A fullblown guide to Private CTF and how to get access to private servers

Old stuff gets archived here.
werewindle

RE: A fullblown guide to Private CTF and how to get access to private servers

Post by werewindle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:13 am

Watermelon wrote: Would you claim then, that you are better than every IDL player who goes to the middle position, regardless of your experience?
dewww^2
sorry, but that is an utterly naive attempt to bait me into discriminating statements. i never claimed anything with sweeping, universal applicability, unlike yourself. why should i declare myself the master of the universe just because you realized i wasn't just blowing hot air? also i'm european, so any comparison to IDL player is skewed by principle.

just take my advice as a bit of general insight into playing mid, there's no need to call me out like that. i'll just end up with another admin warning for being rude to regulars. :(

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:47 am

How people play mid is entirely opinionated, you can't simply choose one strategy and immediately determine that this one strategy is the way to win all games. Players are different, just like how you can't approach every single duel with the same techniques, you gotta switch up and play a different way to shake your enemies down, if you stay generic you stay dead.

Iced
Forum Regular

Post by Iced » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:10 am

I can also be contacted for a password to the GV Priv server.

If I had to add anything, it would be this: don't act like you're under 18 years old, even if you are. There's nothing most people hate more than immaturity, so try to mask it up if you have it. Also, Stipsi

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:45 am

Watermelon wrote:You know the IDL players are masters of the middle position right? They know everything you said and probably more about the position. The only thing is, the players are so good that to someone inexperienced it may seem like that.

Again if they truly have this problem, you should be able to beat every IDL team then.
ahah Don't generalize IDL players like that. I can name a big chunk of players that made roster spots who are generally sub-par mid players. The rest of us aren't masters necessarily. It takes instinct, attention and brain power to play mid properly. Wanna see some good mid? Watch demos of Hatred, Sabertooth, LordBritish and Ralphis (except when he supermans).
- Never pull a Tai and leave your position unless you're D and the flag is out; unless you're Tai because you're in R and have played for many years and know what you're doing
Sadly he still doesn't realize that when he's running into the other team's base after a score, an opposing runner sneaks by and grabs the flag and skips back across for a rebound score. An example of this is today's match-up of KGB vs SGS.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:45 am

werewindle wrote:
Watermelon wrote: Would you claim then, that you are better than every IDL player who goes to the middle position, regardless of your experience?
dewww^2
sorry, but that is an utterly naive attempt to bait me into discriminating statements.
Call it whatever you want, question still stands. What if I reword it to 'most' IDL players instead of all of them?
i never claimed anything with sweeping, universal applicability, unlike yourself. why should i declare myself the master of the universe just because you realized i wasn't just blowing hot air?
Can you quote me on my sweeping and universal applicable statement I made? Maybe the confusion for the second part came from the way you worded it, but you meant something in a different context. I'd say when I go over what you said previously, it's pretty solid advice that will probably help others, including myself.
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Watermelon wrote:You know the IDL players are masters of the middle position right? They know everything you said and probably more about the position. The only thing is, the players are so good that to someone inexperienced it may seem like that.

Again if they truly have this problem, you should be able to beat every IDL team then.
ahah Don't generalize IDL players like that. I can name a big chunk of players that made roster spots who are generally sub-par mid players. The rest of us aren't masters necessarily. It takes instinct, attention and brain power to play mid properly. Wanna see some good mid? Watch demos of Hatred, Sabertooth, LordBritish and Ralphis (except when he supermans).
Where can I find demos? What seasons would be best? If you have any pointers (links or such) that'd be really awesome -- as others could use them in this thread for reference.

Would you say that among most players, middle is the weakest spot on average?
Last edited by Watermelon on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:12 am

I don't think there is any season that can be considered the best. There have been a lot of great games from season 1 to now. A lot can be learned from every demo (how not to play for example). Due to technical problems and due to players not uploading demos, the demo system is not entirely complete. The very early seasons mainly suffer due to data being lost in the void sometime in the past. Demos are on the IDL site: http://www.intldoomleague.org/season/demos

There is no such thing as a 'weakest position'. Some players can play a position better than 90% of other doomers. Examples of tough defenders: Nostar, ItalianStallion, Hatred, HumanBones and Tai when he doesn't run. Can some of these guys play o and mid? Yes. Will they let someone else defend? Probably not. I can make the same kind of examples for o and mid as well. What I meant in my previous post is that out of 32 players, about 1/3 do not make great mid players. An even larger number applies toward defenders. We are not masters of anything. Everyone brings something different to the table with different types of advantages and disadvantages. You do not have to be a master at anything to win games. A team that works together and knows what they are doing will win a game. A superstar doing everything will not.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 am

Oh great, maybe I'll give this tired old scene a shot. If it'll be fun is anyone's guess, such a hostile environment from what I've seen.

Been looking for something to tide me over as my leg heals anyway.

Nati46
Forum Regular

Post by Nati46 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Watermelon wrote:

[*]Your mouse doesn't need to do 360 degrees, ideally if you can swing between 180/220 degrees comfortably, that's all you need (or your accuracy may suffer unless your name is Junior), most defenceman have a 'mouse_sensitivity' of 0.7 or less (type it in your console to check)
This is debatable. I personally have a mouse sensitivity of 2.25, but this is because I duel alot and need to do alot of sharp turning. I personally don't find a sensitivity below 1-1.5 to be sufficient for good movement, even in CTF.
Better give everything a try and choose what suits yourself the best!
Want to know how to run faster? Check this out!

Zandronum Duel Championships

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 pm

You should add in the following protip:

"Don't pull a Mr-Cheater/Reach Term by creating an alias to only to mess with everyone for entertainment value, You're probably not as funny as he is; then again, Mr-Cheater isn't that funny half of the time."
Last edited by Reach Term on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L1T

Post by L1T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 pm

define "gaming router" pelase.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Nati46 wrote:
Watermelon wrote:

[*]Your mouse doesn't need to do 360 degrees, ideally if you can swing between 180/220 degrees comfortably, that's all you need (or your accuracy may suffer unless your name is Junior), most defenceman have a 'mouse_sensitivity' of 0.7 or less (type it in your console to check)
This is debatable. I personally have a mouse sensitivity of 2.25, but this is because I duel alot and need to do alot of sharp turning. I personally don't find a sensitivity below 1-1.5 to be sufficient for good movement, even in CTF.
Better give everything a try and choose what suits yourself the best!
Having said that it depends on your DPI and polling rate, though I prefer it slightly higher as well.