Exploiting as an issue

Discuss master server operations and talk about your server clusters here.

Moderator: Master Server Staff

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

RE: Exploiting as an issue

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:41 am

Would YOU like to have a friend whom you can never trust because he values law over you?
I'd rather play with players who abide by the rules than cheaters, some morals that you and your fellow soviet players seem to severely lack.

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:45 am

[quote=autism]
I don't understand why do the people (regular players that is, not admins) see themselves as port's police and simply have to report everyone they see
[/quote]
Because most of us are from civilized countries where morality actually matters.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:46 am

Samurai wrote: There is a difference onetwo.

If I had a strong concern or suspicion someone was cheating, of course I would take action, or tell someone who could look into the case for me.

My gripe is that it is very low, and cowardly to try and snitch your fellow friends up for cheating, to try and save your own skin.... especially when the guy in question was cheating himself. Galactus' snitched on his so called friend to save himself, not to help the admins out. Shame it backfired for him...
Yh that's still snitching. I guess though unlike irl there's fuck all you can do to resolve it other than telling staff. You're gripe is fair enough though, if you're willing to cheat or w.e it probably suggests other weasly characteristics.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:50 am

Samurai wrote:I'd rather play with players who abide by the rules than cheaters, some morals that you and your fellow soviet players seem to severely lack.
I'm sure that he wouldn't aimbot, wallhack or cheat otherwise in duels with me. For me, that is enough. I don't really understand why would you shittalk and push away people because of things that they haven't done to you nor have any relation to you.

I'm glad that I'm lacking these morals that value abstract principles over specific relationships, actually.
Catastrophe wrote:
autism wrote: I don't understand why do the people (regular players that is, not admins) see themselves as port's police and simply have to report everyone they see
Because most of us are from civilized countries where morality actually matters.
It's so cool that you call me autism, please continue.
On the point, morality makes sure that YOU personally don't break the law. Giving away random people, neighbours, friends, and sometimes even family to the system is way closer to soviet (before it dissolved) mentality. And the latter has nothing to do with morality.

What I would do, is warn the aforementioned friend that he's in danger of being punished for law breaking (in this case — rule breaking) and if he consciously ignores my warning, make sure that the shit wave in case of him being busted doesn't hit me. Although in this case I learned about Galactus' drop thing the same way everyone else did.

P.S. I'm kinda derailing here, so I probably won't post on this matter anymore. Cat should be happy.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:51 am

[quote=autism]
I'm sure that he wouldn't aimbot, wallhack or cheat otherwise in duels with me. For me, that is enough. I don't really understand why would you shittalk and push away people because of things that they haven't done to you nor have any relation to you.

I'm glad that I'm lacking these morals that value abstract principles over specific relationships, actually.
[/quote]

Ladies and gentlemen, Autism Overload.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:58 am

ZZYZX wrote:
Samurai wrote:I'd rather play with players who abide by the rules than cheaters, some morals that you and your fellow soviet players seem to severely lack.

Catastrophe wrote:
autism wrote: I don't understand why do the people (regular players that is, not admins) see themselves as port's police and simply have to report everyone they see
It's so cool that you call me autism, please continue.
On the point, morality makes sure that YOU personally don't break the law. Giving away random people, neighbours, friends, and sometimes even family to the system is way closer to soviet (before it dissolved) mentality. And the latter has nothing to do with morality.
Completely agree with this second point. And would like to see Samurai reply and support why most people in doom arent snitches. Having said that this is doom and not the real world... the lines blur though when you nake good friends in doom and thus some may expect real world morals like standing by someone even if theyve done wrong.
Also loving how even though AO is such an autist the only way you can argue or debate with him is by putting him down or babyish name calling.
Last edited by one_Two on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:27 am

vegeta sent me a DEHACKED exploit 7 years ago is it too late to snitch?
Last edited by Ænima on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:38 am

Ænima wrote: vegeta sent me a DEHACKED exploit 7 years ago is it too late to snitch?
All cheaters got unbanned from the transition to Zandronum so yea

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:04 pm

One_Two, I felt I already explained why in my previous post?

I would hope that if I, or anyone, had a strong suspicion of someone cheating in this community, then they would take the correct course of action and pass any sort of evidence onto server admins. If more people shared this mentality we would a lot easier of a job of catching and sentencing cheaters. This isn't snitching, it's being a decent member of the community doing the morally rightful thing. As Decay pointed out, server admins can't be around 24/7 to maintain everything, so have a small expectation/reliance on honest/decent members of the community to report something if they have a suspicion.

The difference with Galactus' case is that he had full knowledge about this exploit for months, and decided to no nothing about it (laughable considering he apparently has RCON access to GV himself). The day he is finally caught he tries to throw all of his friends under the bus in an attempt to save himself and receive a shorter sentence. This is my take on what snitching is.

See the difference?

John Zombie
Forum Regular

Post by John Zombie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Are you really trying to talk about morals with AO, the moron who kept handing cheats to respectable people like the now-defunct BOMF crew, danzoa, and god only knows who else? Yeah, good luck with that :biggrin:
I don't understand why do the people (regular players that is, not admins) see themselves as port's police and simply have to report everyone they see, often even before these everyone actually do something.
That's bound to happen when certain RCONs use their "power" just to snitch players' IPs to their buttbuddies and nothing else rather than properly administrating the servers, while breaking the rules themselves :rolleyes:
I guess that's another proof about konar's ability to choose his RCONs wisely I guess

Also to stay on topic I'll echo this
Samurai wrote: Holy shit Galactus was throwing his ego around for weeks and turns out the little dipshit was cheating all along?

This is too good :D

Fuck the light sentence, throw the book at the arrogant little cu'nt stain.

I feel so justified right now.
Last edited by John Zombie on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote=mr. Coherence]
Logging started at Sat Dec 28 00:47:52 2013
00:47:52 <capodecima> http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.p ... 8#pid55238
00:48:10 <capodecima> can you post something here ?
00:48:29 <capodecima> decay just crap talk about me all time when beat me and after avoid my challenge lol
[/quote]

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Well, what can I say. Yesterday's noobs, today's cheaters.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Damn love seeing all the people getting off of seeing Galactus and banned in the same sentence. :lol: So after seeing this thread and the general opinion of everyone, I feel the need to throw my 2 cents in. This "game breaking" exploit I was using, was something I strictly only used during the warmup in a "Private" CTF/Scrim server(that's the moment when people pick the map). People have seen me do this, but never complained, because I didn't actually use it in a real match to get an advantage. Immediatly after using this exploit I set the sv_nodrop flag to true, because it would fix the issue. I assumed that if a server flag could fix the "exploit" then it should be fine. (Other server admins also saw me doing this and they had no problem with it either due to the fact that it could be fixed just as easily as I described)

After having quite a long talk with the staff about this matter, the ban came down to me not reporting the exploit immediatly to the staff. Just for that I'm getting a longer ban than a wallhacker. Seems fair huh :wink:

Lastly I didn't throw anyone under the bus, open this http://pastebin.com/DnNg3d5G do CTRL+F, type carp and see how I'm not the first person to mention his name. It was already established that he got reported and was going to get banned.

Edit: Just looked through this http://zandronum.com/banlist.txt I noticed this gem.
//81.165.52.20:Denzoa - February 11 2014, unlagged exploit. Release date Feb 18th.
Guess the staff are biased after all :wink:
Last edited by Galactus on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dsparil

Post by Dsparil » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:35 pm

I have already reported my objection on IRC #Staff Channel, but I'll post it here as well to clear any misunderstandings, I DID NOT exploit the bug, I simply thought sv_nodrop is false , I happened to be on the server with galactus and I saw him spamming the drop weapon, I typed exactly the following: "rofl, why is weapondrop on" and I dropped my rocket launcher ONCE to check if it is really off, and then I stopped and went on with the scrimming business, I had no knowledge of the fact that dropping in competitive gamemodes is not possible, as I never bothered to try it before, I even provided proof in the demo that I happen to record at all times.
here's the demo if any of you are THAT interested, it's the very first map in the demo: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ebe0jv

Carpathia

Post by Carpathia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I should probably weigh in on this too. What I did wasn't even in a scrim. I dropped ssgs in public ctf because I assumed the flag to stop dropping was off. It's not unusual for a server to be mis-configured especially with all the "great" admins around. What I don't understand is why it took 3 and a half months for anything to be done about what I did. It goes to show how serious it was and how many people didn't give a shit. I have not done it since and don't plan to. And what gal said about Fatelord... It's complete bias that a wallhacker was unbanned at all, let alone quicker than someone who dropped a weapon in a ctf warmup. I left drz, not because I was banned - I was told I could play again when I was unbanned - but because I'm fed up of this community being so damn petty.

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

That sounds more like a zandronum bug, if the server is set to not drop itens, then it shouldnt drop itens.
It's the same thing with a clientside Spawn monster, it's wrong, and it shouldn't work.
The same should happen with dropitem, the player, can drop the weapon, but the droped weapon will not be registered into the server, so no one can take that shotgun, and only the player that droped it can see it, but cannot take it
Catfart wrote:
Achievement unlocked, manage to change someone else quote name to autismo

EDIT: This bug should be over ZANDRONUM TRACKER, the problem could be fixed in ehm 1 week and problem solved

EDIT2: ah theres one
http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=2528
Last edited by ibm5155 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Tbh Samurai they are both the definition of snitching, that's why I said for good or for bad.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:54 pm

one_Two wrote: Tbh Samurai they are both the definition of snitching, that's why I said for good or for bad.
Your logic is flawed in this case.

If a guy witnesses a murder and phones the police, do you consider that to be 'snitching' too?

---

On topic, I do have some sympathy with D'Sparil, yeh I think he was stupid to try the command, but I believe he did it unknowing any sort of consequence it could have caused. I think his ban should be reconsidered.

As for Galactus and Carpathia, they had full knowledge of what they were doing and both are correctly banned, and Galactus should count his blessings that he's only banned for 3 months and not a year.

Either way I feel he's cut his ties with this community, he'll always be remembered as the idiot who exploited server settings. As Decay stated, Shadowfox tier.
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm

The definition of snitching is to inform on someone so yes I would. You've just attributed it to negativity rather than looking at the definition.
Last edited by one_Two on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Zombie
Forum Regular

Post by John Zombie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Galactus wrote: Lastly I didn't throw anyone under the bus, open this http://pastebin.com/DnNg3d5G do CTRL+F, type carp and see how I'm not the first person to mention his name. It was already established that he got reported and was going to get banned.
503. <Galactus>the one leonard spread to specific people
nobody mentioned Leonard before that, that's exactly throwing people under the bus in a pathetic attempt to get your ass out of water to me. Fatelord taught you well it seems :rolleyes:

Another question is why are you using a hacked exe in the first place? Since it seems you also refused to hand it to admins nobody knows which other "features" it has that you most likely have (ab)used for all this time, thus making the ban even more justified(it's actually way too short if you ask me).
Galactus wrote: Damn love seeing all the people getting off of seeing Galactus and banned in the same sentence. :lol:
That's probably a bit of a wakeup call for yourself when a multitude of people coming from different backgrounds think you're a gigantic piece of shit, don't you think?
[quote=mr. Coherence]
Logging started at Sat Dec 28 00:47:52 2013
00:47:52 <capodecima> http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.p ... 8#pid55238
00:48:10 <capodecima> can you post something here ?
00:48:29 <capodecima> decay just crap talk about me all time when beat me and after avoid my challenge lol
[/quote]

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Samurai wrote:

On topic, I do have some sympathy with D'Sparil, yeh I think he was stupid to try the command, but I believe he did it unknowing any sort of consequence it could have caused. I think his ban should be reconsidered.
Geez, you have a habbit to post fast when action. He got unbanned already as he was able to supply proof to he did not know what was going on.

We also got the build he was using so we can find out what other stuff/bullshit is in there.