Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:54 pm

phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Metroid: Dreadnought is a work-in-progress love letter to one of the greatest video game franchises throughout the years, a partial conversion that brings Samus Aran, her weapons, and levels to the fray to wreak some havoc. Though designed primarily with the Zandronum engine, it is playable in ZDoom as well.
The aim is to combine the speed of Super Metroid with the hectic gunplay of Metroid Prime, resulting in frantic twitch-based gameplay and a massive arsenal to back it up. Fans of Metroid will be using familiar weapons such as the Boost Ball, Power Bomb, Spazer Beam, and Super Missile, executing spectacular moves in the blink of an eye--and there's a few interesting new weapons and techniques as well, just begging for someone to learn and master them.

Even for those who aren't a fan of Metroid, however, we've done our best to make a gameplay mod that is not only interesting, but does some new things. Traditional Doom gameplay is thrown almost completely out the window--sequence breaking is a proud Metroid tradition, and here you are given hundreds of extra tools in order to go through levels however method you want it to.
If a cliff looks too high up, you can jump, double-jump, and wall-jump up there. If there's a large gap between you and another section of the map, charge up your Speed Booster and leap over. If a set of bars separates you from your freedom, you can use the Morph Ball and slide between them. Or if you want to play fair and go through maps how the mapper designed, that's perfectly fine--there are no punishments for playing a levelset how it was intended to be.
Or perhaps you want something a bit more...competitive? This mod is also compatible with different gamemodes for unique PvP action--this works in Deathmatch, team Deathmatch, CTF, Last Man Standing, team LMS, and much more. Swiftly wipe out your foes with a stream of plasma and then quietly roll away to make your escape, or grab the enemy base's Metroid and deftly leap and dive through all counterattacks to capture the baby.

Whether you play in co-op and tear through endless hordes of monsters or play in deathmatch and tear through whatever friends or enemies challenge you, one thing's for sure--Samus Aran is about to have a very, very bad day.

https://github.com/TerminusEst13/ducking-avenger - The code-bank is hosted here online, if you would like to see how things are coming along.
https://github.com/TerminusEst13/ducking-avenger/wiki - All of the console variables, for adjusting your playstyle as you want.
http://www.[bad site]/download?file= ... ght-v1.pk3 - Metroid: Dreadnought .pk3 download. (16.41 megs)
http://www.[bad site]/download?file= ... els-v1.pk3 - Metroid: Dreadnought levelpack .pk3, one test PvE level and three DM levels. (9.26 megs)
Spoiler: IMPORTANT NOTES (Open)
- If you default play with Freelook off, this may not be the mod for you! This wad is NOT FRIENDLY WITH AUTOAIM.

- Wanna play in ZDoom/GZDoom but get a Bad Syntax SBARINFO error? Update to the latest SVN build, please!

- Playing in ZDoom and the morph ball movement is really jerky? Turn on cl_capfps, please, and that'll fix the issue.

- There is an F1 tipbox! If you're not sure how to do some moves or how to activate things, hit F1 and read through it.

- This was designed, tested, and built 90% with Zandronum in mind. There are some things that probably don't work right in ZDoom. Please do not even attempt ZDoom netplay with this.
Spoiler: CREDITS (Open)
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
=========
- Nintendo (For creating the Metroid series in the first place)
- id Software (For creating Doom and the idtech1 engine)
- Graf Zahl, Randy Heit (For the ZDoom/GZDoom engine)
- Torr Samaho and the Zandronum team (For picking up where Skulltag left off)
- /vr/ (For their help, guidance, and enthusiasm for both Doom and Metroid)
- ijon tichy (As usual, an incredible code guru. Responsible for:
^- : The Space Jump code (taken from Parkmore)
^- : The Long Beam code (taken from Lelweps)
^- : The Power Bomb's explosion (taken from Redeemer)
^- : The Chroma Storm
^- : Reworking the Metroid pickup system
^- : The gunship system
^- : Redoing the chasecam system
^- : Making this compatible with ZDoom
^- : A whole lot, really...

GRAPHICS:
=========
- Zrrion the Insect (Drew the base arm cannon sprite)
- Scripten (Drew the Space Pirate sprites)
- MofoOfSpades (Drew the graphics for the Power Beam's blasts)
- Rogue Entertainment (The base of the Missile's sprites, from Strife)
- Ijon Tichy (For the smoke trails for the Missile, the numbers and some punctuation of the smallfont)
- Aeons of Death (For the Missile explosion graphics)
- FixedSys/Terminal/JACKIE (Spliced and pieced together to form the Smallfont)
- SF Square Head (A modified version for the BigFont)
- Blue Shadow (Converting the BigFont to a lump file)
- Cyberkill (Spanish Enye, slade, and tilde for smallfont)
- Enterbrain (Plasma Beam/Ice Beam particles)
- Bearborg/Mike12 (Ripping and polishing the Metroid Prime HUD)
- Rundas45 (The basis of the fullscreen HUD, the health pickups)
- Eriance (Spazer Beam particles)
- Id Software (Bomb explode animation, from Doom 3)
- PillowBlaster (Space Pirate shots, Power Bomb explosion sprites)
- People Can Fly (The Flamebolter's fire effect used for the Super Missile explosion)
- Yoshio Sakamoto (His likeness used for the Icon of Sin)
- VincentPrice (Making the model the Morph Ball was based off)
- TheMisterCat (The lingering fire for the Plasma Beam Charge Combo)
- PresidentPeople (The dynamic lights for the Morph Ball)
- Revae/Mike12 (Chainsaw attack sprites)
- Xaser (Chainsaw projectile sprites)
- Sgt. Shivers (For the Arm Cannon/Chainsaw conversion sprites)
- Mr. Giga (Base sprites for the Chroma Storm pickup)
- Sgt. Shivers (Player skin)
- Scalliano (The facing-down scientists)
- Enjay (The lying-upwards scientist)
- Scuba Steve (The lying-sideways scientist)
- WildWeasel (The CONFONT, taken from Agent Diaz: Last Hours of Purity. Thanks a lot!)

SOUNDS:
=========
- Audacity (Incredible amounts of sound editing thanks to this tool)
- Hollywood Edge/AudioJungle (Numerous stock sound effects)
- The General Series 6000 (Numerous stock sound effects)
- Yoshio Sakamoto (His voice reversed and warped for the Icon of Sin)
- Waqas Hafiz (Titlescreen music)
- BouncyTEM (Editing the Zero Suit Samus sounds to be more reminiscent of Samus in-suit)
- For info from what specific sound came from where, read through sndinfo.txt!

CODE:
=========
- Repo Man (The basis of the Wave Beam projectile code)
- TheMisterCat (The lingering fire for the Plasma Beam Charge Combo)
Spoiler: CHANGELOG (Open)
From alpha-1.777b to v1:
==========================
GAMEPLAY:
- Metroid: Dreadnought is now playable in ZDoom instead of just Zandronum!
- The Morph Ball no longer allows the player to, well, morph when the flag is held.
- Speed Booster has a much longer delay after stopping before restarting.
- Plasma Combo does slightly more damage.
- Long Combo speeds up by 10% every tic and has double the explosive radius.
- Plasma and Ice Uncharged and Charged have had their radius and height slightly reduced.
- Wall jump checks no longer get hung-up on lines that block monsters.
- After Boost Balling in mid-air, it is no longer possible to boost ball again until you have hit the ground.
- The Power Bomb's damage arc has been reversed--instead of dealing most of its damage in the center and weakening as it spreads out, it deals most of its damage the farther out it spreads. Due to the sheer amount of actors clustered up in the center, this is barely a noticable damage nerf for the Power Bomb. All it means is that one-shotting Cybers is a bit more difficult, and that enemies two feet out no longer get tickled.
- The Missiles' rate of fire has been shortened by eight tics.
- The Speed Booster now replaces the Partial Invisibility sphere rather than the Radsuit.
- An optional Metroid-style system has been implemented--on picking up a major item, the world freezes, a banner pops up, and the fanfare plays. For those who want nothing to do with this, hit the Use button to break out, or type 'metroid_cl_nometroidpickups 1' in the console.
- Picking up the Space Jump will give the Morph Ball the ability to jump while morphed. This does not work for metroid_spacejump 1.
- The Doom Cannon now has its Charge Combo.
- The Ice Beam's blast radius in co-op is expanded, allowing the player to catch more enemies with one shot. The Ice Beam's blast radius in PvP is ever-so-slightly expanded.
- All Charged beams aside from Ice have had their damage dramatically increased in co-op, to make charging up more viable.
- metroid_loaded has changed from activated-whenever to activated-on-first-spawn, and has been expanded on--1 gives you all weapons, 2 gives you more missiles, 3 gives you even more missiles, 4 gives you all weapons and more missiles, 5 gives you weapons/missiles/super missiles/power bombs, 6 gives you weapons/missiles/super missiles/power bombs/charge combo/speed booster.
- Skulltag weapons now have their replacers, handled by metroid_skulltagweapons. 1 to spawn unique weapons, 2 to spawn normal weapons, 0 to not spawn anything at all.
- New weapon designed by ijon tichy has been implemented; the Chroma Storm, a rainbow herald of pure dakka!
- Being chilled now reduces your jump height as well.
- Charging up for Boost Ball now gives you a 2x weakness to everything, due to diverting energy to motion rather than shields.
- The center bolt of the Spazer is slightly more powerful than the outer bolts.
- Samus now recoils back slightly on being hit, like in Metroid.
- If a player picks up an Energy Converter without having picked up a missile tank before, one will be provided for free.
- metroid_dropgravity now controls whether items dropped from enemies have gravity or not.
- Energy Armor now only protects for 125 damage instead of 150 damage.

BUGFIXES:
- Player death no longer freezes the life bar.
- Items should no longer become invisible when metroid_dropstay is on.
- Charging up the beams while Time Freeze is active no longer causes a massive amount of frozen trails.
- Put DoomEd numbers on all relevant actors, as per mapper request.
- The Speed Booster script no longer overflows with copious respawning.
- The Ice Combo now checks for ten missiles instead of five.
- The Bomb ammo regeneration has been changed to be work via ACS rather than Decorate, which means that Spread should no longer give infinite bombs and Time Freeze should no longer stop bombs.
- MaxArmorBonus and MaxHealthBonus now no longer appear.
- Floatbob removed from items to keep them from floating into space.
- Cacodemon and Lost Soul no longer momentarily turn into a zombieman on freeze.
- Morph Ball can no longer be triggered on death to leave a dummy Samus.
- Plasma combo can no longer activate doors or lines, and can no longer teleport.
- Morph Ball bombs can no longer teleport.
- Samus' freeze sprite is no longer invisible.
- Frozen Samus is no longer breakable via ice explosions.
- Morph Ball is now freezable.
- Energy armor is no longer constantly pickuppable as long as your bar is entirely blue.
- The morph ball should no longer have troubles with the player's translation.
- In rare instances, people were starting the game with infinite Power Bombs from the get-go. This has been fixed.

POLISH:
- Implemented changelog. Neat.
- GLDefs! Fuckin' everywhere! Thanks to PresidentPeople for help.
- 15/30/100 Energy now have different pickup sprites.
- ACLO E sprite has been replaced with NOPE A.
- Rephrased a few lines in the difficulty settings for more clarification.
- By modder request, the HUD is now based upon whether or not you have PowerBeamAcquired in your inventory.
- Dying now properly lowers your arm cannon on death.
- Slightly fewer smoke puffs on the Doom Cannon.
- The Chasecam system has been entirely redone from the ground up to be ACS-based rather than consolecommand based, which not only allows it to be used in ZDoom but also fixes the 'exit level while morphed' glitch.
- The Lost Frame's pain frame is now BRIGHT.
- The main menu now has graphical replacements.
- Morph Ball bombs and Power Bombs exploding now alert enemies.
- The beam charge spawns have been changed from an A_FireCustomMissile based system to an A_SpawnItemEx system, which makes them follow the player a lot more closely and doesn't lag behind.
- The visual intensity of the speed booster is slightly reduced.
- ZDoom play has a menu in Options for all the cvars.
- Speed Booster now has a non-SNES-style sound, thanks to Repo Man.
- The Charge Combo now has an indicator on the HUD, when it's in the player's inventory.
- Thanks to BouncyTEM, Samus' sounds have been edited to be less reminiscent of Zero Suit Samus and more reminiscent of Prime in-suit Samus.
- The Morph Ball now has its own set of taunt, usefail, and pain sounds.
- Space Pirates no longer use their freeze sprite for their pain sprite.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Captain Kupo

RE: Metroid: Dreadnought

Post by Captain Kupo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Good to see it's finally getting a public release!
Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars,
cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 pm

BTW: This isn't an April Fool's joke.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

RUNSABER
New User

Post by RUNSABER » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:50 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: Image

This is inspired by both Prime and Super, aiming to combine the speed and weapons of Super Metroid with the hectic gunplay of Metroid Prime. It's still very early on in development, but the alpha testers liked it! So, yay!

At the moment, the core system is about 75% done, I mainly just have to do a few more graphical assets and then everything can be expanded from there. Some of the artistic assets (such as weapon pickups) are placeholders and will be replaced some time in the future.
Still, Samus herself is currently completely playable and can go through mapsets in both singleplayer or multiplayer without any issues.

Please pardon the absolutely terrible test map, I'm not a very good mapper.
This project is amazing! I even got inspired to try making a Metroid map for it, known as Combat Hall! I hope to create more Metroid-esque & original maps in time!

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

I noticed some time ago that this lacked a KEYCONF lump for the extra commands, so I saved some trouble and wrote one. :D
Spoiler: Copy+paste or do whatever with it. (Open)

Code: Select all

//Dreadnought Effects Toggle

alias DEffectsON "metroid_cl_noeffects 0 ; echo \\\\ccEffects : \\\\cnActive ; alias DEffects DEffectsOFF"
alias DEffectsOFF "metroid_cl_noeffects 1 ; echo \\\\ccEffects : \\\\cuInactive ; alias DEffects DEffectsON"
alias DEffects "DEffectsOFF"

//Dreadnought Health Siren Toggle

alias DSirenON "metroid_cl_nosiren 0 ; echo \\\\ccHealth Warning : \\\\cnActive ; alias DSiren DSirenOFF"
alias DSirenOFF "metroid_cl_nosiren 1 ; echo \\\\ccHealth Warning : \\\\cuInactive ; alias DSiren DSirenON"
alias DSiren "DSirenOFF"

//Dreadnought Morph Ball Camera Toggle

alias DMCameraON "metroid_cl_morphcamera 1 ; echo \\\\ccMorph Ball Camera : \\\\cnActive ; alias DMCamera DMCameraOFF"
alias DMCameraOFF "metroid_cl_morphcamera 0 ; echo \\\\ccMorph Ball Camera : \\\\cuInactive ; alias DMCamera DMCameraON"
alias DMCamera "DMCameraOFF"

//Dreadnought Doom Health Toggle

alias DDHealthON "metroid_cl_doomhealth 1 ; echo \\\\ccDoom Health : \\\\cnActive ; alias DDHealth DDHealthOFF"
alias DDHealthOFF "metroid_cl_doomhealth 0 ; echo \\\\ccDoom Health : \\\\cuInactive ; alias DDHealth DDHealthON"
alias DDHealth "DDHealthOFF"

addkeysection "Dreadnought Toggles" DToggles
           addmenukey "Effects" DEffects
           addmenukey "Health Warning" DSiren
           addmenukey "Morph Ball Chasecam" DMCamera
           addmenukey "Doom Health" DDHealth                  

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

RUNSABER
New User

Post by RUNSABER » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks, Slim! That code there is really helpful, there were some bugginess involved with the mod; And here are some screenshots of Combat Hall:
Spoiler: Combat Hall (Metroid Prime Hunters) (Open)

Spottswoode
Forum Regular

Post by Spottswoode » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Dammit, TerminusEst. There goes the rest of my spare time.

It should be pretty easy to clone the original metroid maps if you've got all the enemy sprites.
Dirge
(Killed, for now)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Captain Kupo

Post by Captain Kupo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:22 pm

so judging by the fact that they arent shown in the video, im guessing you still have yet to finish the 3rd person models for samus. eager to see them when you do though! and an idea for it depending on how difficult it is to edit the sprites: different skins for samus based on other suits from the games?
Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars,
cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

TankDempsey
Forum Regular

Post by TankDempsey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:33 pm

So it IS gonna have maps :D ((I commented as SuperMario123311 on youtube btw))

Nice to see this, is it gonna be a SP/COOP type game or DM?
Either way if you are accepting map submissions I'd like to give it a go ((I had the idea for a map based on tourian))
Find me online in-game as Mario

Avi

Post by Avi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Glad to see this is finally out, can't wait to throw some tests at it to see what happens!
<TerminusEst13><GMOTA_Guy> enemies that go invulnerable are the worst things in the history of the universe
<TerminusEst13>:D

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Ohhhh YES! I been waiting for a Metroid MOD for Doom! I look forward to new releases!

Guardsoul
Forum Regular

Post by Guardsoul » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 pm

If you provide me the Metroid textures I wouldnt mind making a couple of maps for this when I finish my GvH mappack.
I dont care about how bad your maps are. Everything can be improved.
Banned for cheating at DoomBuilder.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Guardsoul wrote: If you provide me the Metroid textures I wouldnt mind making a couple of maps for this when I finish my GvH mappack.
TankDempsey wrote: Nice to see this, is it gonna be a SP/COOP type game or DM?
Either way if you are accepting map submissions I'd like to give it a go ((I had the idea for a map based on tourian))
DM to start with, maybe SP/Coop stuff later on.
And I would definitely be down with map submissions. If you can pop on #samsara, Runsaber and I can toss all our textures over at you.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

iSpooks

Post by iSpooks » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:11 am

It's probably a bit early for this but have some Compatibility patches for Metrood:

Hard Doom (v6.32 and up): https://copy.com/0BonSHmWB396xVlA
Alpha/Delta Invasion: https://copy.com/El73Iag7UsArGgwy

Try not to use Idfa/give all/etc with the Hard Doom one, or else you'll break stuff.
Last edited by iSpooks on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Is there a README I can look at? There are things I am finding that I do not know how to use. i.e. power bombs and beam converter.
Last edited by Valherran on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Valherran wrote: Is there a README I can look at? There are things I am finding that I do not know how to use. i.e. power bombs and beam converter.
Use power bombs by holding fire while morphed, and the beam converter, use missiles while charging a beam.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Suicide Slim wrote:
Valherran wrote: Is there a README I can look at? There are things I am finding that I do not know how to use. i.e. power bombs and beam converter.
Use power bombs by holding fire while morphed, and the beam converter, use missiles while charging a beam.
I didn't realize the morph ball could be found til now.
"Missile Converter" gotcha. lol

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Sorry. Lots of people have been having questions about how everything works, so I'll be including an F1 tipbox next update.

Condor

Post by Condor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Awesome idea for a mod dude! If you're going to start off with it being DM, I'd suggest any of the maps from the nintendo handheld Metroid Prime Hunters. Hell, if the weapons from that game could be created, I can see a very popular server in the near future. :D

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:16 pm

If you're going to bring in DM maps from Metroid, might as well bring in MP2: Echoes' maps too.