Tablet or Netbook?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Tablet or Netbook?

Post by Spottswoode » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 am

For a while now I've been looking at getting a smaller device for internet on the go. I've looked into some netbooks, tablets, and smartphones and I have definitely decided not to get a smartphone. I've been thinking about getting something in the $200 to $300 range with some minor gaming capability. (Arbitrarily, good enough to play Source games let's say....) I'm not really interested in getting an android or apple device because I want a full OS to use my own programs with. So for this reason, I'd need a tablet that can run Steam.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

RE: Tablet or Netbook?

Post by Llewellyn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 am

Spottswoode wrote: For a while now I've been looking at getting a smaller device for internet on the go. I've looked into some netbooks, tablets, and smartphones and I have definitely decided not to get a smartphone. I've been thinking about getting something in the $200 to $300 range with some minor gaming capability. (Arbitrarily, good enough to play Source games let's say....) I'm not really interested in getting an android or apple device because I want a full OS to use my own programs with. So for this reason, I'd need a tablet that can run Steam.
If you're going to do any typing, don't get a tablet.
It's a pain in the arse.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:33 am

Tablets can't MAME it.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 am

netbook because keyboard

also unless netbooks and tablets have gotten much more powerful since I last checked, neither are gonna be running tf2 (how is the source engine 'minor')

KalFoxis
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by KalFoxis » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:10 am

Dell Inspiron @ne for 230$.. ver small netbook lightweight, easy to pick up and go. 1 ghz intel atom 2 gigs ram, intel series chip
irc.millbrochat.net #MBC

Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Post by Spottswoode » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: netbook because keyboard

also unless netbooks and tablets have gotten much more powerful since I last checked, neither are gonna be running tf2 (how is the source engine 'minor')
I was thinking more HL2 era source. Good run specs are much less than tf2.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/240/
Not that outlandish for bare minimum specs but no way you could run tf2 worth a crap. Plus you can play fallout 3 on a tablet.

I'm not talking one of those friggin android or ios tablets. Gotta have at least windows or linux on it. :biggrin:
Last edited by Spottswoode on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

BloodyAcid
Forum Regular

Post by BloodyAcid » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:15 pm

DO NOT get a tablet. Period.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Last edited by Catastrophe on Fri May 11, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flaminglacier

Post by Flaminglacier » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 pm

If your gonna get a tablet get a blackberry playbook. It's by far the most advanced tablet hardware wise. Dual core processor, 1 gb of ram, 5 mega pixel camera, video recording and playback up to 1080p,gps,java, and up to 10 hour battery life.

I personal love the playbook. It can run hd games and I have experienced no lag. What i love most about this tablet is the multitask function. You can play music with facebook open, while browsing the internet and playing a game. If the keyboard is bothering you, you can buy a bluetooth keyboard.

Emulator wise, theres a Sega genesis, snes, nes, playstation,atari, and n64 available for download. Not to mention a huge hacking community behind blackberry (crackberry).

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 am

Flaminglacier wrote: Emulator wise, theres a Sega genesis, snes, nes, playstation,atari, and n64 available for download.
Can it MAME? Can it joystick? If no MAME, no joystick, no worth.

Still, I must admit there is some awesomesauce in this tablet, but joystick is still hard to find, unless there's a tweak to accept generic joystick USB on Android, where lies some awesomeness.

Keyboard isn't an issue for tablets, just plug an USB one and go for it.

EDIT: BUUUUUUT, if you want to use some office programs, forget it, the apps are too basic to have some use.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.