SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
HexaDoken
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - The Mission is Finished.

Post by HexaDoken » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Did you make a tracker ticket for it?

Because you should make a tracker ticket for it.

Like, seriously.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm

HexaDoken wrote: Did you make a tracker ticket for it?

Because you should make a tracker ticket for it.

Like, seriously.
I did.

http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=2152

Unfortunately "Arbituary Server Crash" is about as specific a bug as I can nail-down; I have a crash log but it's all I've got.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Well, it's usually good enough - that crashlog actually has a great heap of info to work with.

Waiting time now, I guess.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:30 am

Alright, good news and bad news!

Good news: The server is actually running again.

Bad news: It's a workaround - the crash itself isn't fixed.

Badder news: There's still a bunch of bugs I gotta fix.
Last edited by Untitled on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - The Mission is Resurrected!

Post by bruiserdaemon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 pm

@Untitled: did you... do something about the overmind? As far as i remember i can still chop him down with the axe. I can imagine few things as lame as to kill a super boss with a rusty axe.

Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - A New Realm Awaits...

Post by Untitled » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:34 am

Alright, at this point, 0.12 is (VERY surprisingly) actually stable, so I'm gonna try this again:

Taking a developmental Hiatus.

The reason?

Well, basically real life is getting in the way, and I need to put this to rest, until I have time.

As it turns out, developing samsarahold is a very time consuming process - meaning that if I don't have the time to do so, I can't actually release and test and bugfix and stuff.

While there is still a lot of things that could be better, it's at a good enough stage that I'm ready to take a break from it.

See you next summer.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - A New Realm Awaits...

Post by Untitled » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Yeah, I can't quit doom; it's too fun.

0.15 first alpha is out.

Development will still be -very- slow (a new alpha every two weeks, it's looking like, and I will only test regularly on weekends), but I can't quit Doom; it's too fun to quit.
MONSTER DATABASE NEW ENTRY:

FORMER HUMAN PLASMAGUNNER
HEALTH: 50
SPEED: Slow
THREAT LEVEL: Medium
DEMON TYPE: Undead
ATTACK TYPE: Projectile
AWARD: $3-5
SPECIAL ABILITY: None
DESCRIPTION: Much like the other former humans, these guys will go down easily. Sadly, they carry a plasma rifle, and while they don't fire it as fast as you do, it will still incinerate you if you aren't careful. It is advised to not let them fire upon you when you fight them. Worse still, they only drop an energy cell upon death, rather than a plasma rifle.
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.15 - It Begins!

Post by bruiserdaemon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Nice. But if they can hurt other demons they'll end up making the waves easier, so i think they shouldn't. There was a cyborg zombie with a plasma rifle which i found in a mod but i can't remember the name of the mod ( it was the one with the " giant vixen " boss, the giant girl in sadomasochistic dress ), i thought it was the coolest zombie ever, this one being resilient and powerful unlike other zombies, i think you should add it ( so there's finally a zombie which poses an actual threat among the masses of good for nothing zombified humans ).

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Plasma Zombies do not actually hurt other monsters - plasma isn't splash based, and they are the shooters (unlike catharsi detonators).
MONSTER DATABASE NEW ENTRY:

NIGHTMARE CACODEMON
HEALTH: 700
SPEED: Quick
THREAT LEVEL: Medium-High
DEMON TYPE: Demon/Nightmare
ATTACK TYPE: Projectile and Melee
AWARD: $11
SPECIAL ABILITY: Flight
DESCRIPTION: These spectral monstrosities make the nightmare demon look nice. Moving faster than the ordinary cacodemon, these blue and partially invisible nightmares will shoot blue fireballs which travel twice as fast as the normal cacodemon fireballs. In addition to that, they shoot them out much faster than an ordinary cacodemon. Adding to THAT is the fact that they are almost twice as tough as the cacodemon.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri May 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Alpha 2 is out, check OP for changelog.

0.15 is a pretty big update, in case you haven't figured it out - revamped hard mode spawning, two new enemies (and possibly more, but I'm on the fence, meet me in server to discuss more), lots of map changes, more fun, more general craziness.

I've split the pk3 up - the resources pack, the code, and the maps.

This way, you don't have to re-download 70+ megs of resources every time I update the code.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 am

Ok, im going to pre warn now that bruiserdaemon, if you start another argument or get rather "flamable" at Untitled again or vice versa, we may need to take drastic measures.

Untitled does not need this and he is not entitled to do anything you suggest. He already listened to your feedback and he gave you his reasoning.
Do this again, and you may find more then your posts from this thread are in the trash.

Stay civil and Untitled, resume your modding :)

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 am

Yeah, and sorry for kind of going snap-mode - I do that sometimes, and it's pretty crazy when I do.

Plus, mifu's right - the last couple posts were decidedly getting into shout matches - and I shouldn't stoop to that level.

An an unrelated note, modding has resumed; next alpha is tomorrow, with this list of features - and again, speak up if you want more:
Spoiler: the good stuff (Open)
-No changes to the resource file.
-Due to there being confusion about what was ally and what was enemy, Doomguy's reinforcement unit has been changed from Friendly Dark Imps to a friendly marine unit. Same goes for the belphegors.
-Duke's reinforcement unit now spawns either the assault troopers or the assault captains (no difference in firepower, but the assault captains can teleport).
-Duke's battlelord has been nerfed significantly.
-For those that don't know, originally the beacon item spawned marines that wielded samsara weapons. A new CVar, samsarahold_allymarines, has been implemented, which returns this old functionality for the reinforcement unit.
-Then, because I'm crazy, it also works for the elite reinforcement unit, spawning marines wielding (somewhat weakened, for balance reasons) Slot VII weapons.
-A new CVar, samsarahold_cl_turnthatdamnalarmoff, makes the alarm silent, so we don't have to hear it repeatedly.
-Lightning Bolt no longer makes players go blind. Again.
-MA-75B grenades nerfed.
-Hard Modes work on replay mode, for real this time.
-Orbit (STR14, Tier 3 Mission 3) has been shortened.
-Bipolar Bunker (STR23, Tier 5 Mission 2) has gotten a major rework - it simply was an exercise in extreme patience and/or tediousness - it turns out large numbers of hectebi slow the game down to a ridiculous extent.
-Cyclone (STR27, Tier 6 Mission 1) has also gotten a major rework for the exact same reasons - we spent literally almost 10 minutes cleaning up hectebi, waiting for them to spawn so we can finish the goddamn wave.
-Nerfed Tomed Dragon claw - I'm not certain that I've done this right, but it should stop topping scoreboards every time it comes out.
Last edited by Untitled on Fri May 08, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt » Fri May 08, 2015 11:21 am

A real quick one; what about a CVar "samsarahold_cl_announcer"? I personally like using the Samsara announcer, but it's a bit weird having two different announcers.

Setting this to 0 will keep the current behavior, but 1 will set it to use clips from Samsara's announcer. If possible, you could replace 1 with an option to just make it take the sound clips from the player's currently loaded announcer file.
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Fri May 08, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri May 08, 2015 9:37 pm

TehRealSalt wrote: A real quick one; what about a CVar "samsarahold_cl_announcer"? I personally like using the Samsara announcer, but it's a bit weird having two different announcers.

Setting this to 0 will keep the current behavior, but 1 will set it to use clips from Samsara's announcer. If possible, you could replace 1 with an option to just make it take the sound clips from the player's currently loaded announcer file.
Hmm, I don't know how to actually use the announcer, code-wise, at all, so probably not for now.

Well, that, and I'm trying not to change the resource file (as in the 70 MB one, which has both sounds, sprites, and music) unless I really have to.

EDIT: Server for alpha 3 is up. Have fun!
Last edited by Untitled on Fri May 08, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat May 09, 2015 1:51 am

I noticed a lot of clientside crashing shortly after running out of lives. I think it has something to do with a player's corpse being removed, since i've seen that happen before and also Zan throws a "NO BODY FOR PLAYER 4" error so i'm gonna assume it has something to do with the consoleplayer not having a viewpoint. Might be from ACS removing the player's actual actor or from a DECORATE error like making the Death state end in "Stop" without having a -1 tic length frame before it.

Just a guess. Haven't even begun to look at code yet for either Samsara, Stronghold, or this.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 am

Ænima wrote: I noticed a lot of clientside crashing shortly after running out of lives. I think it has something to do with a player's corpse being removed, since i've seen that happen before and also Zan throws a "NO BODY FOR PLAYER 4" error so i'm gonna assume it has something to do with the consoleplayer not having a viewpoint. Might be from ACS removing the player's actual actor or from a DECORATE error like making the Death state end in "Stop" without having a -1 tic length frame before it.

Just a guess. Haven't even begun to look at code yet for either Samsara, Stronghold, or this.
From what I know, "P_PlayerThink: No Body for Player 1!" means that the internal engine keeping track of players has lost somebody, which is evidenced by the fact it's usually followed by somebody getting disconnected.

We had a pretty brutal run of T5M2 where P_PlayerThink disconnected everyone twice.

Anyways, I decided to compile a list of problem maps, maps of which cause problems for NO GODDAMN DISCERNABLE REASON WHATSOEVER.

These are not "Maps that don't play well". These are maps that cause problems which I cannot replicate in any way by myself. None of these happen except online, and often not unless there's high player counts:

So, without further ado:
-STR08 (Tropical Paradox, T2M2): Random amounts of ridiculous client-lag - framerates everywhere drop to unplayable levels for no reason.
-STR09 (Volcanic Installation, T2M3): Has an abnormally high chance to crash clients.
-STR16 (Frozen, T3M5): Lags the server and starts losing track of players (and thus kicking them soon thereafter) if the player count reaches double-digits.
-STR18 (Delta Bunker, T4M2): Has a client bug where all floor and ceiling textures are randomly invisible for some reason. This is followed by client having issues and possibly crashing.
-STR24 (Aurora Emitter, T5M3): Abnormally high client crash rate.
-STR28 (Errorforming, T6M2): Map lags 20-40 seconds on start-up, very often disconnects clients.
-STR54 (Fortress of Damnation, Secret Mission): Crashes every client except dekw on startup.
Last edited by Untitled on Mon May 11, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt » Mon May 11, 2015 11:56 pm

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned to you yet, buttttt...

"samsarahold_cl_turnthatdamnalarmoff" causes issues in multiplayer, causing the alarm to not sound off for some/all players despite what it is set to. Even if it's annoying, I need it... :V
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Mon May 11, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt » Wed May 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Sorry for double posting, but...
Untitled wrote:These are not "Maps that don't play well". These are maps that cause problems which I cannot replicate in any way by myself. None of these happen except online, and often not unless there's high player counts:

So, without further ado:
-STR08 (Tropical Paradox, T2M2): Random amounts of ridiculous client-lag - framerates everywhere drop to unplayable levels for no reason.
-STR09 (Volcanic Installation, T2M3): Has an abnormally high chance to crash clients.
-STR16 (Frozen, T3M5): Lags the server and starts losing track of players (and thus kicking them soon thereafter) if the player count reaches double-digits.
-STR18 (Delta Bunker, T4M2): Has a client bug where all floor and ceiling textures are randomly invisible for some reason. This is followed by client having issues and possibly crashing.
-STR28 (Errorforming, T6M2): Map lags 20-40 seconds on start-up, very often disconnects clients.
-STR54 (Fortress of Damnation, Secret Mission): Crashes every client except dekw on startup.
I came up with a possible way to debug this. Replace the maps that occupy those slots with one square room, with all of the objects like monster spawners. Then, load it up, play through it, and see if any of the waves cause any issues in multiplayer. Then, if no problems happen with the waves themselves, we can determine if it's the abundance of enemies in a level or if it's the map causing the issue.

Not sure how well this would work, but hey, I think it's worth a try.

EDIT: If it happens to be the map causing the problems, then I could attempt either remaking it but with less detail (which is what I think might be the issue causing crashes), or I could try my hand at making an entirely new level in its place.

EDIT2: Or, you could do it the other way. Use the monster set up in another, clearly working map (ex: Tier 1's maps all seem to give zero people trouble in terms of crashes), which could determine if the monster layout is causing problems. Additionally, you could try both to ensure that it's not both causing problems.
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Wed May 13, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote=Private IRC Dialog]<ExtremeBurrito> eat gas homo[/quote]

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Thu May 14, 2015 12:55 am

TehRealSalt wrote: Sorry for double posting, but...
Untitled wrote:These are not "Maps that don't play well". These are maps that cause problems which I cannot replicate in any way by myself. None of these happen except online, and often not unless there's high player counts:

So, without further ado:
I came up with a possible way to debug this. Replace the maps that occupy those slots with one square room, with all of the objects like monster spawners. Then, load it up, play through it, and see if any of the waves cause any issues in multiplayer. Then, if no problems happen with the waves themselves, we can determine if it's the abundance of enemies in a level or if it's the map causing the issue.

Not sure how well this would work, but hey, I think it's worth a try.

EDIT: If it happens to be the map causing the problems, then I could attempt either remaking it but with less detail (which is what I think might be the issue causing crashes), or I could try my hand at making an entirely new level in its place.

EDIT2: Or, you could do it the other way. Use the monster set up in another, clearly working map (ex: Tier 1's maps all seem to give zero people trouble in terms of crashes), which could determine if the monster layout is causing problems. Additionally, you could try both to ensure that it's not both causing problems.
Hmm. I'll consider it for STR08, STR16 and STR24, but I'm absolutely certain both STR18, STR28 and STR54 are map problems - STR28 and STR54 crash before the monsters start spawning, and STR18 is mostly a rendering problem.

As a warning, I can't map very well - if I could, there'd probably be a few new maps already.

I'll consider releasing a test version later with those changes, though due to me be out of town over the weekend I can't do it soon.

On another note, fixed the alarm for alpha 4, which, while I can't host it this weekend, will be released then.
Last edited by Untitled on Thu May 14, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu May 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Turn sv_MeasureOutBoundTraffic on, and then use DumpTrafficMeasure to see what scripts and actors cause the most bandwidth usage.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community