Brutal Doom author encourages suicide, discuss

Old stuff gets archived here.
TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

RE: Brutal Doom author encourages suicide, discuss

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Ogre wrote: I'm happy this has gotten out, for now Brutal Doom's reputation is falling, and the New World Order of toys' agenda to bring about the first galactic impact has been crippled.
...the hell I just read.
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

Ogre

Post by Ogre » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:58 pm

TheMightyHeracross wrote:
Ogre wrote: I'm happy this has gotten out, for now Brutal Doom's reputation is falling, and the New World Order of toys' agenda to bring about the first galactic impact has been crippled.
...the hell I just read.

Study the truth about Brutal Doom and Mark_IV and you shall see what I mean. The rabbit hole goes far deeper than you think.

infurnus
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:11 am

Marcaek wrote: What action is necessary?

Let people react how they want to his bullshit. If it continues, eventually the problem will take care of itself.
This is pretty much what my reaction to this was.
infurnus wrote: If he wants to post those things, that's what he so chooses, and in doing so he also opens himself up to the reactions and critique of others.
And I'll post this again since it got lost in all the posts:
infurnus wrote:
Cruduxy wrote: P.S. reading the zdoom topic a bit deeper I'll quote sgtmark "Yeah, I learned something: People in this forum have an awfully limited and sugar coated sense of humor."
Spoiler: YouTube video - Getting Called Out: How to Apologize (Open)
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

I'd also like to re-post this set of points I've used before:
  • people have a right to have opinions, and to be offended by whatever irks them, just like how people have a right to feel any other emotion
  • being offended does not make you special; it does not give you special powers, it does not allow you to be protected from second hand insults and inflamed sensitivities
  • no one has the right to not be offended; people can't claim they have a right to not be offended when freedom of speech is prevalent
  • nobody will ever be granted special rights simply because they are offended
  • people shouldn't purposely try to offend others
  • no one should make a mountain out of a molehill, etc
I think I may ammend the last 2 bullet points for whenever I need to repost this list in general..
  • knowing those things, people shouldn't purposely try to offend others
  • make sure that the issue is real and not perceived; no one should make a mountain out of a molehill, etc
It is clear that some of these apply more than others to this issue.

Anywho, I think people wanting to post here should take a break, possibly even play some FNF (it's Friday after all!), and then come back to it later after things have settled down. I mean, what else is there to do?
Ogre wrote:
TheMightyHeracross wrote:
...the hell I just read.

Study the truth about Brutal Doom and Mark_IV and you shall see what I mean. The rabbit hole goes far deeper than you think.
OK these non-sequitur posts like the one WarTool wrote have me scratching my head. Would you guys mind making a whole other thread or something for that? This thread is busy enough already...

ArcheKruz

Post by ArcheKruz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:12 am

Doomguy 2000 That's an idea, but you can go one step further, send them an email. I will tweet them tomorrow, and if I have time, write a letter explaining the situation.
Last edited by ArcheKruz on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ogre

Post by Ogre » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:12 am

OK these non-sequitur posts like the one WarTool wrote have me scratching my head. Would you guys mind making a whole other thread or something for that? This thread is busy enough already...
You're right, the deeper truth needs it's own thread, it will make it more visible anyway.
Last edited by Ogre on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 am

guys don't bother contacting id what are you doing?

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:41 am

Cooking some fresh CONSEQUENCES, by the looks of it.
It smells delicious.
[quote="Kennon Conrad"]Dear LawCounsels,
To prove your compressor works, I suggest you try it on your posts and then post only the result.

We all know an ideal lossy compressor would output 0 bytes for your posts, so see if you can beat that.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

infurnus

Post by infurnus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:46 am

Please, no "backtracing" or "internet detective" work.

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 am

The hell is id supposed to do?
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

Popsoap

Post by Popsoap » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:14 am

TheMightyHeracross wrote: The hell is id supposed to do?
Not sure, but it would inform id Software to clarify that they do not encourage suicide in any way, shape, or form. Someone out there will inevitably link the promotion of suicide to the game and possibly the company which made it.
Last edited by Popsoap on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:27 am

Popsoap wrote:
TheMightyHeracross wrote: The hell is id supposed to do?
Not sure, but it would help clarify that id Software does not encourage suicide in any way, shape, or form. Someone out there will inevitably link the promotion of suicide to the game and possibly the company which made it.
Just like they tried to link Doom to the actions of two angry high-schoolers?
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Sergeant_Mark_IV

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:26 am

There's no way that I am going to read 5 pages of random stuff. So, I will be quick:

I am still a bit concerned about consequences that this whole thing can bring to me. If I get banned from the Doom community, Brutal Doom can survive on it's own (not even I could stop it if I wanted), but my other projects can't. I need technical knowledge that the Brutal Doom fanbase can't provide, and I depend on the community for this. So, I decided to apologize.

I am sorry.
Racist, homophobic, misogynist, suicidal, religious, and other kind of dark humor jokes are very common among my social groups, there are blacks, gays, Christians, former suicidal guys, and women on these groups that can take these jokes without getting offended because they have been close to me time enough to know when I am joking and when I am not, and I should not expect the same with internet people who have never meet me personally. It was really stupid of my part thinking that anyone else here should be open minded and take these jokes without getting mad at me. I should have known this since the beginning. I have been lurking imageboards for too many years and maybe I forgot that not everyone in the internet is obliged to swallow my actions. I realize that not everyone is ready to know my true self, and there are things that I should keep to myself. I do this all the time on my job, and next to the some not-so-close family members, and it won't be hard to do the same here if I start trying.

This is my last "big stunt". I promise. Now, can we all get along?

Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 am

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:[...]It was really stupid of my part thinking that anyone else here should be open minded and take these jokes without getting mad at me. I should have known this since the beginning. I have been lurking imageboards for too many years and maybe I forgot that not everyone in the internet is obliged to swallow my actions.[...]

I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a backhanded apology.
Last edited by Grymmoire on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sergeant_Mark_IV

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:45 am

I already told the reasons why I do the jokes, and promised to don't do it anymore. You are free to interpret this apology how you want.

esselfortium

Post by esselfortium » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:45 am

Grymmoire is correct.

This is just another rehash of the usual not-really-an-apology "I'm sorry that you guys are pussies who can't take a joke" that Mark has done every other time someone has called him out on acting like a dick. Of all the times he's made an ass of himself, he's never really taken responsibility for any of his actions, only continually shifted the blame to everyone else.
Last edited by esselfortium on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

infurnus

Post by infurnus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 am

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote: You are free to interpret this apology how you want.
I don't know how anyone could ever make an apology that is "up to interpretation" and expect to be taken seriously.

SyKoTiC
Forum Regular

Post by SyKoTiC » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:51 am

This is extremely silly and you should be ashamed of yourself and what you done.
Being part of this DooM/Port madness since 2006
It's No Use!

Sergeant_Mark_IV

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:56 am

infurnus wrote:
I don't know how anyone could ever make an apology that is "up to interpretation" and expect to be taken seriously.
Decay wrote: So, in a nutshell, a summary.

"I am apologizing to save face, please don't ban me. I do not rescind my beliefs, nor apologize for them. I need the community for my mods other than Brutal Doom, and Brutal Doom doesn't matter because it's popular enough I don't need to do anything more. Stop bugging me about my beliefs because you guys just don't know me, and never will."

Pure politics, this was the most insincere apology I've ever read. You are not sorry, at this point you are just hoping not to be banned because you cannot do everything yourself, and you rely on others (that you still spit on anyway). Nobody should take this "apology" to heart.

I repeat: I explained why I do the jokes. I learned why I shouldn't make them anymore. These are my apologies. What else should I do?

esselfortium

Post by esselfortium » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:58 am

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:
infurnus wrote:
Decay wrote: So, in a nutshell, a summary.

"I am apologizing to save face, please don't ban me. I do not rescind my beliefs, nor apologize for them. I need the community for my mods other than Brutal Doom, and Brutal Doom doesn't matter because it's popular enough I don't need to do anything more. Stop bugging me about my beliefs because you guys just don't know me, and never will."

Pure politics, this was the most insincere apology I've ever read. You are not sorry, at this point you are just hoping not to be banned because you cannot do everything yourself, and you rely on others (that you still spit on anyway). Nobody should take this "apology" to heart.

I repeat: I explained why I do the jokes. I learned why I shouldn't make them anymore. These are my apologies. What else should I do?
Not looking down on the rest of the community with visible disdain would probably be a healthy start

XCOPY

Post by XCOPY » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:00 am

You people asked him to apologize, he did it. He recognize that his dark humour was used in a wrong context and shouldn't be used with people who doesn't know him. Binary is alive and well. So what?
----===|SOUTH AMERICA RULES|===----