DooM 2016 stuff

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
TheDemonNinja
New User

Re: DooM 2016 stuff

Post by TheDemonNinja » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:05 am

CallCenterHero wrote:It's not that violent video games make me sad... it's more to do with violent, intrusive thoughts that I experience--uncontrollably. Fortunately, I've been treated for a lot of the worst issues of my depression, so I'm MUCH better than I used to be.

Still, I struggle with that stuff occasionally. The reason I don't want to play DooM 2016 is the same reason I don't watch gory horror movies: it's too much like what goes on in my head.

I mean, if I squint hard enough at the Doom sprites, they're pretty detailed. But it's still much different and less realistic than any violent game today--let alone DooM 2016. It's just not the same.
Hmm, I see. I get violent thoughts as well sometimes, but I manage to suppress it pretty well. However, that's because I can control myself whenever I get violent thoughts... probably because violent video games eases me a bit.

As for Classic Doom being much different and less realistic than Doom 2016, I'd have to argue with that. It was and still is realistic in my opinion. If you really examine the sprites for gibbing and the death animations, you can see they are pretty brutal and for the time they sparked outrage.

I watch Evil Dead 2.... but then again that's comedy-horror and not really like horror-horror. I can't really watch gory horror movies either except Evil Dead 2. That's really about it. =P

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:49 am

TheDemonNinja wrote:
CallCenterHero wrote:It's not that violent video games make me sad... it's more to do with violent, intrusive thoughts that I experience--uncontrollably. Fortunately, I've been treated for a lot of the worst issues of my depression, so I'm MUCH better than I used to be.

Still, I struggle with that stuff occasionally. The reason I don't want to play DooM 2016 is the same reason I don't watch gory horror movies: it's too much like what goes on in my head.

I mean, if I squint hard enough at the Doom sprites, they're pretty detailed. But it's still much different and less realistic than any violent game today--let alone DooM 2016. It's just not the same.
Hmm, I see. I get violent thoughts as well sometimes, but I manage to suppress it pretty well. However, that's because I can control myself whenever I get violent thoughts... probably because violent video games eases me a bit.

As for Classic Doom being much different and less realistic than Doom 2016, I'd have to argue with that. It was and still is realistic in my opinion. If you really examine the sprites for gibbing and the death animations, you can see they are pretty brutal and for the time they sparked outrage.

I watch Evil Dead 2.... but then again that's comedy-horror and not really like horror-horror. I can't really watch gory horror movies either except Evil Dead 2. That's really about it. =P
I can see his point... for a singleplayer campaign. But imho it's a different story for the whole multiplayer part, I've participated in both closed and open beta and I can say DM with a brutal doom would feel much more drastic. Btw Evil Dead 2? Highfive! Did you see the new tv series? It was awesome!

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:06 pm

Looks like Doom Builder found a nice rival.

phpBB [media]

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Not really a rival. Doom builder is an actual map tool for old Doom. Snapmap is closer to a more advanced Forge for new Doom. Way different things with different goals.

Also:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2016- ... ers-ahead/

Check page 3 for a link to a new trailer. Some employee must've posted it on Youtube too early, because it got taken down about an hour after it got up. Someone saved it, though.

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:35 am

Nice stuff. Here's the link by the way.
https://vid.me/RTTy

Looks like it has some text that was supposed to be removed or something. Really nice trailer nonetheless.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 am

Fused wrote:Nice stuff. Here's the link by the way.
https://vid.me/RTTy

Looks like it has some text that was supposed to be removed or something. Really nice trailer nonetheless.
Übercool stuff! That trailer got me hyped to the level of a total doom arousal! :D

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:52 am

Almost hour of DOOM singleplayer campaign with commentary
I watched only for a few minutes as it is totally awesome and I don't want to have everything spoiled, but if you don't mind this stuff, go ahead and hype yourself!

[spoiler]
phpBB [media]
[/spoiler]

Shadowlink223

Post by Shadowlink223 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:54 am

I can't wait for May 13th so I can finally give this game a try.
Spoiler: Also I had fun with the open beta (Open)
phpBB [media]

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:51 am

I had fun not playing the open beta because even the menu lagged like fuck.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

doomista
Forum Regular

Post by doomista » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 am

Shadowlink223 wrote:I can't wait for May 13th so I can finally give this game a try.
Spoiler: Also I had fun with the open beta (Open)
phpBB [media]
Wow, you rocked! I haven't seen someone this competent when I played. For me, I wasn't bad, but I never got used to RL (I played chaingun+shotgun or plasma+shotgun, always with combat grenade) and I never got used to glory kills, so my frags weren't that much flawless :)

TheDemonNinja
New User

Post by TheDemonNinja » Mon May 02, 2016 2:05 am

doomista wrote:
TheDemonNinja wrote:

I can see his point... for a singleplayer campaign. But imho it's a different story for the whole multiplayer part, I've participated in both closed and open beta and I can say DM with a brutal doom would feel much more drastic. Btw Evil Dead 2? Highfive! Did you see the new tv series? It was awesome!

I haven't seen the new TV series yet. I heard a lot of good things about it though.

The singleplayer campaign looks amazing! The gore is just OH so juicy! It's like Classic Doom and Doom 64 mixed together with Metroid Prime and Quake and it's just so awesome I can't even....

=D