Edit/disable althud

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Edit/disable althud

Post by HexaDoken » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 pm

soup

Is it possible to somehow edit or at least disable alt-hud? I want to disallow the player to see precise health and ammo counts on their HUD, which is easy to do as long as they use the normal hud but goes right out of the window as long as alt-hud is turned on.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Re: Edit/disable althud

Post by Ivan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Make your hud using ACS and put carefully placed images to block parts of the alt-hud. That can be a good workaround.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:01 am

Ivan wrote:Make your hud using ACS and put carefully placed images to block parts of the alt-hud. That can be a good workaround.
That sounds shitty, man. :/

also welcome back, Hexa! haven't seen you in a while ...
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Ivan wrote:Make your hud using ACS and put carefully placed images to block parts of the alt-hud. That can be a good workaround.
Yeah that... is not exactly ideal, if not only because of the difficulty of creating a proper hud in ACS. (how do u bars? how do you scale?(sethudsize exists but iirc if you have widescreen monitor it will not allow you to put anything beyond 4:3 space). also want to coopspy somebody and see their hud? haha nope). On top of that if somebody will really want to see the numerical values of their health and ammo there are a bunch of other ways they could do it (chat substitution, printinv).

I do guess I could slap a "Hey kids this mod is not really designed with althud in mind" message of some sort...
Ænima wrote:also welcome back, Hexa! haven't seen you in a while ...
Spoiler: offtop (Open)
lol people remember me??????
yeah well I've always been kind of lurking around, but never really got interested in anything enough to come up? it also doesn't help that my main place of idling used to be IRC and my ISP decided to break IRC on my end(which is incidentally why I'm asking here instead of on #zamapping)

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Ænima wrote:
Shitty or not, a solution regardless. Back in the old days people would work around limitations rather than cry about solutions being "shitty".

NachtIntellect
Forum Regular

Post by NachtIntellect » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Ivan wrote:
Ænima wrote:
Shitty or not, a solution regardless. Back in the old days people would work around limitations rather than cry about solutions being "shitty".
I do actually have one problem with using ACS for HUD that is if you plan to go into an online game now if the HUD is in the list of used wads that's fine but without it you won't be able to play online with the hud, but if you use ACS for the hud and the server you join is lagging somewhat it will flicker which can be annoying.

The best solution would be to use a custom hud but don't define anything you don't want.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:15 pm

WhiteAce wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Ænima wrote:
I do actually have one problem with using ACS for HUD that is if you plan to go into an online game now if the HUD is in the list of used wads that's fine but without it you won't be able to play online with the hud, but if you use ACS for the hud and the server you join is lagging somewhat it will flicker which can be annoying.

The best solution would be to use a custom hud but don't define anything you don't want.
You make the hud clientside and sync whatever you need to sync using items.