All Out War 2.2 - r050518 Released

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Re: All Out War 2.2 - Beta

Post by r4z0r » Mon May 15, 2017 3:19 am

jdagenet wrote:Pushed out Beta 11, fixed the console flooding when using repair turrets and repair turrets actually work now. Fixed a few issues with some maps as well.
As far as bugs go, there's none that really lurk. I've played a few games so far and I haven't seen any major ones come about so I think this is almost ready for it's first stable release.

I think the main area of concern at the moment is mechs (specifically the Rhino) and the new Minigunner class.
I've gotten a few ideas on what to with the Rhino like making it a cheap anti-mech and giving it some chemical sprayers (I actually really like that idea), but of course it's still up for discussion.

The main culprit for the Minigunner I believe is that Bullet Resistance. I've seen a few people just buy the class only to sell the Gatling Gun and use some other weapon because the majority of the weapons people use are bullet-based. I think removing the resistance armor and testing out the actual Gatling Gun is the ultimate test to decide whether it's OP or not.
hey you forgot to put the addition of the soulsphere crate in the "crate changes" section

also yes the rhino is a bit of a silly mech its treading on areas the madcat already has(the losing tula area) so i think maybe converting it to a medium mech(no more clones of the wolverine) with a focus on anti-mech sounds like a fantastic idea(chem sprayer effectiveness vs mech??? didnt know)

by the way the +1 armor grade upgrade in spawn is now totally useless thanks to your nerf why would anyone buy it now stupid

Riclo

Post by Riclo » Mon May 15, 2017 5:25 am

I'm working on a new AOW map based off of Doom 2's map17 that you all should expect to see in a week or so. Here's some screenshots:

[spoiler]Tib field for red base

Mid-field

Just outside of blue base
Image[/spoiler]

It's a non-mech map

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Riclo wrote:I'm working on a new AOW map based off of Doom 2's map17 that you all should expect to see in a week or so. Here's some screenshots:

[spoiler]Tib field for red base

Mid-field

Just outside of blue base
Image[/spoiler]

It's a non-mech map
Please be creative and don't make the same mistake all the other (shitty) non-mech maps do. All of them have a shitty ass choke point where you play tdm for the whole game. Make other pathways that come through the sides so teams are constantly moving and checking the bases. Even small CTF maps have more pathways to the base than something garbage like 'immortal kombat'.

Bob's picture is extremely related:

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Cool stuff, nice to see someone actually picked it up and did something with it

I might drop by eventually to see how this is going. But looks like you're doing a great job!

k4r4t3k4n4k4s

Post by k4r4t3k4n4k4s » Mon May 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote: garbage like 'immortal kombat'.
Well, thank you for the feeback my dear sir. That map is especially designed for people who like to play AOW TDM all day and an alternative to the overplayed AOW08 which had already bored me to death. You know those people are a large part of the user base for this mod. Hope you like my other maps better.

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Mon May 15, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm practically dead in the AOW scene but that map looks a little interesting Riclo!

madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

Post by madcat » Mon May 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Some time ago I made these turret sprites for the Theta project, which has been cancelled. So if the 2.2 would like to use them, feel free to do so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rozwr6n7fup5a ... .rar?raw=1

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Mon May 15, 2017 6:01 pm

madcat wrote:Some time ago I made these turret sprites for the Theta project, which has been cancelled. So if the 2.2 would like to use them, feel free to do so.

Hey neato, I'll definitely use these. One of the issues brought up before is how most of the turrets look the same so yeah these will work. Thanks!

I actually have some new turrets in the pipeline that I'll need new sprites for, would you be interested in whipping together some more?
<Dynamo_>uh
<Dynamo_>did you just take the thread away
<FusedQyou>Dunno
<FusedQyou>ask the thread

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Mon May 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Immortal Kombat would be better if it started off in SD since everyone leaves and comes back for SD anyways. A good TDM map for 15 minutes at least before you get bored or sleepy from the lack of anything productive happening.

And I do agree that people need to pull together to make decent maps or creative maps, no more giant Zdoomwars maps unless you wanna fall asleep faster than you would in Immortal Kombat. Otherwise I look forward to what the Rhino may become (hopefully more op than the op Jug)

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm

jdagenet wrote:
madcat wrote:Some time ago I made these turret sprites for the Theta project, which has been cancelled. So if the 2.2 would like to use them, feel free to do so.

Hey neato, I'll definitely use these. One of the issues brought up before is how most of the turrets look the same so yeah these will work. Thanks!

I actually have some new turrets in the pipeline that I'll need new sprites for, would you be interested in whipping together some more?
Definitely. Just tell me how should the turrets look like. Btw, I have made a special turret that looks for a certain item (or armor) in its target inventory.
If the target does not have this item(or armor), the turret looks for other target. If the turret does not find any target with the item(or armor) it just chooses a target at random. This way it would be possible to make a chem turret that would shoot at fire-armored players first, or chem-armored players last (or anything else like that) So if you are interested in this...

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

k4r4t3k4n4k4s wrote:
Ru5tK1ng wrote: garbage like 'immortal kombat'.
Well, thank you for the feeback my dear sir. That map is especially designed for people who like to play AOW TDM all day and an alternative to the overplayed AOW08 which had already bored me to death.
You did a good job at doing the poor man's tdm, I'll agree you succeeded in what you sought out to accomplish. Regardless, riclo would be better off doing more than a simple z mid with a choke point.
You know those people are a large part of the user base for this mod. Hope you like my other maps better.
I suppose I would rather have those run and no brain gun types instead of the users who cry and call hacks when they get fragged and lose.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Tue May 16, 2017 3:33 am

nice another map where absolutely nothing happens for 45 minutes? might as well just bang our heads against a brick wall, same level of entertainment

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue May 16, 2017 5:00 am

I have started working on the second turret you asked for and I have few ideas, so could you tell me which one you think is the best so I could continue that way?
Here it is:

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Tue May 16, 2017 5:48 am

madcat wrote:I have started working on the second turret you asked for and I have few ideas, so could you tell me which one you think is the best so I could continue that way?
Here it is:
The barrels look really bad tbh.

Also, side idea. What if maps like immortal kombat just started off as SD a lot sooner? I mean people love to TDM on it so why not just fully embrace it and make SD start 10 mins in or something? That way its not as grindy and people can just have fun.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am

Bring back homing missile turrets so we can finaly get a base with a proper defense.

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am

madcat wrote:I have started working on the second turret you asked for and I have few ideas, so could you tell me which one you think is the best so I could continue that way?
Here it is:
Yeah the barrels seem out of place even though I know what it's supposed to be.
I really liked the flame turret so how about this: make the two canisters on the flame turret a red color or something to signify fire and I'll use those. For the chemical, remove one of the green canisters on the flame turret and recolor the firing animation to green. Remove the flame as well. (Also in one of the flame turret side sprites theres a lot of excess space underneath the sprite so in game the sprite flickers around, could you remove that and resend me the entire rotation after you're finished?)
Catastrophe wrote:Also, side idea. What if maps like immortal kombat just started off as SD a lot sooner? I mean people love to TDM on it so why not just fully embrace it and make SD start 10 mins in or something? That way its not as grindy and people can just have fun.
That's an idea commonly thrown out in TS.
Really, TDM maps don't have to last the entire 45 minutes and beyond as is. People who complain that it's a grind just aren't good at playing full time offensive. Just like any other map, good stealths and timecops can take down buildings pretty quickly, especially if the other team is brain dead.
<Dynamo_>uh
<Dynamo_>did you just take the thread away
<FusedQyou>Dunno
<FusedQyou>ask the thread

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Tue May 16, 2017 1:38 pm

fr blood wrote:Bring back homing missile turrets so we can finaly get a base with a proper defense.
Implying it's not already easy to defend a base.
jdagenet wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:Also, side idea. What if maps like immortal kombat just started off as SD a lot sooner? I mean people love to TDM on it so why not just fully embrace it and make SD start 10 mins in or something? That way its not as grindy and people can just have fun.
That's an idea commonly thrown out in TS.
Really, TDM maps don't have to last the entire 45 minutes and beyond as is. People who complain that it's a grind just aren't good at playing full time offensive. Just like any other map, good stealths and timecops can take down buildings pretty quickly, especially if the other team is brain dead.
Except 95% of the matches end up going through the pointless 45 minute grind even with 'stacked' teams. A good util easily locks down stealth and rngcop is lol. Never get warped to where you need to be when you need to be. Regardless, the core of the problem with the grindfests are that the map designs are shit, but hey, it's 45 minutes to go do something else.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue May 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Sorry about the excess place underneath the flame turret - I forgot to Auto Crop it. Here is the fixed version. As for the Chem turret, I would rather use the solution you suggested as the last resort. Until I run out of inspiration I would like to try several more ideas. Usually I dont like re-editing something I already made only because something upcoming is supposed to look similar. (But I will do if I have to).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiu4as127l83h ... .wad?raw=1

k4r4t3k4n4k4s

Post by k4r4t3k4n4k4s » Tue May 16, 2017 4:01 pm

I'd agree on lowering the SD timer. I think 30 min before SD could do as a start.

I guess when custom ACS scripts are now working again its fully possible to do a custom ACS in the map and set SD timer, but I don't think thats the way to go.

Another possibility is to have lower SD timer when War factory (mct item) is missing. Cause on infantry only maps you don't need all that time to build up resources that you'd normally probably use for mechs.

And when I think about it the timer to SD should always be visible :)

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue May 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Here is another try of mine:

Does it look better than the previous ones?