Any way to make it so suicide (in-game) does not make you lose score?

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Any way to make it so suicide (in-game) does not make you lose score?

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 am

Cause i realized that the only way for people to change clas,s in a class based mod for instance, is to suicide. And i don't want to penalize my players for switching character. And i intend to make some mechanics on my mod to be through giving enemies items that inflicts self damage for as long as they have it.

So is there a way to make it so suicide doesn't apply a -1 to frags/scores of players?

Empyre
Zandrone

Re: Any way to make it so suicide (in-game) does not make you lose score?

Post by Empyre » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm

In some mods, you can change class without having to suicide by spectating and re-joining. However, in some mods (like Beast Incarnation), doing that will cause you to lose what progress you've made towards leveling up. Also, unless your mod is aimed at competitive game modes, the score is not really important.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm

I had a lot of difficulty thinking about this one, given my inexperience with editing stuff to do with multiplayer and given there is nothing you can do to change the amount of frags a player has or at least that is to my knowledge, you might want to look into doing something with a respawn script although I am not entirely sure what I've looked and I can't find anything that shows you can change the amount of frags a player has which was my idea to check to see if a player has changed class, store a variable, use that variable on respawn to remove their frag if they changed class before dying might require some ironing out depending on how many classes you have too and might possibly be exploited in some ways.

FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Empyre wrote:In some mods, you can change class without having to suicide by spectating and re-joining. However, in some mods (like Beast Incarnation), doing that will cause you to lose what progress you've made towards leveling up. Also, unless your mod is aimed at competitive game modes, the score is not really important.
And by competitive game modes i suppose you mean CTF and such, right?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm

FranckyFox2468 wrote:
Empyre wrote:In some mods, you can change class without having to suicide by spectating and re-joining. However, in some mods (like Beast Incarnation), doing that will cause you to lose what progress you've made towards leveling up. Also, unless your mod is aimed at competitive game modes, the score is not really important.
And by competitive game modes i suppose you mean CTF and such, right?
Pretty much any game mode that involves fragging.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Try something like Thing_Damage or Thing_Damage2 on the player to kill him without making him lose a frag. Make a custom suicide alias via keyconf which pukes a NET acs script that does Thing_Damage, and then make it so players can bind a key in the "customize controls" menu to execute that alias. Then make your mod enforce sv_disallowsuicide and inform your players on the proper way to commit suicide or apply a class change.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Konda wrote:Try something like Thing_Damage or Thing_Damage2 on the player to kill him without making him lose a frag. Make a custom suicide alias via keyconf which pukes a NET acs script that does Thing_Damage, and then make it so players can bind a key in the "customize controls" menu to execute that alias. Then make your mod enforce sv_disallowsuicide and inform your players on the proper way to commit suicide or apply a class change.
I think dying to monsters doesn't cause players to lose a frag. What he can do is, use "Spawn" to spawn a monster, give it a TID, set it as the source of damage and kill the player, then quickly remove this monster. Of course this monster should probably be a custom one with no real sounds or states, so as to affect the game as little as possible.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Huh, these are pretty good sounding alternatives. I'll try em out and give you guys a note when i get results.
Since its script based, i guess i could make it so script can only be used inside spawns or something to avoid kill denial and spams for deathmatch type game modes.