Updated IDL wad: 201X

Plan tournaments and matches, and initiate challenges here. Prove your inner internet tough guy.
Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Updated IDL wad: 201X

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 am

Since this is targeted to (but not limited to) the competitive CTF scene, I decided to post this here rather than the general mapping section. I had been thinking about updating the IDL wad these the past couple of months, but I never really got the urge to do so until recently. This release isn't promoting a new season or anything like that, it's mainly to keep a familiar name and because privctf.wad/pk3 has been taken already. This wad is mainly for priv and scrims and it will carry on the ideology of 3v3 CTF that the IDLWAD always promoted. I decided to go with 201X because an IDL season could happen this year and a 2015 wad could very well be different from what I have compiled. Anyway, before the pitchforks rise, I'll clarify a few things:
Spoiler: Version A Crap (Open)
The maps that were removed were candidates for removal when the remnants of the IDL administration last talked about the wad (about a year ago?). So basically they weren't removed randomly and in fact slot 18 was a placeholder. Additionally I can't recall anyone particularly praising the aforementioned maps either so we can let them rest in peace and recall the great matches that happened on 02 and 27 (hint: there were none).

A quick note I wanted to make regards slot18. ZDCTF07 was in place of the slot and was supposed to be swapped with a ChaosCore map. However a big drama occurred and that never happened (unfinished wads, work in progresses, hating your own maps, painful lessons etc). So the 'Battle of Snake Canyon' became zdctf07(Ralphis hid the map inside the wad in 2013) since I had removed the map and its additional textures already. I just wanted to clear this up.

Before anyone asks why there aren't any more ChaosCore maps included or updates, here are reasons specific to CC:

1. The wad still isn't in the final stage and is subject to being changed
2. The maps the IDL board wanted in the wad aren't included in the Core release
3. I'm not an expert on Core and I don't know what is generally liked by the testing crew
4. Since there are clusters of Core servers, people could play the maps and give suggestions based on multiple play sessions

Now that all of that has been addressed, it's time for specific map talk:

Map02: Removed the wood map no one played and replaced it with 'Reign of Steel' from RageCTF which is far superior
Map05: Did not update since the core update was mainly aesthetics
Map18: Filled the slot with 'Complex Epsilon' from RageCTF
Map19: Fixed the texture errors and node error that caused things to disappear
Map23: Updated to the latest core version with the improved entrance spawns, ssg and stairs
Map24: Updated to final version of RageCTF that moves spawns away from the flag, items and adds minor structural changes.
Map27: Removed BPCTF and added 'Victoria Island' from ZDECTF3
Map28: Did not update since too many things were changed

There are about 3 maps I have in mind for removal and after they get replaced, I can see the wad going beyond 32 maps. I most likely will cut out the 'P' map numbers since no one really plays them. For this update, I used past talks that occurred in the board channel. However, this release is solely done by me so yelling at dew or bones is not necessary. Any further updates will be based off community feedback (for better or for worse).

As always, feedback is welcomed as well as suggestions for maps. But do not make suggestions from UCTF or 32in24-7 or I will ban you from NJ. Have an ice day.

Current Changes: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.p ... 1#pid82529

Download:
http://files.funcrusher.net/wads/idl201x_a.zip
http://www.[bad site]/download?file=idl201x_a.wad
http://www.[bad site]/download?file=idl201x_b.pk3
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

RE: I updated our beloved wad: 201X

Post by Samurai » Sun May 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Think it was a much needed update, nice job Rust.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:54 am

This is now running on FUNCRUSHER.

Here is a kzipped-up version of the WAD: http://files.funcrusher.net/wads/idl201x_a.zip
Last edited by AlexMax on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 am

I'm not playing that often these days, so I can't really give my personal input just yet, but I hope most will come to like these new changes. :)

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:59 am

Great job, I hope to play on it soon

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:51 am

Hey, why don't you return Frank's old 25? Like into map33.

Also, the new version of Isolation(map28) really hurts eyes in the real game, although looked awesome in the trailer. Please don't replace.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:17 pm

Circunei Z wrote: Hey, why don't you return Frank's old 25?
Probably because we already have map31 for SSG grinds.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Circunei Z wrote: Hey, why don't you return Frank's old 25? Like into map33.
It was removed because it was both unfinished and a much worse SSG grindfest than 31. Current 25 plays in a similar style and actually has a mid. If anything, I'd pick Watermelon's map20 ripoff from RageCTF to put into the wad before I'd return 'Dirt Nap'.
Also, the new version of Isolation(map28) really hurts eyes in the real game, although looked awesome in the trailer. Please don't replace.
I think there are mixed feelings about the new version of Isolation. I have no issue updating the map if there was a strong player demand for the new version. But for the moment, the old version should suffice for all priv/scrim needs.
Projects

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:37 am

Frank's map was... really bad. And "unfinished" is as good a term as any to describe it. There are better maps for that kind of gameplay, like Cata and Rust said.
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
I think there are mixed feelings about the new version of Isolation. I have no issue updating the map if there was a strong player demand for the new version. But for the moment, the old version should suffice for all priv/scrim needs.
Try putting in both versions in the wad, perhaps? Let the priv crowd play and decide which one is best. Besides, as you're no stranger to the idea of pushing for finalized versions of maps to replace their older counterparts in the wad (as seen in that RageCTF map), wouldn't the ChaosCore team also prefer the new version to be put in place?

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:It was removed because it was both unfinished and a much worse SSG grindfest than 31. Current 25 plays in a similar style and actually has a mid. If anything, I'd pick Watermelon's map20 ripoff from RageCTF to put into the wad before I'd return 'Dirt Nap'.
Hey but it was really easy to both D and O in Dirt Nap. We even beat some decent people back then in ancient times of . lol.
idk why people dislike it, as the whole map can be described as "easy". And nice to play as well.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:02 pm

Soul wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Try putting in both versions in the wad, perhaps? Let the priv crowd play and decide which one is best. Besides, as you're no stranger to the idea of pushing for finalized versions of maps to replace their older counterparts in the wad (as seen in that RageCTF map), wouldn't the ChaosCore team also prefer the new version to be put in place?
Problem is, CC isn't finalized and is subject to changes. Infer's update was due to go in over a year ago since he stated that specific map was final (and the map really needed those changes). But regardless, your suggestion is something I can consider.

Hey but it was really easy to both D and O in Dirt Nap. We even beat some decent people back then in ancient times of . lol.
idk why people dislike it, as the whole map can be described as "easy". And nice to play as well.

Easy map because you just sit in 1 spot as D all day. In this magic spot you see everything coming from the enemy base and you don't even have to move to kill things. It seems people got bored of the map because the gameplay was nothing unique or inspiring. I think even fraggers got bored of the map; a map that is nothing but frag power.
Projects

Ru5tK1ng

RE: Updated IDL wad: 201X

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello friends. Here is the belated Christmas/New Years present I had planned on releasing for a while: Version B of 201X. Included are small fixes, axing of duplicate textures and of course new maps. Since the wad was getting fat and overweight thanks to all the new textures for the new maps, I had to put it on a diet and make it into a pk3. Enjoy.

Download: http://www.[bad site]/download?file=idl201x_b.pk3

Fixes:

Map02: Spawn had a different weapon in 1 base. Less der-py lift speed.
Map05: Updated visuals. You're welcome GhoulSlayer.
Map06: Blue portal was missing a frame.
Map07: Updated layout as per author.
Map24: Received streamlined version that reduces FPS lag for 1980 computers. Something about tumors...
Map26: Moved the spawn in front of the flag so you don't start on the ledge.
Removed: P01-03 because no one plays them.

New Maps:
Spoiler: Map09 - Compulsive Simplicity (Open)
Spoiler: Map11 - Wanderlust (Open)
Spoiler: Map15 - The Hex Core (Open)
Spoiler: Map23 - Crypts of the Damned (Open)
Spoiler: Map27 - Sentinel (Open)

BYA (Before you ask):

1. Why did you update map05?
Ghoul asked me a long time ago why it wasn't updated and he seemed sad. So I decided to be nice. The only differences are that the back spawn doesn't have you facing a fucking pillar, the window by the back stairs is a bit bigger allowing you to see and hit more and the mid now has indents which may or may not slow you down.

2. Why did you update map07?
X-Ray asked me personally to update his layout because the old version was way outdated compared to the latest corectf wad at that time. He gave me a version that wasn't touched/molested visually which made changing the map easy.

3. Why did you change map09 - Frozen?
At least once a week whenever the map came up in both pub and priv rotation (after a map was finished), everyone asked why it was still in the wad. Then someone promptly callvoted map04. Every time in the past when someone made their own offshoot priv wad, this map was one to go and no one missed it. Salty Shane map is better, I promise.

4. Why did you change map11 - Tribute?
Fat pub map that even an update (from zd anthology beta) couldn't save. Remember the last time it was picked in priv? Me neither.

5. Why did you change map15 - Sewers Smell Bad?
Never picked in priv. Always callvote map04 when this came up in pub. No one likes sewer maps.

6. Why did you change map23 - Circuit Course?
No one played it. No Dead or Alive volley ball matches occurred. I added a better Infer map (New map15).

7. Why did you change map27 - Victory Island?
Because I fucked up hard. My bad. Not to mention the map blows.

8. Why did you update map28 - Isolation?
Because people were claiming the new version was better and that it should be updated. I'm not sold on it, but we'll all find out now.

9. I actually read this far?
Good job. For your effort I'll let you on a little secret. Since I am a progressive person, I like to do progressive things. Because I wanted to be nice and because I wanted to minimize bitching, the old/current versions of maps 07 and 28 are still in the wad. For priv, callvote map07b and map28b if you prefer the old versions. The only downside is that you may or may not have to argue it out with your team unless you're a cap.

As usual, comments, suggestions or bitching is welcomed. Have an iced day.
Projects

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:07 pm

good update this will revitalize the doom community maybe

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:47 am

I look at compulsive simplicity and I know Rosking is sitting at his computer laughing his little ass off at my salted creation straight from my salty piss dungeon

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I've heard there have been some issues with the new map05's detail work. Can some people chime in if this is the case.
Projects

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:41 pm

make map05b gg problem solved

uggi121
Forum Regular

Post by uggi121 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:52 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote: I've heard there have been some issues with the new map05's detail work. Can some people chime in if this is the case.
I prefer the old version of map05 to the new one. Would be great if you could get the old version without those spawn pillars, which someone suggested yesterday.
"I want to learn French. Hope I'm taught how to gif French kiss."

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:16 am

In the defence for the pillar, I use that to hide with the flag, and it's not that bad if you know how to move.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Dragoon
New User

Post by Dragoon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:38 am

Pillars stay overall,my personal opinion is that the pillars are annoying af, but as pointed out you can use them effectively and promote more skill in organized ctf ( JK lol pillars suk)
[17:18:44] <+Sanguine>: !eightball Can I qualify for IDL?
[17:18:44] <GameServ>: NO!
[17:19:03] <+Sanguine>: I thought so :(

[16:04:12] <@Destroyer>: i couldnt even beat me
[16:04:36] <@Destroyer>: are you just blind
[16:04:40] <@Destroyer>: or ignorant?

[17:14:29] <+Sanguine>: !lottery has anyone lost to Dr.Lemonade?
[17:14:29] <GameServ>: Pomato1

Ru5tK1ng

Re: Updated IDL wad: 201X

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:09 am

Due to the wad causing problems, I have to make a release fixing the issue as well as visual and small structural edits to the current maps. I haven't touched my updated wad since Jan 1 2016, so no clue what I fixed. In any case, I want to add some new maps so suggestions please or the only thing you'll get is a fixed map15.