Credit to the mods, admins etc.

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Credit to the mods, admins etc.

Post by NachtIntellect » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:54 pm

I have to give credit to some people who mod on forums, I just recently became one on the SCP-CB Forums, and I really know now how much it infuriates you when people delibaretly double post, or lets their mouth run too far.

SCP-CB Link: [DATA EXPUNGED]
Last edited by NachtIntellect on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you just bite me? Come here, I will bite you back bastard.

Watermelon
Zandrone

RE: Credit to the mods, admins etc.

Post by Watermelon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 am

Whats SCP?

infurnus
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 am

Watermelon wrote: Whats SCP?
Going to assume it's [redacted].

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 am

infurnus wrote:
Watermelon wrote: Whats SCP?
Going to assume it's [redacted].
Yeah but I forgot to mention that it's containment breach, here is the link to the forums for SCP-CB [DATA EXPUNGED]

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 am

Yeah, it can be an enormous pain in the ass with people being dumb sometimes, but in the end you feel like you're helping everyone, and that makes it all worth it. :D

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:08 am

The Toxic Avenger wrote: Yeah, it can be an enormous pain in the ass with people being dumb sometimes, but in the end you feel like you're helping everyone, and that makes it all worth it. :D
Yup, I'm actually still figuring out the tools to be honest, I made a few test threads so I could test out splitting and etc.

Captain Izayoi

Post by Captain Izayoi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 am

It's always easier to moderate smaller establishments.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:52 am

Captain Izayoi wrote: It's always easier to moderate smaller establishments.
Actually I don't believe this is the case.
In smaller establishments there are usually LESS admins and that puts MORE responsibility on your shoulders. And everything you do becomes more personal.
When there are a lot of admins sharing the duties it spreads the blame if a problem happens, and makes the admins seem more distant, which allows you to do your job easier since every little thing you do doesn't get scrutinized extremely.

I was an admin on a forum that had about 50-100 members online at any one time and on average 100+ posts a day, but there were only three moderators, and one trainee. It was hell in a handbasket.
(P.S. It was a gameserver forum and post count in the Bans section was not counted because it had its own set of mods.)
Last edited by Llewellyn on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zap610
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Zap610 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:41 am

It gets tricky to stay on top of everything but when users report posts it REALLY helps. It's very easy to do and goes a long way.

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:00 am

Zap610 wrote: It gets tricky to stay on top of everything but when users report posts it REALLY helps. It's very easy to do and goes a long way.
Yeah and it also gets tricky when you can't tell when a person is joking or not, makes it harder for a Mod (Admin or etc.) to decide on what to do with that comment

Anyway let me give you a fine example of something I looked at earlier today:
There was this poll for moderators on the forums I am mod for, 2 people had basicly cheated their way up on the poll by using different accounts (I wish the poll was actually IP Locked)

1. the guy who was found cheating (By me ofcourse) by making 15 other accounts and voting himself on the poll, also abused himself telling himself to go die on a guest account causing a lot of drama for everyone else while also double posting.

2.This other guy pretended that his brother had made an account, funny thing is his "Brother" had made 5 other accounts and voted on the poll, also I heard he's been spamming people pms to vote for him.

Alright given the situation which do you think is worse?
I only gave the first one a warning (after I became mod ofcourse), I left the second one Up to the Admin.
Last edited by NachtIntellect on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 am

WhiteAce wrote: Alright given the situation which do you think is worse?
I only gave the first one a warning (after I became mod ofcourse), I left the second one Up to the Admin.
Cheating I can understand, lieing about cheating is something altogether different. It's basically the same thing as trying to ban-evade.

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 am

Llewellyn wrote:
WhiteAce wrote: Alright given the situation which do you think is worse?
Cheating I can understand, lieing about cheating is something altogether different. It's basically the same thing as trying to ban-evade.
That's the reason I left it up to the admin, if it were up to me I'd suspend his account for a week, but that's tied to my anger and rage of people cheating in the past.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Actually it's quite the opposite. With smaller establishments, it's less about politics and more about connections; this can be very hard when the people that generally get out of line are in close relations with the staff - exceptions are made.

You never get this with big establishments. Everything is treated like a business and the rules apply to everyone.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Tor-Bjorn wrote:
Actually it's quite the opposite. With smaller establishments, it's less about politics and more about connections; this can be very hard when the people that generally get out of line are in close relations with the staff - exceptions are made.
Exactly. That happened a lot in Skulltag. I don't even remember how many times abusive users got away with flaming and trolling just cuz they were buddies with a moderator/admin who let them off the hook. I'm not gonna name names, but most of them aren't around anymore anyways so it doesn't really matter.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community