Weapons as related to Video Games (and what you hate about them)

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
CloudFlash
Zandrone

RE: Weapons as related to Video Games (and what you hate about them)

Post by CloudFlash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 am

Personally I think pistols should serve as mini sniper rifles, just to force you to use them even after first 5 levels... And don't even try to say pistol does oh so much damage in doom to make it op as sniper rifle, because it's false...
https://i.imgflip.com/i5tpe.jpg
*Hey, who wants to hear my solution to the modern world's problems? ^Me! %Me! @Me! #Me! *WELL TOO BAD @Did he just stab himself with this butcher knife? %Looks like it ^Hey, the pizza guy arrived! %Pizza! Yey

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Spottswoode wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjhx_K3_wco

That's not reloading. That's cocking the shotgun. When the magazine is empty you have to reload it. In case you guys forget how guns work. :) Both hands go down to reload the shotguns. So unless the other hand is doing something else, we can just assume that both hands are involved in the reloading process.

Also the Doom weapon mechanics are screwy, they have also not been the focus of this thread.

Edit: I also agree with the consensus that pistols should not be tiny sniper rifles. Heavy damage should be left to heavy weapons. I just don't like it when devs make it only useful on the first level because it immediately becomes outclassed in every area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDIz8WCG5zM

Look at where the Rangers go. Note that there's always a little bit at the bottom of the screen? He still holds onto them, dude. Also how the hell could he reload two double barreled shotguns that quickly anyway.

Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Post by Spottswoode » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Break actions can be done that way provided you have holsters. Just not that quick. You'd also have to be wearing two bandoliers and have practiced doing it enough to make it second nature. (Also, haven't we basically clarified that COD is the worst offender in all categories of weapon realism?)
SO you got me...but

[quote=me]Reloading guns one handed is almost never done in video games. [/quote]
it's still only one game. You may also find a few more (more so from the 64/playstation era) that have that behavior in them.

Edit: I also admit I had forgotten about akimbo rangers. Never used the gun.
Last edited by Spottswoode on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.