[DECORATE] How does the "skins" folder work with custom mods?

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

[DECORATE] How does the "skins" folder work with custom mods?

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:02 am

Its gonna be a bit for a weird question but i've been asking it around some friends and peeps that uses doom and none were really able to answer me, so i figured i might ask here.

Let's say i make something with custom sprites/models characters without skins because of specific sets of animations as part of a mod, alright?
Now, i'm not exactly sure how the "skins" folder exactly work, but would it be possible to use it to put optionnal model/sprites/textures replacements that could be used with said custom mods?

You know something that doesn't really affect gameplay but let perhaps a player use its own re-textures in a multiplayer experience that others wouldn't see, like custom textures in a source game?

Konda
Forum Regular

[DECORATE] Re: How does the "skins" folder work with custom mods?

Post by Konda » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Zandronum automatically loads files from the skins folder. It loads them after the iwad and before any custom mods. So in that sense you can't use wads from the skins folder to override a mod's sprites/sounds/textures because the mod is loaded after the skins and its lumps will replace the lumps of the wads in the skins folder. But you can use those wads to define additional skins from their skininfo lump. Also any file you autoload that is not hosted on the server must not have Decorate or ACS code or any lumps that are classified as 'protected' by the game.

Doomenator
Forum Regular

[DECORATE] Re: How does the "skins" folder work with custom mods?

Post by Doomenator » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 am

Textures, sounds, music, animations, additional crosshairs and more, you can easily use in the skins folder. If the main mod is overrides advanced content, such as textures and sound for example, it is sufficient to remove the corresponding resource from the main mod. For the incompatibility is not affected. And if there are no other conflicts.