Why isn't ZDaemon our friend?

Old stuff gets archived here.
Drayko

Why isn't ZDaemon our friend?

Post by Drayko » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:17 am

Odamex is but not ZD.
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Last edited by Drayko on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Why isn't ZDaemon our friend?

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 am

I wasn't aware either was anything more than a competitor.

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 am

A friend? It's a doom port not the latest episode of mlp.

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

someoneelse
Forum Regular

Post by someoneelse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am

He talks about friends list on a main site... Well, maybe it's because Odamex... is not a direct competitor, I think?
Shared keys will now be in Zandro! Thanks devs for their work, and users for the support!
<AlienOverlord> Do you have any friends at all
<AlienOverlord> You play Doom

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 am

Because there has been bad PR between both of them... its kinda obvious.

legion

Post by legion » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Last edited by legion on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal

Post by Metal » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I personally don't have any real problems with ZD or it's staff. I play ZD, I don't say much in zdplayers, I stay out of trouble and don't spam anything. I'm not a fanboy but I'm not totally "LOL GO ZDAEMON" either. It's just a doom port. It's there to play. If the staff was really as corrupt as people say they are, I would've been banned long ago for things I've said over there and here.

I've tried myself to make peace with them between us and Zandro/ST a long time ago. But the feud may be before my time here, so I dunno.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Null7
Banned

Post by Null7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Well, let's say they still mad after a 2006 event (aka CodeImpDDOS).

HeX9109
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by HeX9109 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Null7 wrote: Well, let's say they still mad after a 2006 event (aka CodeImpDDOS).
I'm pretty sure the ZD staff are well aware that Carnevil and Skulltag had nothing to do with that attack.

I think the reason Odamex is included is because the people that represent Odamex and the people that represent Zandronum get along pretty well. ZDaemon as a port may not necessarily have any "bad tidings" with Zandronum, but certain developers there have publicly spoken against Skulltag products supporting ZDaemon in any way. One fine example is that certain ZDaemon staff went out of their way to prevent Doomseeker from having ZDaemon support (At the time, Doomseeker was considered a "Skulltag product.")

A developer working on the site informed me back when the site was being designed that he was going to put Odamex in the friends list, however looking back I think it might have been a bad idea because it could be considered as favoritism and create bad relations. This is pretty obvious because not even 24 hours after the forums are back up, someone is already taking it as offensive and posting about it.

IDL is fine though because it is port agnostic, it just uses Odamex to play games on.
Last edited by HeX9109 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like a good neighbor, UD is there! http://www.unidoom.org

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:41 pm

I can't even find the friends list, let alone Odamex.

EDIT: NVM, found it; it's in the bottom right-hand corner of the main page (thanks, Lllewellyn).

So anyway, why would ZDaemon be listed as a "friend"? In Odamex's case, there are prominentish members of the Zandronum community who are involved in its administration and development. If the same can be said of ZDaemon, then it would make sense to add it as a "friend." If we just share a few players, then I'm cool with leaving it off.
Last edited by Qent on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fluffles
Forum Regular

Post by Fluffles » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Lol friends, it might be better to rename that. Maybe related websites? Something abit more neutral, rather than gathering a bunch of ports/websites and calling them friends. Or could rename it to links? bit like http://zdaemon.org/?CMD=links most of those are related.

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:48 pm

What if we are "friends"? :razz:

Zap610

Post by Zap610 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 pm

They're still our friends... We've just been busy lately with stuff. I mean it's not like they called either.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 pm

What? ZDaemon is on the list...
The button is just invisible :3
Last edited by Llewellyn on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:03 pm

What? Be friends with a bunch of no hablas ingles? nty

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 am

Yay friends, group hug anyone ??? ???

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Nubcakes

Post by Nubcakes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:03 pm

/hug ^_^/

I personally try to keep on top of most doom ports. It's always interesting to see what each port offers. Skulltag was my favorite for quite a while because it's multiplayer capabilities made it insanely easy to set up over LAN. GZDOOM and ZDOOM are great and all but they do not lend themselves kindly to multiplayer environment where people want to continuously come and go. Zdaemon 1.02 was easy to setup but it lacked all the features and resources that Skulltag offered at the time. Since 1.04C I never really gave it another chance it always seemed to have "less" than skulltag. I never heard of Odamex before, this is the first I've heard that name to be honest.

Risen3d and EDGE both have some pretty interesting features too, but for no multiplayer which kind of makes them useless in my opinion. Vavoom and Doom Legacy have solid multiplayer but it feels lacking compared to skulltag and now Zandronum. Maybe I'll check out Odamex and the newer ZDaemon, but I dunno. Thus far Zandronum seems to be continuing almost everything I liked from Skulltag. I am abit sore still about the resources not being carried over, but as long as you can still include them on your own it's okay with me.

edit; Anyone remember the old Marine's Best Friend or Smack My Marine up?
Last edited by Nubcakes on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Post by Spottswoode » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 pm

We are not friends for the same reason that teenage girls' 900000000000 Facebook friends are not really their friends. The fact that we have a few things in common and probably a moderate deal of common ground does not mean that given the option, we'd stick our necks out for each other. In all honesty, we're all pretty self interested in the world of Doom ports. We do our own thing and respect other people provided they do the same. Drama has arisen between the two ports from time to time and rivalry has been perpetuated by both sides. We're comfortable with our distance from each other. Let's not screw with it.
Last edited by Spottswoode on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Spleen
New User

Post by Spleen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 pm

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?p=251465#251465
Kilgore wrote:Ladna and his IRC bot: even if we wanted to support the IDL (which we don't), there is no way we'd let random people run bots on our chat server: there was a reason we went to the trouble of making our own chat client and our own server, and that was to control what sort of software runs in there.
Kilgore wrote:The IDL issue: this is related to the ralphis issue. When that gentleman got banned from here, he tried to come up with a zdaemon alternative so he could take our players away. That was an attempted resurrection of csdoom (renamed to odamex). He soon realized how much work it is to make and maintain a doom port, so this was abandoned. His next attempt was a league running on private servers so ralphis can play on it and also "stick it to zdaemon" (by taking zdaemon players out of public servers). That league was IDL. So.... what's the argument? support a league run by ralphis and whose purpose is to "stick it to zdaemon" ? are we crazy here? If you guys want zdaemon to support a league (any league), make sure it doesn't run on private servers; if it does, then you're not doing zdaemon any favor and zdaemon will reciprocate.
I'm not sure why Kilgore spends all this time bothering with this kind of thing, but he runs the ZDaemon community and tries to control it too much. It's a game, and that kind of atmosphere gets on some peoples' nerves.

Ever since Zandronum went open source, you could say it's encouraging the opposite - if you got master banned and/or hate or disagree with the staff, you could always run off and do your own thing with the software, be it running a league or making a totally different port based off of it. That's what open source software is all about.
Last edited by Spleen on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Painkiller
New User

Post by Painkiller » Mon May 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello all! A new blood here :D
Now subj related: Personally I'm very dissappointed 'bout this lon'time ragecampaign. Whatever it was, it was lon'go. I know Kilgore from 2007 and he's a cool guy. A bit conservative though, but, I guess, it's ok, due to his age. Maybe he's not the main ZD dev (more like bugfixer), but the job he does there is great. And hard too. And his statement 'bout ZD staying closed port must be perfectly understood. Esp. after all that cheating-hacking shit ZD passed through (and prolly still does). I bet Zandrodevs wouldn't want some homemade freak take zandro source, fiddle with it, turn it to shit and then put it in publicity as the very same Zandronum.

PS. I'd really love to see the Zandro-Oda-ZD alliance come true in order to create one and only ultimate engine :)