Suggestion: Make 'Blue Simple' the default forum theme

Old stuff gets archived here.
Tenchu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: LF

Suggestion: Make 'Blue Simple' the default forum theme

Post by Tenchu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:22 am

The current default theme is ugly and can sometimes be a pain to read. Blue Simple is IMO the nicest and cleanest looking (the space background on Blue Simple Space is unnecessary), and is an easy transition for people coming from the Skulltag forums. The translucence of the current default is entirely stupid, as it just makes things harder to read. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people would prefer solid backgrounds to the translucence stuff.

Also, regardless of what theme is the default, I think a new icon pack is in order. I really liked the icons from the Skulltag forums, with the blue and red skulls for read and unread. It would be a good idea to get a spriter to make make some new icons for the threads.
[22:42:21] [@SkullRush] ok guys today was one of the worst days of my life i spent p much 18 hours in my pc watching hentai and played doom with huge lag i guess i shiould go to bed now
[22:42:26] [@SkullRush] if i dont suicide, see you guys tomorrow
[22:42:29] [@SkullRush] bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb^_^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[22:43:02] • Quit: (SkullRush) (~SkullRush@SkullRush.users.zandronum.com) ("Quitting")
[22:43:40] [+Jenova] wow
[22:43:47] [+Jenova] ur avg zandronum player ladies and gentlemen

Tenchu

RE: Suggestion: Make 'Blue Simple' the default forum theme

Post by Tenchu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:03 am

I saw that, but it's archived so no one can vote or post in it so I dismissed it. Why was it archived already? I think the poll should be left open and in a conspicuous place (an announcement/sticky perhaps?) for at least a couple more weeks while new users are still pouring in, 36 votes isn't a very wide pool of users considering there's already over 250 users and counting.
[22:42:21] [@SkullRush] ok guys today was one of the worst days of my life i spent p much 18 hours in my pc watching hentai and played doom with huge lag i guess i shiould go to bed now
[22:43:02] • Quit: (SkullRush) (~SkullRush@SkullRush.users.zandronum.com) ("Quitting")

infurnus
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am

The other themes haven't been updated with the latest forum icons yet, here's an example of what they should look like:
Critique is welcome

EDIT: whipped these up quick after looking over the old forum icons again

EDIT2:
Ten wrote: I saw that, but it's archived so no one can vote or post in it so I dismissed it. Why was it archived already? I think the poll should be left open and in a conspicuous place (an announcement/sticky perhaps?) for at least a couple more weeks while new users are still pouring in, 36 votes isn't a very wide pool of users considering there's already over 250 users and counting.
Whoops, missed this. That's what I get for not refreshing the page
Anywho, it was stickied in Zandronum Talk until a couple hours ago, people were asking why the thread was necessary and the other stickied thread about the logo technically wasn't needed since it's a per-theme thing. I'll add the theme one back so you can vote
EDIT3: It should be in the Forum Management section now, though I got a few odd glitches so it might actually be all over the place(!) but for the most part people can see it again
Last edited by infurnus on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am

Honestly, I almost find it easier to read with the current default theme.
And IMHO, the simple fact that it's really good looking makes it that much better. (I find the Wrack forums really bland to browse.)

esselfortium

Post by esselfortium » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 am

I really like the current default theme, too. Blue Simple is really bland and generic-looking, and the relatively low contrast makes it harder to read than Bong, whose backdrop is nice and dark behind the translucency and whose text is quite bright and readable.

Tenchu

Post by Tenchu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:17 am

To each his own, I suppose I might've underestimated how many people would like the translucency.

Also Infurnus I like the icons, although I still prefer the Skulltag colors (blue for read, red for unread, gray for locked), perhaps you could create another theme with the old icon colors? I would most definitely use that if it were made.

infurnus

Post by infurnus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 am

To be honest, I have no idea how the themes work. The current default theme is by Wartorn, if I recall, so maybe I can bug him politely request it

Devon
Forum Regular

Post by Devon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 am

esselfortium wrote: I really like the current default theme, too. Blue Simple is really bland and generic-looking, and the relatively low contrast makes it harder to read than Bong, whose backdrop is nice and dark behind the translucency and whose text is quite bright and readable.
Bloax wrote: Honestly, I almost find it easier to read with the current default theme.
And IMHO, the simple fact that it's really good looking makes it that much better. (I find the Wrack forums really bland to browse.)
I agree, these forums are appealing to the eye and aren't dominated by bright primary colours that strains the eyes and would probably give you a headache after five minutes of browsing. I find everything here easy to read, and the colours of the icons? Bit trivial IMO, but they seem fine, I can always distinguish between the three of them and that's the important thing.

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't like how green is used on the topic icons for both a hot topic and one with new posts, personally.

Something like this would be better, IMO:

Wartorn

Post by Wartorn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Synert wrote: I don't like how green is used on the topic icons for both a hot topic and one with new posts, personally.
Yeah I kinda forgot to fix the icons (They're slightly broken atm) even after being showered with fixed versions from Infurnus. Woops!~

I'll jump on that later.
Last edited by Wartorn on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm using Blue Simple. Personally I like that the default is something other than what I use, since it's more obvious when my cookie is expired. :P
Blzut3 wrote:Only in the Doom community does one find something so obviously broken and then claim it's a feature.

infurnus

Post by infurnus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:09 am

Synert wrote: I don't like how green is used on the topic icons for both a hot topic and one with new posts, personally.

Something like this would be better, IMO:
This is superior.
I'll redo the updated icons to match your suggestions

EDIT: The icons are updated in Wartorn's Smoky Tokyo themes, CTRL+F5 or clear your cache to see them
When DA gets back I'll give him the zip of my icons so the other themes can have them too
Last edited by infurnus on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.