XWE

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Flaminglacier

XWE

Post by Flaminglacier » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 pm

I was just wondering if anyone used XWE anymore. I actually use it for editing all my wads. It seems like everyone's into using Slumped but I never completely figured it out.

Minigunner

RE: XWE

Post by Minigunner » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Uhh, most of us are actually using Slade 3.
The latest beta (as of this post) is here.
Last edited by Minigunner on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theshooter7 wrote:Also, to all those people who stack players for exploits: I hate you. Do I really need to seal off every inch of every map to prevent you from getting to places you shouldn't?

Flaminglacier

Post by Flaminglacier » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Well then I am way far behind on my Dooming xD guess I'll look into this one.
Last edited by Flaminglacier on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tosen

Post by Tosen » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:38 pm

I was a die hard XWE fan for a year, since it was the first wad editor I ever used, but Slade 3 can do all the stuff XWE can and cant do.

Flaminglacier

Post by Flaminglacier » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:43 pm

XWE just seems way simpler to use for me... It's one step from being an easy drag and drop doom editor.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Actually I use XWE to play with sprite colors and sometimes edit them.. otherwise its just winrar and notepad

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:16 am

i used XWE but i don't use it anymore because one time i was working in a project and as you guys know, you cannot select when you want save your project and by a error a deleted over 50% of it and i never have used it again
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:53 am

I use Wintex sometimes. =P
Last edited by Laggy Blazko on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:32 am

haha wintex

SLADE is far superior to XWE, which has the habit of occasionally corrupting WADs.

UnTrustable
Forum Regular

Post by UnTrustable » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 am

Don't shame yourself for using XWE.
I am also still using XWE. (on an older Operating System)
So user friendly. Im not saying the program is strong these days, but again, so user friendly.
SlumpEd is a much more powerfull tool than XWE, but there will be no more updates for SlumpEd, so SlumpEd got slowly replaced by Slade.

XWE only corrupted my wads when i got the same wad open in DoomBuilder.
Lets say, im busy making a map in DoomBuilder, gets thirsty, walk to the kitchen, making some drink, getting back to my PC, forgot what i was doing but
remembered something that has to be done in decorate, open-up XWE, load in the wad, made the changes, save... BAMMM... corrupt...
Still smiling, cause i have a backup file... looking sad, because i made so much changes, i have to re-do again....
Other than that, XWE never corrupted any wad of mine.
Last edited by UnTrustable on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:29 pm

I only really use XWE for the cleaning function if there is any wasted space.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 pm

XWE is probably like having a temperamental GF. One wrong action and it all goes to hell. I've lost a few wads with that program. Slade3 is the way to go :)

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by mr fiat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:35 pm

used to be a XWE die hard and to be fair I still use it more then slade3, i think the best thing to do is use em both C: as in using slade's advanced features for complicated mods and use XWE's simplicity for quick changes or things that might get unpractical in slade.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 pm

XWE is crap, it eats your files. I've lost lots of work because of XWE... it killed a huge wad of mine. I've never had that problem with slade. It's too dangerous to use.

Why it directly edits the files and doesnt create a temp copy is *beyond me*
Last edited by Watermelon on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm

XWE is the most complete wad editor I have seen. It even edits a map a la wad author style. It has everything you need in one program.

Too bad it is dangerously buggy. It's source code is released, I tried to compile in lazarus but no luck... I could use Delphi but it is not cross platform.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 pm

In comparison to Slade 3, XWE is terrible. I've switched. I used to use XWE though... but, after ripping out too many bloody clumps of hair after it corrupting my WADs, I just gave up on using it. I only use it for opening Duke3D GRP and Dark Forces GOB files now. I don't understand why it didn't just have a save option, vs. modifying the files as the edits are made... I've ruined my IWADs accidentally that way before, when I just wanted to extract a sprite or texture.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALIENwolve

Post by ALIENwolve » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Uh, there's a reason that XWE has an option to backup your files as you work on them.

Losing your files shouldn't even be a problem for you. It should be the fact that its features are limited.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 pm

ALIENwolve wrote: Uh, there's a reason that XWE has an option to backup your files as you work on them.

Losing your files shouldn't even be a problem for you. It should be the fact that its features are limited.
Tbh I find it strange when people say it ruined their file while I always complained it made 30 backups of my files whenever I did a single change to a single entry.. also XWE wins when you want to mess up with files from duke or blood

The Blue Panther

Post by The Blue Panther » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:43 am

Cruduxy wrote:I always complained it made 30 backups of my files whenever I did a single change to a single entry..
Me too, all of the backup files combined were a lot bigger than the wad itself, there was an option to just make one single backup though

I used XWE even when Slade was out, I felt slade "Didn't do what XWE did", for example in XWE I could just move a bunch of files into the editor, but for slade I had to create a new entry for each, so I moved back for a while, now I'm using Slade... Guess I had to wait until it was updated

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by mr fiat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Watermelon wrote: XWE is crap, it eats your files. I've lost lots of work because of XWE... it killed a huge wad of mine. I've never had that problem with slade. It's too dangerous to use.

Why it directly edits the files and doesnt create a temp copy is *beyond me*
XWE always makes backups I always have "the keep only one backup at the time" checked to make sure it doesnt make a million backups, i once had a file corrupted but thankfully there was the backup file that xwe keeps making everythime you close xwe so only little progress was lost (when you say you lost allot of files its only your own fault)

seriously I hate it when people whine about xwe when the users are at blame for corruption of files.