Exploiting as an issue

Discuss master server operations and talk about your server clusters here.

Moderator: Master Server Staff

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

RE: Exploiting as an issue

Post by WaTaKiD » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:53 am

First and foremost, I need to apologize to not only Carpathia, Dsparil, and Galactus for this mess, but also to Leonard, the staff, and the rest of the community as well

To each and every single one of you: I have made a terrible mistake and as a result have caused people to be treated unfairly, and for this I deeply apologize

I am the one responsible for this happening, and it is my fault alone due to my actions, or lack thereof as I will explain.

When this was first reported to me several months ago, I had a chat with Leonard regarding his custom binary and how it allowed dropping weapons during ctf whereas this is not possible with an unmodified client. He stated that allowing this was unintentional and even checked out Zandronum's source code to provide information on what's going on and how to possibly fix it, which then led to me to create a tracker ticket so as to bring it to the dev's attention.

The problem, however, is that I somehow completely and utterly failed to bring this to the staff's attention at the time, and I had only realized this when it was too late.

Now, when this issue came up recently, I was under the assumption that the staff was also aware of this critical need-to-know information, but unfortunately I was gravely mistaken. This has caused the issue to escalate much more than it should have and it's possible that it might not have even happened at all, were it not for my error.

There is no excusing me and I regret that this has happened and I am ashamed, for I have let down both the staff and the community. Things have been done and said that cannot be erased nor forgotten, but I hope that those involved in this can be forgiven, as I am to blame, not them.

It was not my intention for something like this to happen and I am truly very sorry.

Erma
Forum Regular

Post by Erma » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:14 am

WaTaKiD wrote: First and foremost, I need to apologize to not only Carpathia, Dsparil, and Galactus for this mess, but also to Leonard, the staff, and the rest of the community as well

To each and every single one of you: I have made a terrible mistake and as a result have caused people to be treated unfairly, and for this I deeply apologize

I am the one responsible for this happening, and it is my fault alone due to my actions, or lack thereof as I will explain.

When this was first reported to me several months ago, I had a chat with Leonard regarding his custom binary and how it allowed dropping weapons during ctf whereas this is not possible with an unmodified client. He stated that allowing this was unintentional and even checked out Zandronum's source code to provide information on what's going on and how to possibly fix it, which then led to me to create a tracker ticket so as to bring it to the dev's attention.

The problem, however, is that I somehow completely and utterly failed to bring this to the staff's attention at the time, and I had only realized this when it was too late.

Now, when this issue came up recently, I was under the assumption that the staff was also aware of this critical need-to-know information, but unfortunately I was gravely mistaken. This has caused the issue to escalate much more than it should have and it's possible that it might not have even happened at all, were it not for my error.

There is no excusing me and I regret that this has happened and I am ashamed, for I have let down both the staff and the community. Things have been done and said that cannot be erased nor forgotten, but I hope that those involved in this can be forgiven, as I am to blame, not them.

It was not my intention for something like this to happen and I am truly very sorry.
I accept your apology and so should the community :v: . It's only humane to forget things and I certainly don't blame you. I don't think anyone's really to blame... Although:

Even when these fellas were aware of the exploit and just used it regardless of them being aware of it, is still some fishy action. From what I've read, it's not like he/they used it during an actual scrim and more so during warm up scrims to dick around and such, which is understandable in a sense. If I were in his/their (I have no idea who's who and who's actually involved...) shoes: I wouldn't have used any exploit, even though it's there considering that I'm more like to respond with "Oh. Meh." to exploits like that.

I have seen worse cases that got someone banned, so it's not like he/they did something immensely gamebreaking like wallhacking, aimbotting or whateverthefucking or anything. It's not up to me, but I hope things won't escalate even further after this.
Last edited by Erma on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 am

Because of this slight oversight, We have decided to reduce the ban times of carp and Gal. Unfortunately we cant unban because its still an issue using an exploit but we have decided to half your sentences from the start time of your ban.

So if iirc for you Gal, that's 1.5 months
Carp, we will remove yours in a couple of weeks (thats half a month right?)

We do apologize for this horrible fuck up, but it has taught us something i suppose. Our rules/punishments need to be a bit more clear. But still, its not ok!