New possible rule for captains in CTF

Old stuff gets archived here.

Punishment for refusing randcaps picking you as a captain should be:

Total votes: 0

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: New possible rule for captains in CTF

Post by Ivan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Yellowtail wrote: That's the problem. Even if the new players (to priv, at the very least) make captain, the "elitists" could intimidate them until they don't even want to play in private anymore.
Which is almost always the case around here sadly. So instead of making rules for this, I think we should all try to be overall nicer.
Last edited by Ivan on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Yellowtail wrote: That's the problem. Even if the new players (to priv, at the very least) make captain, the "elitists" could intimidate them until they don't even want to play in private anymore.
We don't do that. Anyone caught being an asshole usually gets warned to cool it or they're out. NJ funcrusher may allow shit-talking, but on Spak City it's not allowed. Grandvoid is the same way.

If the person sucks so much that they are unable to keep up, they shouldn't have the pass in the first place.

Strych6
Forum Regular

Post by Strych6 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:22 am

Well it's true Priv players are furthest from patient, so new players are often discouraged as well as their will for captain role playing. The mob mentality lays quietly on a hair trigger

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Ivan wrote:
Were you the black kid skipping gym classes and failing it?

EDIT: Your idea is worse than mine because if all new players had to leave the server just because they don't want to cap then it will just prevent the growth of the competitive scene which I'm 100% sure NOBODY wants, right? That's what you guys are crying for, making help threads for. Doesn't add up.
Ignoring the insult; if they have no interest in priv anyways the scene isn't growing right? I didn't say "if you don't want to cap you must not play" I meant "if you don't want to cap then why play" because capping guarentees you a playing spot
Also priv isn't required to play like gym so idk where that bit came from

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Slyfox wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Were you the black kid skipping gym classes and failing it?

EDIT: Your idea is worse than mine because if all new players had to leave the server just because they don't want to cap then it will just prevent the growth of the competitive scene which I'm 100% sure NOBODY wants, right? That's what you guys are crying for, making help threads for. Doesn't add up.
Ignoring the insult; if they have no interest in priv anyways the scene isn't growing right? I didn't say "if you don't want to cap you must not play" I meant "if you don't want to cap then why play" because capping guarentees you a playing spot
Also priv isn't required to play like gym so idk where that bit came from
Having no interest in participating != Having to interest in being a cap. Someone might just want to play the game instead of being a cap, those things aren't the same. People probably just want to play but are afraid to join due to the amount of insults or even a ban they might get, so scene doesn't grow and you are stuck with mostly pubs. Also as to "why wouldn't someone want to cap" I think some people posted why, read those.

Forget about the requirement. They are both essentially the same thing. Forming teams, choosing captains. Look at it this way, forcing too many things on people makes priv look less attractive. There are enough rules in priv as is, no need to add more, really.
Watermelon wrote: We don't do that. Anyone caught being an asshole usually gets warned to cool it or they're out. NJ funcrusher may allow shit-talking, but on Spak City it's not allowed.
Instead there's Spak shit talking players :)
Last edited by Ivan on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 am

Ivan wrote: Instead there's Spak shit talking players :)
Fortunately no such Spak players exist

legion
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by legion » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:56 am

being captain is part of the game of private ctf. learning to play captain is part of the game of private ctf. someone has to do it. suck it up and just captain and things will go so much easier

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Hey how come people who don't even play priv are voting on this thread?

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

Metal

Post by Metal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. They know how priv works, but they don't play and they probably have reasons not to play (Such as ridicule or no-pick when they play). That kind of post sort of adds to the problem of priv people excluding others, doesn't it?

IMO, Forfeiting the round that you reject to cap in would be enough. I absolutely hate capping, but do it anyway.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular

Post by Hammerfest- » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Metal wrote: Everyone is entitled to an opinion. They know how priv works, but they don't play and they probably have reasons not to play (Such as ridicule or no-pick when they play).
I got shitted on, made fun of, and a whole lot more in priv back when I used to play. That's how priv works, that's how you get picked, and that's how you go up in the priv ladder. You play, you make mistakes, you get your shit for your mistakes and you pick up the pace. Stop smothering a community of softies and let them play. If I could do it then so can a lot of other people. They don't (and shouldn't) have a voice because they don't play, and should have no say in affairs that they really don't need to stick their nose in.
Metal wrote:That kind of post sort of adds to the problem of priv people excluding others, doesn't it?

No. You aren't excluded from priv, that's a huge misconception. You are only excluded by default and when you get better or join a clan then you play. This concept isn't really difficult at all. Private is private for a reason, and if you don't like it then play public or some other server, and if you're lucky enough you'll catch someone's eye and get pushed into priv. Seriously, there's no universal rule to priv. Each server is hosted by different people in their community with their own standards in priv, why make it universal?
Metal wrote:IMO, Forfeiting the round that you reject to cap in would be enough. I absolutely hate capping, but do it anyway.
Or you get kicked or banned for violating priv rules. Everyone knows you pretty much have to capt when the randcaps pick you, and if you don't like it then don't play priv. I never liked to cap either, but I still had to do it as well.
Last edited by Hammerfest- on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal

Post by Metal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Have you ever thought that...
I got shitted on, made fun of, and a whole lot more in priv back when I used to play. That's how priv works, that's how you get picked, and that's how you go up in the priv ladder. You play, you make mistakes, you get your shit for your mistakes and you pick up the pace. Stop smothering a community of softies and let them play. If I could do it then so can a lot of other people. They don't (and shouldn't) have a voice because they don't play, and should have no say in affairs that they really don't need to stick their nose in.
Is probably what drives people away from priv? That kind of attitude? It's what drove me away, I barely priv anymore and I never get shit on when I play. And I never did when I started playing priv (On ZD). You're making the "Shit talk" sound universal, when it shouldn't be. Picking on people and shitting on them when they make mistakes doesn't make them better, it turns them into elitists. You can be nice to people, show them how to play and have a nice enviroment for priv instead of the trash can it's become.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular

Post by Hammerfest- » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Metal wrote: Have you ever thought that...
Is probably what drives people away from priv? That kind of attitude? It's what drove me away, I barely priv anymore and I never get shit on when I play. And I never did when I started playing priv (On ZD). You're making the "Shit talk" sound universal, when it shouldn't be. Picking on people and shitting on them when they make mistakes doesn't make them better, it turns them into elitists. You can be nice to people, show them how to play and have a nice enviroment for priv instead of the trash can it's become.
I'm pretty sure it hasn't driven TTA away, who I assume still plays priv and from what I've heard/seen he's getting better and better. It hasn't scared that Dranzer dude away who is going through the same phase TTA had went through. It is universal, it happens in NJ, it happens in the Spak servers, so what's with this babying? Out of all the shit that people have gotten it only fueled them to that "Hey, prove me wrong." motivation. Also, to point out, the priv scene has actually grown since 2010.
Last edited by Hammerfest- on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yellowtail
Forum Regular

Post by Yellowtail » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 am

The problem isn't exactly the fact that the person makes mistakes. It could be your "reputation" as well.

I mean, I was in a private game a while back, and once I was randomcap'd, people just started laughing. Even if I was playing bad, they weren't laughing at my skill, they were laughing at me as a whole.

Would you still want to play something that has people laugh at you, not because you suck, or have people baby you because you play terribly?

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:35 am

Hammerfest- wrote: Image
Don't be an elitist faggot.

Just because I'm not the best competitive player and/or I don't play as often as you do doesn't make my opinion not matter.

If it really really bothers you that much, why don't you just pretend our votes aren't there?

btw even if our votes weren't there, that particular option would still be in the lead ...
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:41 am

Imagine some guy who plays cod all day giving his input on the next doom.

Do you see why some peoples opinions just don't count?
Last edited by Catastrophe on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:57 am

Catastrophe wrote: Imagine some guy who plays cod all day giving his input on the next doom.

Do you see why some peoples opinions just don't count?
yeah except i don't play COD all day. i haven't played a COD game since Black Ops 1. But that's besides the point (and yes i realize that you were making a metaphor, not to be taken literally)

I do play Doom, believe it or not. Online. Not as often as i used to, but i still do try to, when i get the chance. And when I do, I alias.

And i really don't think i'm too shabby of a player, tbh. I used to do friendly duels with players like Thor, Spleen, and James (back when i used the name xXx). If you don't believe me, ask them.

You shouldn't discard my opinion just because you don't see me in priv everyday (or at all). But getting back to the point, i do have an understanding of how capping works, and I think that people who constantly break the flow and screw things up should, if anything, receive a reprimand of some sort (even if they're not forced to sit that round out or w/e i voted for).
Last edited by Ænima on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 am

Metal wrote: You can be nice to people, show them how to play and have a nice enviroment for priv instead of the trash can it's become.
Just gonna pick a little here, but would you not agree that if you have to show someone how to play in priv, should the really be in priv? We have a fairly active public ctf going.

I don't really think ridicule is the problem, so much as general apathy. People will join the server an automatically refuse to be captain, which is rather perplexing. I would personally like to know why people hate being captain so much.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Metal

Post by Metal » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 am

Decay wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Which is almost always the case around here sadly. So instead of making rules for this, I think we should all try to be overall nicer.
Best post in this thread. Maybe people should quit being assholes, wanna-be trolls, and total dumbasses (calling it "competition"), and people may be more inclined to cap if they know they aren't going to be destroyed verbally if they lose. And don't give me that "ignore them" bullshit, you know as well as I do that's not effective.
Ah, you took the thoughts right from my brain. It's not "babying"...It's being respectable. And acting mature players, rather than a bunch of idiots.
Last edited by Metal on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular

Post by Hammerfest- » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 am

Tor-Bjorn wrote:
Metal wrote: You can be nice to people, show them how to play and have a nice enviroment for priv instead of the trash can it's become.
Just gonna pick a little here, but would you not agree that if you have to show someone how to play in priv, should the really be in priv? We have a fairly active public ctf going.

I don't really think ridicule is the problem, so much as general apathy. People will join the server an automatically refuse to be captain, which is rather perplexing. I would personally like to know why people hate being captain so much.
Exactly, it's not even that hard to learn how to priv. You simply use randcaps, pick your players, and that's that. New people will join priv, and normally will refuse to be a captain when they join for some silly reason, which of course people will get upset about because of the constant "No, I refuse to be captain." This goes back to the whole 'If you're not gonna cap, then why priv then?' You're better off staying in pub than trying to wait in line to get picked.