Player class selection menu not showing translations via decorate code [question]

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
BarneyTheDinosaur
New User

Player class selection menu not showing translations via decorate code [question]

Post by BarneyTheDinosaur » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:50 pm

By any chance someone know if is it a limitation, i mean, i made three player classes using the same sprites (this sprite uses weird colors to make translations easier to do) but the translation code on decorate isn't being shown on the class selection menu that shows the player class, the original colors of the sprite appears instead and it's very uggly, by any chance someone know if is it a limitation or is there a way to show the player classes on menu with the translated colors via decorate code? Or even if there is a way to select which animation to show in the player class selection menu, or even disable those sprites showing..

madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

Re: Player class selection menu not showing translations via decorate code [question]

Post by madcat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:10 pm

If you want to disable the PLAY ABCD sprites ( or whatever sprite names they have ) being shown when you select the player class - there is an easy way to do it. Give the player class "scale 0.05" which will make him look so small that you will hardly see him. Then, in his "spawn" state, put A_SetScale(1.0) - that will make him look normal in game. Or you can play with the player states a bit - the animation shown when you are selecting your player class is the "see state" of the player - so if you make the player jump into another state by, lets say:

See:
PLAY A 0 a_jump(256,"ActualSee")
PLAY ABCD 4
Loop

ActualSee:
NEWS ABCD 4
Loop

Then the ActualSee state will be shown in the game and the See state will be shown on the player selection menu. However, this way has a drawback - the player will keep playing his "ActualSee" animation even while standing still ( you would have to use speed calculation jump actions to force the player into special spawn states manually which is a bit of drag )

BarneyTheDinosaur
New User

Re: Player class selection menu not showing translations via decorate code [question]

Post by BarneyTheDinosaur » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:54 pm

By now, i'm just realizing that, this looks some kind of limitation, unfortunelly :hmm: At first, my philosofy was to be most economic possible with the size of my wad, using translations codes for sprites and textures that have minor changes so i woundn't need to importing "dublicated files" again and again, but with this problem now, it seems that this will take complicated work to contourn it and as you said, the animation, in fact, got all bugged lol I'm just thinking in re-importing the sprites files with the color already settled.. :wink: