What is the best for DM between those 2 mods? (samsara)

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Manhs

What is the best for DM between those 2 mods? (samsara)

Post by Manhs » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Hello, i have hosted Doom Samsara in deathmath at the Japan Expo Sud (south) in France, it was really liked:
https://youtu.be/k6aMfGj2oiM

But i wanted know, what is the best to host, "Samsara v0.3" or "v0.31 with extraheroes"?

The second one have more class but seem unbalanced, some class are really fast and powerful in the same time for DM......specially Caleb (all the weapons +alt), Lo Wang (Rocket launcher range) and Ipfreeley (and maybe some others)? Playing with Corvus or Duke is harder, i think..... People used Caleb for a lot lol...

Is it better if i host DM with only v0.3 ? Well it's a festival, people are there to enjoy the fun, for the balance, it's too bad.

So what is better between the v0.3 and the v.0.31+extraheroes for DM for you ?

Also, will there be any update for the mod or for extraheroes ?

I like to play with caleb or lo wang but they are bit too strong for dm i think xD
For solo/survivor (coop), it seems ok :)

Samsara is really an awesome mod, i hope we will play it more on the servers ^^
Last edited by Manhs on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Medicris
Forum Regular

RE: What is the best for DM between those 2 mods? (samsara)

Post by Medicris » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:03 am

Samsara is not being updated anymore, and 0.31b is the last "official" release, though it doesn't need extraheroes to run. The extra heroes' developers did admit that they're not made for deathmatch, while the core Samsara classes have altered weapons in Deathmatch mode to balance them out.

0.31b has Duke Nukem's shoot n' boot and some other features/bugfixes, so I like plain 0.31b for DM.

It's just up to your preference, since it sounds like a big event and balance might not be the biggest deal.

Manhs

Post by Manhs » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:32 pm

0,31b...yes, to host on a BE server, i could just use 0,31b.
But for a big event, using a lot of class could be nice for the fun even if there isnt a lot of balance ^^', people used Caleb a lot....

Do you know how can i contact the maker of extraheroes, is he in this forum? I would want ask him for a patch but i suppose now, it's old and he doesnt work on it anymore, him too....

anyway, thank you for the informations! I will continue to host with extraheroes but i need to put class like lo wang and others to counter caleb lol.
I have finished Jenesis wad with Lo Wang, Requiem wad with Parias and Plutonia revisted with Corvus, full of fun... :)

EDIT: I noticed a lot of others files on doomseeker for samsara...
samsara_ex-ha1 and smaddonsfix...gotta check it... I would want more class in the festival but if everyone use Caleb/Lo Wang only because they are powerful, not so fun then.... :s

EDIT: I have used those file:
samsara-v0.31-beta
samsara_ex-ha1
smaddonsfix24
samsara_dm_patchv1

For once, i was able to win a dm without to lose against black stone while i used Corvus, it seems we start with more...ammo ? Not sure....usually, i can't win easily if there is black stone and if i use corvus or maybe i had some luck....

Do you know those files, guys?
Last edited by Manhs on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dynamo
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Dynamo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:08 pm

The addons project is not really optimized or even meant for DM, no. If you want to play deathmatch, your best bet is playing with the original samsara characters only. Development on the official samsara ceased some time ago, while development on the extraheroes project continues, albeit slowly.

Manhs

Post by Manhs » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:09 am

Yeah,
people told me in a coop server samsara, nax (not sure it's the good name), will make a patch for deathmatch for extraheroes!
So need to wait this patch, but yeah, for now, better to use v0.31b. :)

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Addons is hella fun in coop but in DM it's super unbalanced. Caleb, Grondoval, IP, and especially Corridor 7 guy (with his high damage, rapid fire, accurate hitscans) dominate.
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

Manhs

Post by Manhs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:38 am

I noticed it's near unplayable, with Lo Wang, just get more ammo for the rocket launcher, you will get the homing missiles who 1shot kill and who are very very fast....impossible to dodge it...
Well, better to use the normal v0.31b..... :(