Couple of questions from a novice trying to make invasion map

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
HappySword
New User

Couple of questions from a novice trying to make invasion map

Post by HappySword » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:19 pm

Hello

I've spent the last few weeks learning how to use Ultimate Doom Builder and making some vanilla-style maps, later looking at the zdoom features and a tiny bit of scripting (action on death etc.). As a complete newbie, I am impressed with the amount of resource available and have been able to answer my own questions, at least, up until now.

I am now having a stab at an invasion map and have been unable to work out what I need to do next. I do, however, think that I know what it is that I need to know...

1. Can I set a wave-limit to a single map?

I've tried using SLADE to insert a CMPGNINF into the map with the below text but Zandronum crashed when I tried to run it. I've looked and some other people's projects and can see this usually sits in the PK3 file. Will I need to zip my single map into a PK3 to add a wave limit?:

{
mapname = MAP01
gamemode = invasion
wavelimit = 13
}

2. What is required for map actions at the start/end of waves (doors/sectors moving etc.)?

I assume that this is dealt with by scripting? I've tried opening others work in UDB & SLADE but can't seem to find anything (no ACS scripting or weird tricks as far as I can see). I have found pretty much no information about this so if you guys know of a good resource that would be great.

Apologies if either of these are stupid questions!

Thanks!!

HappySword
New User

Re: Couple of questions from a novice trying to make invasion map

Post by HappySword » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:30 am

I need to go to bed, but after finding the zdoom and zandronum wikis I have managed to get the below to run, which only opens the door at the start of the level every time. Progress though!

Code: Select all

script 1 OPEN
{
	while (( GetInvasionWave() != 2 ) || (GetInvasionState( ) != IS_COUNTDOWN ))
		{Door_Open(1,16);}
}

HappySword
New User

Re: Couple of questions from a novice trying to make invasion map

Post by HappySword » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:33 am

Just in cases anyone finds this thread and has the same issue, I just needed to add a delay (utnt_inv.wad had its ACS script uncompiled so I got it from there):

Code: Select all

script 3 OPEN
{
	while (( GetInvasionWave( ) != 2 ) || ( GetInvasionState( ) != IS_COUNTDOWN ))
		delay( 1 );
	Door_Open(1,16);

}