Moderator Warnings [split from MM8BDM Challenge Thread]

Old stuff gets archived here.
DTDsphere
Forum Regular

RE: I challenge everyone to MM8BDM

Post by DTDsphere » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 am

Decay wrote: We don't need warnings shoved in our face all the time.
This.

It gets annoying.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 am

Decay wrote: We don't need warnings shoved in our face all the time.
In most circumstances yes, but the warnings are simply a result of an inadequate level of maturity in threads like these.
Last edited by Torvald on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Ruin
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Moderator Warnings [split from MM8BDM Challenge Thread]

Post by Ruin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:50 am

Last edited by Ruin on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Secondly, <PRO> is utter shit, and they're only "known" because almost all of them are also staff." - /vr/

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:09 am

Yeah I got warned for this not too long ago, somehow.

To be honest, I fail to see how that merits a full-on warning (which contributes towards an auto-suspension or auto-ban, if your warning level goes high enough, as I've found).

Splitting my post because it was "pointless" or "not necessary" is fine. I have no problem with that. But it seems like the moderation nowadays pretty much guarantees a warning for every split post, regardless of its content. IMO, that gives the person who reports the post wayyy too much power.

The act of giving a warning should be as objective as humanly possible. Receiving a warning for flaming, distributing wares, or intentionally starting a shitty thread seems justifiable. Receiving one just because some butthurt basement-dweller decided to report your snarky-but-mostly-neutral post just seems excessive.
(this warrants a warning) wrote:jesus christ, get this shit out of here. this just goes to show that furfags and bronies can create nothing good or original and don't belong in this community at all
(this does not) wrote:why did you make this in the first place? youtube poop isn't funny.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Ruin

Post by Ruin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 am

For the record, I'm not sure who warned you Aenima. My posts were pretty much the end of my involvement in that thread. With that being said, I'd rather not have people go back and warn people in a situation that was already handled. Kinda irks me a bit.
Last edited by Ruin on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Secondly, <PRO> is utter shit, and they're only "known" because almost all of them are also staff." - /vr/

HeavenWraith

Post by HeavenWraith » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 am

I guess I'm the most guilty here, so I'll address this. So far I gathered the problem is those +10% warnings for overly off-topic posts. A fair complaint, as I can see there are quite a lot of people who would like to have a bit more freedom in the forums. However, on the other hand, there are people who are dissatisfied when there are off-topic interruptions in their discussion (then we get reported posts). So it's hard to tell what is the right way of moderation at this point.

If this thread gathers enough support, I'm willing to change my ways, since I'm fine with either scenario, just adapting to the local moderation standards.
[18:55] <Decay> if you're upset, it is your obligation to make someone else upset

BURZUM
Forum Regular
Clan: DOOMDADDIES
Clan Tag: [DD]

Post by BURZUM » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 am

Decay wrote:
Warnings are not needed in threads like these; wait and see where they go. There is no point in continually telling us "don't state your opinion or get warned" or "no pointless posts or get warned," it's all in the rules anyway.

Nobody likes to have that shoved in their face. Those kind of "don't post or we will warn you" post can absolutely fuck off. The community doesn't need it's administration power-tripping all over the place. We damn well know when we post something warn-able, we see it coming. Unless we compare minecraft to lego, then it's a little unpredictable. You don't need to continually tell us what we already know.
Totally agreed. That's why I am getting more and more inactive in this forum ....

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah I rather have posts split than people getting warnings. Because it blurs the line from hate messages and ambivalent messages. Also if it off-topic, then there should be no warning given. How should people know if their comment would end up off-topic from the OP or mods stand point.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Yeah, splitting off-topic posts is all that's needed. A warning should only be considered if something more serious took place.

ZandroSkins

Qent

Post by Qent » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Huh. It looks like Decay's talking about verbal in-thread warnings and everyone else is talking about formal warnings, so I'll talk about TTA's post. The community in general needs more optimism. Posting that some thread will attract trolls or erupt into a flamewar already puts a negative spin on it, and risks becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

HeavenWraith

Post by HeavenWraith » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Qent wrote: Huh. It looks like Decay's talking about verbal in-thread warnings and everyone else is talking about formal warnings, so I'll talk about TTA's post. The community in general needs more optimism. Posting that some thread will attract trolls or erupt into a flamewar already puts a negative spin on it, and risks becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Oh snap, and I've jumped on the bandwagon of those who misinterpreted. All I can say is that even if it is annoying, it does in some cases prevent bad things from happening. If a moderator feels it's absolutely necessary to remind people of the rules (minority have actually read them before their first split/warning (obviously)), then why not. It's not like it's going to hurt anyone.
[18:55] <Decay> if you're upset, it is your obligation to make someone else upset

Metal

Post by Metal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Decay wrote: Warnings are not needed in threads like these; wait and see where they go. There is no point in continually telling us "don't state your opinion or get warned" or "no pointless posts or get warned," it's all in the rules anyway.

Nobody likes to have that shoved in their face. Those kind of "don't post or we will warn you" post can absolutely fuck off. The community doesn't need it's administration power-tripping all over the place. We damn well know when we post something warn-able, we see it coming. Unless we compare minecraft to lego, then it's a little unpredictable. You don't need to continually tell us what we already know.
Too bad not many people even look at the rules. Mods are here to enforce that, and we'd like to prevent problems before they happen. There's also new people who come in and don't see the rules or don't see the "Please don't do that".

I hope this is a thread about public warnings as well, because private warnings should be brought to PM, since they're privately issued.
Those kind of "don't post or we will warn you" post can absolutely fuck off.
You really need to word things better. Your whole "The whole world can fuck off" attitude isn't really getting you far and all it's saying to me is "I'm pissed off, and they're going to hear about it!". Really, give your opinions in a less aggressive manner and maybe we'll listen.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Ænima wrote:Yeah I got warned for this not too long ago, somehow.

To be honest, I fail to see how that merits a full-on warning (which contributes towards an auto-suspension or auto-ban, if your warning level goes high enough, as I've found).

Splitting my post because it was "pointless" or "not necessary" is fine. I have no problem with that.

[...]

The act of giving a warning should be as objective as humanly possible. Receiving a warning for flaming, distributing wares, or intentionally starting a shitty thread seems justifiable. Receiving one just because some butthurt basement-dweller decided to report your snarky-but-mostly-neutral post just seems excessive.
I agree with you Aenima but...
HeavenWraith wrote:[...] on the other hand, there are people who are dissatisfied when there are off-topic interruptions in their discussion. So it's hard to tell what is the right way of moderation at this point.
... this is the problem.
Is true that moderators could be more tolerant, but if they are tolerant with people whom don't understand what is the line they shouldn't cross it's easy to end up with a topic derailered by someone who posted without the intention of flaming or derailing.
It's like a dog chasing its tail, a vicious circle (the snowball effect?): you (the moderator) could be more tolerant but this would increase the chances of unpleasant situations, otherwise you could be less tolerant but ending up giving a warning even to people who doesn't really deserve it.

All in all I don't know what really.
On my own: I don't find annoying to read "beware to flame". I think I'm mature enough to understand when I should refrain from posting; because if I find a post or a topic silly, or IDon'tKnowWhat I just don't reply to that thread.
I don't feel it's necessary to tell anyone that youtube poop is silly, but I understand that you, Aenima, may wish to open a -civil- discussion on that matter. I would have been more straight than you were with that post but... I'm only writing what I'm thinking, and honestly I don't know what to think, I understand how unpleasant may be for you to find a warning when you just tried to be friendly, but I've to support the decision of HeavenWraith, because if it's true that we're all equal, likewise we are when we're in fault. If there is the needance of giving a warn for post like yours is because...
Tor-Bjorn wrote:[...]warnings are simply a result of an inadequate level of maturity[...]
... the problem seems to be the maturity level of the community and, if it is, the solution is to lower the tolerance threshold. If the moderators do this, they must do it for everyone, because we're all equal.
With this I said everything I wanted to say, and quote everything I wanted to quote.

Over and out.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:25 pm

TBH topics that would cause mass bad reactions to them -and the authors KNOW it they can pretend but they know its an insult magnet- should have their authors warned themselves and the topic is locked with a "this should be a lesson to future topics".
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Qent

Post by Qent » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:32 pm

That is incorrect. Trolling is one thing. Posting your project (or match in this case) that no one likes is completely different and okay, provided you're prepared to take some harsh criticism for it.
Last edited by Qent on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Cruduxy wrote: TBH topics that would cause mass bad reactions to them -and the authors KNOW it they can pretend but they know its an insult magnet- should have their authors warned themselves and the topic is locked with a "this should be a lesson to future topics".
Qent wrote: That is incorrect. Trolling is one thing. Posting your project that no one likes is completely different and okay, provided you're prepared to take some harsh criticism for it.
Judging by Cruduxy's wording, I think he meant "threads started with the intention of having a shitfest take place". You know, where the OP pretends to be innocent.

Anybody remember when DoomMarine aka Huy Pham used to post on the Skulltag forums? Yeah. Kinda like that.

ZandroSkins

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Qent wrote: That is incorrect. Trolling is one thing. Posting your project (or match in this case) that no one likes is completely different and okay, provided you're prepared to take some harsh criticism for it.
This annoys me because it's sort of a contraction. If someone made a bad thread that wasn't a project and no one likes it, shouldn't that person take that very harsh criticism?

Before anyone states: That's trolling.

Welcome to the world of the grey area of trolling. Because at this point how can anyone see the lines between people who are being harsh and people who are being subtle.
Last edited by Reach Term on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:38 pm

I ended up getting a 30% warning for posting in a thread "This will give Swiftshot an aneurysm" which is pretty over-the-top. Other than that warning which I think should be appealed (can I actually appeal it?), the other warnings I got we're just and fair.

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Spoiler: A little off topic remark: (Open)
During my full-time venture from June to December on here... I've yet to get a warning or ban.* I did however got maybe %5 - 10 of my overall posts were split from various threads. I don't know about you but that's actually saying a lot for a guy like me.

* = Igor ban back in November was actually a worked ban and wasn't legit in any way.

Note 2: I did get banned on main irc channel twice but it was only minor and very short term.
Last edited by Reach Term on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal

Post by Metal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Decay wrote: Well Watermelon you see, different punishments for different people is the definition of ST/zanzan administration!

I'll address some of the other points in a little bit.
Probably because we're not all hive-minded, and we don't all warn for the exact same reasons, but generally we follow the same guidebook (I.E. Forum rules). Also, we're human, we make mistakes, and I personally don't think we're doing as bad as we were during the Skulltag era. I find we're much more relaxed now and less strict. I don't really see what there is to complain or make a big fuss over.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner