterovich wrote:
Wait 10 years....
Yup, let's face it, Carmack isn't in the company anymore and he's basically one of the few people in industry who actually cared about the Linux. But honestly, until Mantle is properly supported, Linux cannot became a gaming platform.

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 pm

doomista wrote:
Monsterovich wrote:
Wait 10 years....
Linux cannot became a gaming platform.
Actually, It can and possibly would be better than Windows, but then they won't get any $ from linux (you know what is bethesda). The funny fact: people are going to hack doom 4 steam protection to play for free.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Fri May 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Monsterovich wrote:
doomista wrote:
Monsterovich wrote:
Wait 10 years....
Linux cannot became a gaming platform.
Actually, It can and possibly would be better than Windows, but then they won't get any $ from linux (you know what is bethesda). The funny fact: people are going to hack doom 4 steam protection to play for free.
I hope they will. Anyways, after a 5 and a half long installation (you know, 50GB to download from Steam) I have time to only play the first level of the game, but man... I didn't expect that much. This game is totally epic, on the PC it's even more hectic than original games, story somewhat is looking promising. Even though I had to adjust quality down to be able to play it smoothly (I didn't have to do this in beta), it still looks great, plays great and the only thing I regret is that the exams are still in progress....

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Played the beta, was really mundane

capture the point gamemode was wildly unbalanced with the demon runes. Although the whole loadout idea does not bother me much I was hoping more for ala quake live style pick your 2 favorite guns to start with then grab additional ones in the map if the server has the flag enabled to do so. The executions are surprisingly overpowered as I can be dropped from 60 health to 0, but I don't know how to work the executions whatsoever in the multi so maybe I'm just bad. SSG can be reloaded during a melee bash which I do hope gets fixed later on. Only bit that really irritated me were some 'premium' players that got a one-shot-no-matter-what gauss rifle and any match I queued in against those players was an instant loss.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Sat May 14, 2016 10:14 am

Shane wrote:Played the beta, was really mundane

capture the point gamemode was wildly unbalanced with the demon runes. Although the whole loadout idea does not bother me much I was hoping more for ala quake live style pick your 2 favorite guns to start with then grab additional ones in the map if the server has the flag enabled to do so. The executions are surprisingly overpowered as I can be dropped from 60 health to 0, but I don't know how to work the executions whatsoever in the multi so maybe I'm just bad. SSG can be reloaded during a melee bash which I do hope gets fixed later on. Only bit that really irritated me were some 'premium' players that got a one-shot-no-matter-what gauss rifle and any match I queued in against those players was an instant loss.
There are plenty more modes to play and you can always make your own multiplayer mode. I played something more similar to normal doom where weapons could be found and picked in the arena, but you've always had a SSG (which did more damage than in the beta) and the weapons had to be picked manually, probably replacing the SSG. But I agree with the glory kills, they are a bit overpowered (your opponent has to flash in order for you to perform a glory kill). Also I dislike the idea to have demon runes in EVERY mode, but I think it could be moded. When I will have more time, I'll dig into the snapmap, it looks promising so far.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun May 15, 2016 5:44 am

game is good and brutal, maybe wait for the price to drop down tho (12 hour campaign ugh...)

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Sun May 15, 2016 8:18 am

Combinebobnt wrote:game is good and brutal, maybe wait for the price to drop down tho (12 hour campaign ugh...)
You think it's too short for the campaign? Man... it's like 4 CoDs... and unlike CoD, it's has a level editor and a replayability potencial.

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Sun May 15, 2016 8:38 am

Well, I am kind of hoping they'll give us more to do in the campaign eventually, I enjoyed it a lot but felt like it was too short.

EDIT: Anyone messed around with snapmap yet? I'd love to test your maps out I started messing around a bit learned how to do things without accessing the tutorial, I feel more accomplished this way and it's fairly easy to do.

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Mon May 16, 2016 1:07 am

It reminds me of the 3DO version of d_e1m1.
EDIT: hold on, did I just try to reply to the posts in the last page? Whoops.
Last edited by Laggy Blazko on Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Mon May 16, 2016 5:37 am

Laggy Blazko wrote:It reminds me of the 3DO version of d_e1m1.
Speaking of E1M1:
phpBB [media]

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Tue May 17, 2016 9:50 pm

WhiteAce wrote:Well, I am kind of hoping they'll give us more to do in the campaign eventually, I enjoyed it a lot but felt like it was too short.

EDIT: Anyone messed around with snapmap yet? I'd love to test your maps out I started messing around a bit learned how to do things without accessing the tutorial, I feel more accomplished this way and it's fairly easy to do.
Yup, I did. And I am VERY disappointed. SnapMap is a multiplayer based something. You cannot have more than two guns, you cannot have weapon mods unless someone gives it to you with the default loadout and what sucks ultimately is the monster number limitation. Each monster has to be spawned, it doesn't matter whether it spawns with "the start of the map" or later via spawn events. The keyword spawn means a single thing: monsters appear in the map when you are near AND if you killed everything already in your way. It's a pretty retarded stuff which probably has something to do with the AI and consoles. It means you should use progressive random enemy generator or encounter or spawn events to be sure there's no more like... ten monsters at a time. And if you don't... we'll then you'll end up just like me.
I made a map, a hardcore one. It was tiny and there were plenty of monsters, but some of them spawned too late or at weird intervals. I added ten Imps and now the map cannot be finished because the monster that unlocks the doors won't spawn. I have no clue which monsters are prioritized, I can only guess it's the weak ones.
Also... I don't know where are the hell assets (if they're even here). I don't know if there are dead bodies as decorations. There aren't even outdoor assets! What is the reason of having a vintage doom1 looking keycard when there aren't any assets that can fit with it? Why there is only half of the runes? Why the weapons cannot be picked up automatically (all right, because they would replace equipped ones)?

To be fair... you can do a neato stuff with SnapMap. It's easy to learn (but execution times aren't the best) and it isn't that much overwhelming like trackmania because it has a quite good tutorial. And even though I can overlook not-much-assets problem (they maybe could be bought for snappoints after all), I cannot overlook the monster placement limitations. Because it makes my work 10 times harder than it's necessary!

TL;DR: snapmap sucks...

EDIT: I got it confirmed, the snapmap unlocks features (and maybe raises monster limit) with more and more snappoints. That is totally fucked up... snappoints are for puchasing useless stuff. Officially the snapmap isn't supposed to handle big rooms or outdoors, probably it's not meant to include bosses and it's publishing system is completely broken.