Next Gen Consoles (and why I'm not going to buy them for several years)

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Next Gen Consoles (and why I'm not going to buy them for several years)

Post by Spottswoode » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 am

Aside from the Wii U, (which I am currently neutral about) most of the next generation consoles are still on the drawing board. It's been rumored that some designs for the next generation consoles included strict anti-piracy measures. Some went as far to include a magnetic scanner that authorized the download of games. If the next generation of consoles are going to focus strongly on anti-piracy, that means that the price of games is going to remain higher for longer. It also means that essentially, consoles have become computers with less features. I'd rather buy a new graphics card.

If consoles are going to heavily regulate commercial use, I'll stick to pc games. At least I can mod my heavily over priced games without getting banned.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Ruin
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Next Gen Consoles (and why I'm not going to buy them for several years)

Post by Ruin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 am

I have to agree with this. I personally didn't find the Wii U too impressive, not to mention that I can't help but think of the movie "Kung Pow" whenever I hear the name uttered.
"Secondly, <PRO> is utter shit, and they're only "known" because almost all of them are also staff." - /vr/

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:26 am

I am going to stay with my PC and upgrade it when necessary.

Vordenko

Post by Vordenko » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:18 am

Ditto, Although I prefer reviews for the new consoles, if the reviews are crappy or w/e, I might just save up my money to upgrade my pc, or even get a new one, I also wouldn't like wasting my money on a console with overpriced titles that can get boring in just 3 days, however, let's see what happens.
Spottswoode wrote:I'll stick to pc games. At least I can mod my heavily over priced games without getting banned.
That's actually the reason why im sticking to my pc and why Im not so much a console gamer, but Dang, I hate when good titles go console only.
Last edited by Vordenko on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
InGame: <*>Sky<-=DriveR=-
Captain Ventris wrote: I shorten it to Zan. This means that if I ever for some reason host a ported Zan Zan, I can call it a Zan Zan Zan server.

legion

Post by legion » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:37 am

consoles are laughable. I barely played them in the past and when there came a time when I wanted to actually play it for real, it bricked.

fuck that, I'll stick with PC

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:42 am

I play xbox from time to time if the pc's being used but other than that, PC on top!
[WII-U is a pretty bad console and should have never been released into the public, I have yet to see any of my friends, or children in general own one, but then again I don't want to]

Deathisnear24

Post by Deathisnear24 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:25 am

PC all the way! I didn't really watch ANY of the footage from E3 this year, the only trailer I watched was the one for Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. The only games I do not like playing on the PC are most racing games. The only way you can really play a racing game on the PC is with a controller or wheel, but first off you need to find a GOOD racing game for the PC. I love playing Forza 4 on the Xbox but that is really the only reason I use the consoles. I was raised around computers, being born in the mid 90's, the first video game I can remember sneaking on and playing was DOOM :P.
Last edited by Deathisnear24 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metal

Post by Metal » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:47 pm

I haven't bought a console since the PS2. I was thinking about a NDS or possibly a Wii...But I find the consoles now are over priced, as well as the games for it. I'll stick with my SNES, NES, PS2, PS1 and n64.

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Oh good, even more reasons to stick with PC gaming.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:50 pm

I share my opinion with the (current) majority. PCs are multi-purpose and they play a big role in video gaming. There is no need for consoles unless there is a fair amount of games you really want to play, that don't support PCs. Also, consoles are too expensive. There are strong PCs that cost as much as the PS3.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

Klofkac
Forum Regular

Post by Klofkac » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:34 pm

About consoles, I think their main thing why they are favourite are its controls (for example Wii) that normally PC games don't have. Otherwise, I agree. They are surely overprices and overprotected.
𝕂𝕝𝕠𝕗𝕜𝕒𝕔

Newb The shrubbery
New User

Post by Newb The shrubbery » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 am

Good thing I never really got into console gaming. By far the only thing I touched recently as of console was Demon's Souls on PS3, and that's it, the few others I already beaten and don't intend to play them again.

VoltlocK

Post by VoltlocK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 am

Here in Aussieland, a lot of latest gen console games are retailed at or over $100, PC games, even if it was the same game, retails at $90 or under. (Which I don't buy anyway - eBay ftw)

I suppose that's another plus for PCs when vs consoles. :3

It Is annoying that there are quite a few games on consoles I'd love to play, but I don't want to spend $400+ just to fucking do that.

Avi

Post by Avi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 am

I own a 360 that I never really played. (Seriously, I can count the times by hand) Only bought it to play games with some IRL friends and when I had XBL I could never get a hold of them. Yet if I were to host a classic DM server and get some MSN friends onboard I could have my server filled by the hour.

Seriously regret shitting my money away with a console. Don't think I'll have to worry about wasting my money next round.

Sgt Dopey

Post by Sgt Dopey » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:46 am

I only have a console so I can play newer games that my current PC can't handle

Xaser

Post by Xaser » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:17 am

PC for sure, mostly because console controls kick my ass. I tried playing a FPS-type something (Rainbow Six Vegas 2 I think) with a friend yesterday and did a brilliant job at shooting the floor sweeping the place clean with bullets.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:27 am

Yeah, I don't get how dual control sticks is a good control scheme for an FPS at all. Unless you are a god with your hands (in which case you might be able to serve some people's fetishes), I simply cannot see moving, turning, and shooting/using a switch/ANYTHING at the same working. Really, the mouse and keyboard is a much better interface when it comes to FPS'.

Also note that Halo does have autoaim akin to Doom. There is a reason for this.

Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Post by Spottswoode » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: Yeah, I don't get how dual control sticks is a good control scheme for an FPS at all. Unless you are a god with your hands (in which case you might be able to serve some people's fetishes), I simply cannot see moving, turning, and shooting/using a switch/ANYTHING at the same working. Really, the mouse and keyboard is a much better interface when it comes to FPS'.
I mostly use dual analog for precision shooting when it comes to fps. I can make better hairline movements with the analog stick then I can with my mouse. I can snipe with my mouse, I just do it better with analog sticks. Any other type of gun I tend to do better with mouse and keyboard.
I also prefer to use dual analog for rpgs when I play them. I press the wrong button way too many times with keyboards.

I just want to clarify, I'm talking about not buying the consoles that are coming out over the next few years. (The WII U is slated for this year.)
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

scalliano

Post by scalliano » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:11 am

If anti-piracy (read "preowned") measures get any more stringent, I'll probably bail out of the console market altogether. What kills me about the methods employed at the moment is that they don't work, and ultimately fuck over the paying customers.

If companies actually wanted to stop piracy, the new systems would return to the old proprietary cartridge format. Nowadays flash cards can handle vast amounts of data, and a proprietary format would be much more difficult to copy.

Problem is, piracy isn't their main concern. The only thing they want to crush is the used games market. I don't have the official figures, but I'd say it's a safe bet that more people buy used games than pirate them. Not only that, it's entirely legal. Why slap down £50 on a new game when you can wait a few months and get it for less than half of that?

Avi

Post by Avi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 am

scalliano wrote: Problem is, piracy isn't their main concern. The only thing they want to crush is the used games market. I don't have the official figures, but I'd say it's a safe bet that more people buy used games than pirate them. Not only that, it's entirely legal. Why slap down £50 on a new game when you can wait a few months and get it for less than half of that?
This. I can honestly say everything I've owned for a console after the PS2 years has been used. Used 360, used games, --in fact the only new thing on a console I own is the wireless adapter I got in my 360 to play on wifi. I can definitely see this being a "problem" for console developers assuming they can build a new way to make a bigger buck.

Little do they know, buying some of the games I have (i.e. Borderlands) has me excited to actually buy the sequel the day it comes out, which I never would have done trying to get the game at its full price since I wasn't gonna throw money at something I don't often use.