Do you accept donations?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Neo
Forum Regular

Do you accept donations?

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:03 am

[]I know that may be a stupid question to ask but would that help with anything? I recently got a job again and have some extra money I feel I could help out with.
Last edited by Neo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

RE: Do you accept donations?

Post by mifu » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:14 am

This posts makes me feel that you are not serious.

The website itself does not take donations as there is a bit of legal issues seeing as we are not meant to be making profits as the software is open source.

I was going to explore all of that stuff but honestly I am no lawyer. Can anyone else advise if its possible if we can take donations to at-least keep services up?

Neo
Forum Regular

Post by Neo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:22 am

mifu wrote: This posts makes me feel that you are not serious.

The website itself does not take donations as there is a bit of legal issues seeing as we are not meant to be making profits as the software is open source.

I was going to explore all of that stuff but honestly I am no lawyer. Can anyone else advise if its possible if we can take donations to at-least keep services up?
I'm serious sorry *updates post*. If you are using it to help with services there's no problem there. Think of like a non-profit buissness they use donations to keep things running.
Last edited by Neo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:40 pm

mifu wrote: I was going to explore all of that stuff but honestly I am no lawyer. Can anyone else advise if its possible if we can take donations to at-least keep services up?
Yes, you can - as long as you are not forcing or putting a price tag on the Zandronum engine or the parent and child forks, also including pwads. In addition, if it seems like the service requires users to pay to use the services, users will quickly abandon for another alternative. This has been done before on one of the many doom sites, though I don't remember its name.

Presently typing on my tablet, excuse horrible wording as I have spent 20 minutes redoing words thanks to auto-correct ....

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Did you consult that with a lawyer? Last time this subject was shrugged off as nobody really knew anything for sure.
Some interpretations of the non-commercial license consider getting money in any way associated with the program illegal.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3349 ... ftware-use
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/435764-fre ... donations/

Also this is not just "some doom site", we're talking about the domain for the actual software in question.
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Konar6 wrote: Also this is not just "some doom site", we're talking about the domain for the actual software in question.
Are you suggesting on putting a price tag on the software? Then obviously that is not possible, unless you get an agreement with Zenimax, ZDoom, GZDoom (or just Graf Zahl), and FMOD.
Last edited by Tiger on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm

"Do you accept donations?"
Yes I do :p
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:51 pm

I was hoping for a serious conversation about this topic, but:
ibm5155 wrote: "Do you accept donations?"
Yes I do :p
I am just not going to bother wasting my time.

mifu

Post by mifu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:07 am

I guess what he means is based on what Konar6 has mentioned we would essentially mean we are... putting a price on the software. I dont think we can accept any money in any kind of form. Donations or not.

Neo
Forum Regular

Post by Neo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:10 am

mifu wrote: I guess what he means is based on what Konar6 has mentioned we would essentially mean we are... putting a price on the software. I dont think we can accept any money in any kind of form. Donations or not.
A simple act of kindness I thought could help well I'm here if that ever changes.

mifu

Post by mifu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:19 am

Neo wrote:
mifu wrote: I guess what he means is based on what Konar6 has mentioned we would essentially mean we are... putting a price on the software. I dont think we can accept any money in any kind of form. Donations or not.
A simple act of kindness I thought could help well I'm here if that ever changes.
If you want to help out with money around here you could try donating to TSPG as they host gaming servers everyone can make on it.

Neo
Forum Regular

Post by Neo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:20 am

mifu wrote:
Neo wrote:
If you want to help out with money around here you could try donating to TSPG as they host gaming servers everyone can make on it.
Yea tbh I was just thinking of that. I haven't been on in a bit but I saw a post by you awhile back. Are those nodes you said we're going down actually go down?. Like Brit steel and I can't remember the other one.

mifu

Post by mifu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:27 am

They did indeed Neo. Its hard to keep 4 clusters up by yourself haha.

Britsteel however, I see an archvile near the box..

Neo
Forum Regular

Post by Neo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:49 am

mifu wrote: They did indeed Neo. Its hard to keep 4 clusters up by yourself haha.

Hey tbh I like this game straight up I may start helping out regularly if I could. This port should be as alive as it can. If stuff is getting shut off who knows what's next. So let let me get this figured out. I'm gonna pm marceak and see if I can donate to keep servers up.

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:54 am

Neo wrote:
mifu wrote: They did indeed Neo. Its hard to keep 4 clusters up by yourself haha.

Hey tbh I like this game straight up I may start helping out regularly if I could. This port should be as alive as it can. If stuff is getting shut off who knows what's next. So let let me get this figured out. I'm gonna pm marceak and see if I can donate to keep servers up.
Or maybe just PM MiFU... Seeing as you're just talking to him and he owns the servers...

And this thread may help you
Last edited by Sean on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova