Elmo arrested in New York

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Elmo arrested in New York

Post by Spottswoode » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 pm

CNN story
This isn't exactly new, but I laughed really hard when I saw this. I have always wanted to do this. Now we need to get a street brawl between Cookie Monster and Mickey Mouse.
Last edited by Spottswoode on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Torvald
Forum Regular

RE: Elmo arrested in New York

Post by Torvald » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm sorry but Jeanne moos's voice drove me nuts through the entire video. Such a burly voice for a woman. In regards to Elmo himself, I didn't really find that funny; just another excuse to cross the line with free speech and what not. Maybe it was the lack of action for me because I'm usually more entertained by crazy antics from people such as Remi or LamothExperience.

Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Post by Spottswoode » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:10 am

It's not really about free speech or obscenity to me as much as it is iconoclasm. The CNN piece just makes me laugh at how serious they take it. To me it's just a guy acting like a retard; they choose to spin it as some kind of sacrilege. I just find it amusing how much people hold up their icons.

Youtube videos for the reel haters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Z7gZza ... ature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBe62Z3Htko&feature=plcp
Last edited by Spottswoode on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Sodaholic486
New User

Post by Sodaholic486 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:17 am

I actually kinda think what that Elmo was doing was slightly funny. I like seeing the "lines" of free speech being pushed. So it's a guy cursing and yelling racist shit, who cares? I don't agree with the racism at all, but I find it funny that little kids are being exposed to all the hate and cursing. I dunno, I guess I just have a really morbid sense of humor.

In the end, as horrible as what he was doing (and the fact that he likely has mental illness to be doing this for so long), I see no reason to punish it. I think it qualifies as free speech, he wasn't threatening anyone, nor was he calling out false danger (like yelling "fire" in a movie theater), he was just being an obnoxious dick. If the parents don't want their kids to see it, too bad, they're in public, their kids are able to be exposed to anything out there.

EDIT: In retrospect, this is a dumb post. The guy was a continuous public nuisance and had to be removed.
Last edited by Sodaholic486 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Sodaholic486 wrote: In the end, as horrible as what he was doing (and the fact that he likely has mental illness to be doing this for so long), I see no reason to punish it. I think it qualifies as free speech, he wasn't threatening anyone, nor was he calling out false danger (like yelling "fire" in a movie theater), he was just being an obnoxious dick.
You are right to an extent, but even free speech has its limitations. Most notably the law of hate crime/ speech. In a small way, it's like the second amendment to own a gun: Just because you're allowed to own one doesn't give you the right to kill someone with it.

So in essence, loudly broadcasting racist remarks can fall under the act of hate speech, thus permitting law to use reasonable force.

It's not like the internet where you can get away with stuff like this on a routine basis. The real world is still very judgmental.
Last edited by Torvald on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 am

Quite honestly, I hate Jeanne Moos reporting. All she does is sensationalist trivial garbage that being used for fillers. *Honestly, my network(CTV2) has been using her reports to fill up time* The report, per se... it's still garage just to make people aware that we have a Mel Gibson Elmo.
Last edited by Reach Term on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Tor-Bjorn wrote: I'm sorry but Jeanne moos's voice drove me nuts through the entire video. Such a burly voice for a woman. In regards to Elmo himself, I didn't really find that funny; just another excuse to cross the line with free speech and what not. Maybe it was the lack of action for me because I'm usually more entertained by crazy antics from people such as Remi or LamothExperience.
Stop saying burly voice, you say it too much :evil:

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:51 pm

quote me on this forum where I said it twice? Hmm, didn't think so bitch. :wink:
Last edited by Torvald on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnTrustable
Forum Regular

Post by UnTrustable » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:00 am

Spottswoode wrote: CNN story
This isn't exactly new, but I laughed really hard when I saw this. I have always wanted to do this. Now we need to get a street brawl between Cookie Monster and Mickey Mouse.
I can sprite both of them and let them fight each other??
Will that satify you alittle there? :smile: