Strife Deathmatch

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Captain Toenail

Strife Deathmatch

Post by Captain Toenail » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Strife is an often overlooked game, and since ZDoom-family ports give Strife multiplayer functionality I thought it would be an amusing idea to create a Strife deathmatch project.

The project at the moment is currently still work-in-progress, plan is to have a map list of around 8 maps and tightly balanced gameplay tweaks for deathmatch at the end.

Current Features;

- 2 playable maps
- Interactive map features - forcefields, jump pads, 3D floors etc.
- Weapon tweaks
- Item tweaks (inventory system has been removed for now, items auto-activate)
- Player tweaks (also play as a Rebel or Acolyte)

Missing Features/Known Bugs;

- Sigil is unavailable at the moment (not 100% sure what I'm doing with this weapon yet, it may need complete rebuild)
- Weapon animations on some weapons with altfires may be slightly broken
- Gameplay may still be an unbalanced mess - this is why I'm looking for testers!

To play the game in single player mode, load map SDM01 from the console/your frontend. You will need to set deathmatch to true using the console, and use the addbot command to add some bots. You may also need to configure dmflags to enable things like item respawn, weapon stay etc.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, spotted bugs, want to submit a map etc. please don;t hesitate to contact me. :)

Screenshots:
SDM01 - Revolt
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... fd891d.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... 8a3ec4.png
SDM02 - Sacrifice
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... a1f260.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... f4f069.png

Download:
Alpha 5 (see last post for details)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0d4x7 ... eDM_A5.zip
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Strife Deathmatch

Post by Combinebobnt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Yes someone finally fixed the nuclear bomb death fire grenades. Just balancing the weapons in the first place will make strife dm much more better.

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:06 am

Those screenshots look really nice. I've never played much strife, just the shareware version. Looks like I have a new reason to get it!

Dynamo

Post by Dynamo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 am

Captain! It's good to have you back. Will be sure to try out this mapset once I get an internet that can load a webpage faster than 2 minutes :)

Springy
Forum Regular

Post by Springy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Good to see a Strife DM set that might actually get finished (unlike my duel set I had started in December) although I never did any weapon balancing so it's good to see that someone has taken the time to make a decent attempt at making a DM set for Strife. From what I have played of your DM levels I can say that I am looking forward to it. Also, this is the second Strife project to more than likely get a release before my hub that I started in 2012. EDIT: Corrected some spelling mistakes as this phone is completely useless to use.
Last edited by Springy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote=Zero X Diamond ]Careful, you don't want to push that Pikachu dude to action. Who knows what unspeakable things lie in store for you? Maybe he'll... send you another nasty tweet![/quote]
[quote=Sonter_Man]Autism runs amok on zandaemon[/quote]

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:53 am

Hey, a Strife Deathmatch project! I've always wanted to see such a thing come to fruition but never managed to get the motivation or time to make a solid set of maps.

That being said, I can contribute the set of old maps from years ago that were being made for the Imperial Dawn strife deathmatch project. You can get the wad file here. It contains like 5 maps, some of which are clearly unfinished. But the maps do have a classic feel to them. I only made one of the maps and started on a second one, the others were made by other people of the community who I believe are gone now. As such, you have full permissions to use these maps if as you see fit in your project, just make it happen cuz I've always wanted to see this. :)

Also, on the note of Strife DM, there are some things about balance I wanted to bring up:
  • Strife does not have any sort of close-range burst damage weapon (i.e. a shotgun). One was added for Imperial Dawn (and the code and resources can be found in the linked wad file), but perhaps a more original solution (and sprites) would be better.
  • A lot of the weapons are totally broken in DM. Poison Bolts instantly kill any player; either they should be rebalanced in some way or their ammo capacities/pickups should be carefully managed and changed. Conversely, electric bolts are worthless and deal minimal damage and are easy to avoid. I balanced this a bit in Imperial Dawn by greatly raising their velocity and upping the damage a little. You might find other ways to make them more viable.
  • WP Grenades are totally overpowered. But I see you have likely already addressed this problem.
  • The Flamethrower is pretty worthless in it's current state. Slow moving, short range projectiles that don't do nearly enough damage for the kind of danger you have to put yourself in. I suggest trying to change it in some way. In fact, I actually have some neat Flamethrower code I could give you if you want to use it.
  • The Minimissile Launcher could use some touching up because it's AoE and overall damage isn't very high and it's a slow projectile. I changed this in ImpDawn by increasing it's explosive radius and upping the speed slightly iirc.
  • The Sigil, if you plan to include this, is completely broken. Some versions of the Sigil totally destroy, while others have almost no effect (particularly Sigil 1 lightning storm). Some change ups or even completely reinventing of the weapon would be wise if you plan to have this as part of the Strife DM weaponset.
  • The game lacks any form of real powerups. Implementing a few would give you some nice options for map design.
  • On that note, some inventory items don't work right--from what I remember, the Teleport Beacon soldiers were quite broken and didn't work well in DM. Perhaps replace it with some other functionality?
  • Strife DM can benefit considerably with small changeups to existing items. For example, you could make Degnin Ore become some kind of hand-thrown grenade or something.
  • These are simply suggestions; take them with a grain of salt if you will.
[EDIT] mind you, I hadn't read your whole first post when posting this. :redface: So some advice given here is simply things you already know.
Last edited by Theshooter7 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Ok I am definitely going to need to check out these maps :surprised: , and thanks for the balance tips I can see a few of these being implemented for sure. :smile:

Edit: I checked out the maps and they seem pretty cool. Some are quite cramped in places I'll need to make changes - you don't have the names of the original authors?

Regarding a shotgun, I am sort of on the fence about that, as I see the Mauler being used as a SSG and potentially being nerfed to bring it in line with the standard Doom shotgun, not really sure at the moment. I'll need to experiment a bit to get something that feels right.
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:58 pm

Just wanted to mention,

JustinC made shotgun sprites for Strife, WildWeasel put them in a mod called "Strife Needs a God Damned Mod"
Last edited by jwaffe on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 am

Captain Toenail wrote: Ok I am definitely going to need to check out these maps :surprised: , and thanks for the balance tips I can see a few of these being implemented for sure. :smile:

Edit: I checked out the maps and they seem pretty cool. Some are quite cramped in places I'll need to make changes - you don't have the names of the original authors?
Indeed some of the maps are quite small. The mod was in its infancy so you could probably expect cramped maps considering they were the early submissions. As for the map authors, I'm afraid I don't have any documentation at all. :( The thread was on the SkullTag forums back in the day and is thus lost to time. I think the only author I can recall might have been Tib, but I don't remember which map or if I'm even sure he made one of the maps. If one of the maps was his, it was likely "New Front Base" (while mine was Hydro Plant and Caughtyard [unfinished]).

Considering how old the file is though (2009 was the last time the wad file was modified) I think it's best to consider these 'public domain' at this point so don't worry too much about it.
Captain Toenail wrote:Regarding a shotgun, I am sort of on the fence about that, as I see the Mauler being used as a SSG and potentially being nerfed to bring it in line with the standard Doom shotgun, not really sure at the moment. I'll need to experiment a bit to get something that feels right.
This is true and was something I had considered as well except the mauler has 2 firemodes. But it's up to you to decide anyway. :)

Although that brings up another idea; possibly merging weapons with multiple 'fire modes' together to take advantage of alt-fire? So instead of having to swap between 2 different grenade launcher weapons to shoot different grenades, one could just alt-fire the same weapon? This could also bring in some neat balance ideas too (like a delay before the WP grenades would fire from the grenade launcher).
Last edited by Theshooter7 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zergeant
New User

Post by Zergeant » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm

This could be exciting and bring Strife into the scene. I volunteer for mapping/testing :smile:
Last edited by Zergeant on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Theshooter7 - thanks for the suggestions, I have already merged the weapons with altfire.

Zergeant - cool, glad to hear :)

Ok, here's release 2. It should be much more playable now.

2 more maps added and numerous gameplay tweaks.

Code: Select all

Changelog:

Maps

Added and modified two new maps from Imperial Dawn - SDM03 & SDM04 (Hydro Plant & Hydro Processing)
SDM01 - changed item placement
SDM01 - reduced forcefield time limit
SDM02 - changed item placement

Weapons

Weapon priority modified
Crossbow - electric and poison bolts removed. Now fires 'standard' bolts
Mauler - self-damage removed
Mauler - now has correct recoil value
Grenade Lauuncher - HEGrenade damage halved
Flamethrower - Projectile range increased
Flamethrower - +NOAUTOAIM flag added
MiniMissileLauncer - missiles have larger damage and splash area

Misc

New Strife bots defined
CMPGNINF lump added - all maps now have predefined DM settings for offline play
TEAMINFO implemented - play as The Front or The Order in team gamemodes
Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ueb99ci87mtb1o2
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:14 pm

I have some suggestions;

Maybe make 3 classes per team, like for The Front, There can be The support Rebel, (looks like the one from the beacon) he's slower but he starts with more support oriented weapons.
The second class can be the all around Soldier, (the one the mod already has) He retains all he has at the moment. and the Rebel Officer (which looks like Macil, He's faster and starts with an Assault gun, but he's more fragile than the others. (1.4x more damage maybe?)

The Order can have The Reaver (Support Rebel equivelent), The Acolyte (Soldier equivelent), and the Templar, (Officer equivelent).

And give the Assault gun a Full Auto mode where it functions like a heavy machine gun, fast and inaccurate, but shaky with lots of recoil.

Now these sound possibly stupid, but hey, I like the idea of Strife Deathmatch so I dropped my two cents in. Works and looks great so far.
Hope this gets big when it's done. Maybe this will inspire other Strife mods...

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

If that was implemented, it would be as an addon mod rather than part of the main package, as it is kind of outside the scope of the project. Certainly I have plans for adding more player classes such as the Reaver, Macil etc. though only as aesthetic reskins of the main player class (since skins aren't supported properly)
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:22 am

I thought the gvh clones were supposed to die in 2012. Just make it strife strife with non retarded weapon balancing and that should be fine. (classes for skins is ok)
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:54 am

Combinebobnt wrote: I thought the gvh clones were supposed to die in 2012.
So a thought of mixing it up a bit makes it a GVH Clone?
Combinebobnt wrote: Just make it strife strife with non retarded weapon balancing and that should be fine. (classes for skins is ok)
Then it'd go stale real quick, why not try things with Strife that Doom has had so many mods made for? Also, the weapon balancing is needed because Strife has weak and strong ones all mixed about. And classes for skins defeats the purpose of classes.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:07 am

Suicide Slim wrote:
Combinebobnt wrote: I thought the gvh clones were supposed to die in 2012.
So a thought of mixing it up a bit makes it a GVH Clone?
Combinebobnt wrote: Just make it strife strife with non retarded weapon balancing and that should be fine. (classes for skins is ok)
Then it'd go stale real quick, why not try things with Strife that Doom has had so many mods made for? Also, the weapon balancing is needed because Strife has weak and strong ones all mixed about. And classes for skins defeats the purpose of classes.
How'd it get stale real quick? Its strife DM, I don't think he wants class wars DM, just core strife with some tweaks, balances and some custom maps. I think its fine, the skin classes idk but then again I rarely go to skin options for 1 specific wad. By gvh era he means 9 different classes that require an obscene amount of balancing against each other, and can cause more harm than good to a simple wad.
Last edited by Slyfox on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:29 am

It'd get boring from just having vanilla strife weapons on some new maps, and I added the classes idea because I thought it'd help this because if it didn't have any extra besides some weapon fixes and maps then it'd have less variety, and that's what I like in games/mods. "Since it was getting weapon balances and alt-fires, why not a couple classes for each team?" Didn't sound like a bad idea at the time to me because I thought it needed a little something. But if it's frowned upon then I regret opening my mouth about it.
Last edited by Slim on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:47 am

What slyfox said and http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=458 is why adding classes for skins is necessary in strife btw.
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 am

I threw up a server on Best Ever running your latest release entitled: Strife DeathMatch Testing.

Hopefully this will help with balancing and fine tuning that you are doing. If the settings are incorrect let me know and I'll change them.

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 am

Nice, thanks. :smile:

I'll probably be on later about 8pm GMT onwards if anyone wants a game.

I've already noticed from joining the server briefly that the forcefield in SDM01 seems to desync in a bad way - not sure what to do about that.