Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
President People
Forum Regular

RE: Metroid: Dreadnought

Post by President People » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Tux wrote: term when are you renaming this to Metroid: Bread dough
TerminusEst13's Signature wrote:Project Bread - On the rise...
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:42 pm

term was too slow on this so I guess I'm gonna have to post the video :(

pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: term was too slow on this so I guess I'm gonna have to post the video :(

phpBB [video]
Hyper Beam HAIL YEA! Reminds me of the old Super Metroid Murder Beam Glitch. Ahhh those were the days...

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Post by XutaWoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: term was too slow on this so I guess I'm gonna have to post the video :(

phpBB [video]
Not enough memory corruption 0/0.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 am

That should be a power-up if anything. lol

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 am

So I found a nice little surprise going through the Wolfenstein levels. Can't wait to see what other enemies you throw into the game to replace the current Doom monsters. lol

On a side note, I do think you should include the suit upgrades, mainly the Varia Suit; there are no power-ups currently present to withstand hazardous environments. You can leave out the damage reduction part if you want, but a rad-suit substitute is needed, whether it be permanent or temporary. (temporary as in you grab Varia charges to enable the ability to withstand hazards for 30 seconds, similar to how Project MSX works with it's items).

I would suggest moving all of the suit modules to spawn in place of the Chainsaw and/or BFG9000, that will allow the Varia Suit charges to spawn where it needs to be.

Also I really hope you reconsider moving the missiles to a hotkey toggle instead of RMB; charging the beams currently is too much of a chore to even bother using it most of the time. :-/

Question, is the last labeled difficulty the same as the hidden one but without the monster respawn?
Last edited by Valherran on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

iSpooks

Post by iSpooks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:19 am

Valherran wrote:Also I really hope you reconsider moving the missiles to a hotkey toggle instead of RMB; charging the beams currently is too much of a chore to even bother using it most of the time. :-/
No offense, but if you find holding the button for a few seconds to be a chore, then this mod is not for you.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:37 am

iSpooks wrote:
Valherran wrote:Also I really hope you reconsider moving the missiles to a hotkey toggle instead of RMB; charging the beams currently is too much of a chore to even bother using it most of the time. :-/
No offense, but if you find holding the button for a few seconds to be a chore, then this mod is not for you.
Taking an actual Metroid mechanic away? Nope. Changing missiles to another hotkey toggle? Nope. I mean, what would be on RMB then? Something with less use no doubt.
Last edited by Slim on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 am

Suicide Slim wrote:
iSpooks wrote:
Taking an actual Metroid mechanic away? Nope. Changing missiles to another hotkey toggle? Nope. I mean, what would be on RMB then? Something with less use no doubt.
The RMB would be for the beam charge, and the LMB would be for standard firing. It would remove any break of your ROF from your primary, and your charge will not need to fire a shot off first before charging, which makes it's current charge time 5 seconds. This suggestion doesn't remove any Metroid mechanic. In Super Metroid, you select the missiles to fire and it takes priority of your beams til you unselect it. In Metroid Prime you tap X to fire them and hit A to switch back to beams. So, I fail to see how having more proper control of your arsenal is a problem?
Last edited by Valherran on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 am

Suicide Slim wrote:I mean, what would be on RMB then? Something with less use no doubt.
Probably the toggle key itself. I'd assume Power Bombs and Speed Booster would be selected from it as well, a la Super Metroid.

edit: welp you know what they say about assume
Last edited by President People on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

iSpooks

Post by iSpooks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:56 am

Valherran wrote:I fail to see how having more proper control of your arsenal is a problem?
The problem is... the player has plenty of control with the way the Arsenal is currently set up. I'm still gonna think that this mod isn't for you, if you think there's a problem with how things are set up.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 am

Valherran wrote: So I found a nice little surprise going through the Wolfenstein levels. Can't wait to see what other enemies you throw into the game to replace the current Doom monsters. lol
Thank you. I've already got a full roster of replacements written up, now I just need sprite and code them.
Valherran wrote: On a side note, I do think you should include the suit upgrades, mainly the Varia Suit; there are no power-ups currently present to withstand hazardous environments. You can leave out the damage reduction part if you want, but a rad-suit substitute is needed, whether it be permanent or temporary.
I would suggest moving all of the suit modules to spawn in place of the Chainsaw and/or BFG9000, that will allow the Varia Suit charges to spawn where it needs to be.
Both the Chainsaw and the BFG already have replacements, and having a suit spawn in their place wouldn't be terribly good. That being said, a lot of people have been requesting the suits, and at the moment you're right in that there's no way to completely survive poisonous areas.

I'll tweak with some of the other unreplaced items at the moment and see if I can move the Speed Booster somewhere else, thank you.
If charging the beams is too much of a chore to be worth it, then I think the obvious answer is rather to buff the damage of the charged beams than to recode all of the weapons to work on an alt-fire toggle.
Occam's Razor, yo. :P
Valherran wrote:Question, is the last labeled difficulty the same as the hidden one but without the monster respawn?
Nope. The hidden difficulty holds some extra-nasty surprises as well, such as even more damage for the player and hyper-aggressive monsters on top of -Fast.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 pm

The guy who was complaining does raise a point - having to fire off one shot to charge a beam is REALLY annoying, as it means you can't charge a beam without waking things up.

Most of the charged beams, while nice, are too slow in firing and damage to actually be of any practicality.
Charged Power Beam? Rather fire 25 power beam shots, which would do more damage total and fire off faster (depending on click speed).
Charged Spazer? Yeah, bit long to fire for the charge.
Charged Plasma? Basically only good in DM, because it oneshots players. Useless in coop.
Charged Wave? Alright, got me there, the charged wave beam is actually pretty good (but even in comparison, I usually use rapid-fire)
Charged Ice? ehhhhhhhhh...
Charged Long? Again, MAYBE in DM.
Long beam in general? Long range is nice, but for a Slot 6 weapon, it should have just a bit more actual killing power. Maybe make it pierce Multiple Targets railgun style?
Charge Combo? I'll admit I liked these things, because EXPLOSIONS plus crazy-powerful weapons are allowed because BFG Slot.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Untitled wrote: The guy who was complaining does raise a point - having to fire off one shot to charge a beam is REALLY annoying, as it means you can't charge a beam without waking things up.

Most of the charged beams, while nice, are too slow in firing and damage to actually be of any practicality.
Charged Power Beam? Rather fire 25 power beam shots, which would do more damage total and fire off faster (depending on click speed).
Charged Spazer? Yeah, bit long to fire for the charge.
Charged Plasma? Basically only good in DM, because it oneshots players. Useless in coop.
Charged Wave? Alright, got me there, the charged wave beam is actually pretty good (but even in comparison, I usually use rapid-fire)
Charged Ice? ehhhhhhhhh...
Charged Long? Again, MAYBE in DM.
Long beam in general? Long range is nice, but for a Slot 6 weapon, it should have just a bit more actual killing power. Maybe make it pierce Multiple Targets railgun style?
Charge Combo? I'll admit I liked these things, because EXPLOSIONS plus crazy-powerful weapons are allowed because BFG Slot.
Having to fire off the beam to charge was how it was in Metroid, so making it into a Doom mod allows to break the consistancy? Also all the other beams could charge, removing that again breaks anyone whose played a Metroid game's flow, since having to shoot to charge has been that way ever since there WAS a Charge beam. So moving it would only kill many player's knowledge if they've played a Metroid game. And for people who haven't, it'd be inconvenient for them, adding another key JUST to charge would be impractical and having to reach to another bind for missiles would be a pain in the ass under pressure and fire, it should remain as Altfire.

Also, Charge Combos were in Metroid Prime 2 afaik, so uh, nothing wrong there.
Last edited by Slim on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Well, I guess hope for an addon that changes the control scheme in the future... :-/
Both the Chainsaw and the BFG already have replacements
What spawns in the Chainsaw spot? I have come across numerous Chainsaw spawns in various levels and it was always empty. Or is it something new in it's place that isn't released yet?
Last edited by Valherran on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Suicide Slim wrote: Having to fire off the beam to charge was how it was in Metroid, so making it into a Doom mod allows to break the consistancy? Also all the other beams could charge, removing that again breaks anyone whose played a Metroid game's flow, since having to shoot to charge has been that way ever since there WAS a Charge beam. So moving it would only kill many player's knowledge if they've played a Metroid game.
Well, whoops. I didn't know that. I thought it started charging as soon as you held down the fire button. I legit was not aware that metroid originally required firing off the one shot to charge. WELL THEN
Suicide Slim wrote: And for people who haven't, it'd be inconvenient for them, adding another key JUST to charge would be impractical and having to reach to another bind for missiles would be a pain in the ass under pressure and fire, it should remain as Altfire.
I'm not complaining about the system used to fire; Hold fire to charge is completely reasonable. I'm just saying the charged shots of almost every beam are way too weak to be used (wave beam is notable exception, and plasma beam in DM).
Suicide Slim wrote: Also, Charge Combos were in Metroid Prime 2 afaik, so uh, nothing wrong there.
I actually explicitly stated I liked the charge combos.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 pm

1 Last thing I want to request:

Please disable the respawning of monsters on the last 2 difficulties, or at least the 2nd to last difficulty. I really despise this game mechanic, and do not find in challenging. I find it more challenging to try and kill everything rather than speed run through the level ignoring 75% of the monsters.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Valherran wrote: 1 Last thing I want to request:

Please disable the respawning of monsters on the last 2 difficulties, or at least the 2nd to last difficulty. I really despise this game mechanic, and do not find in challenging. I find it more challenging to try and kill everything rather than speed run through the level ignoring 75% of the monsters.
I don't believe monsters respawn on the second to last difficulty. The warning message, "There are numerous enemies spawn" is a bit incoherent, though. More enemies spawn than usual, I guess?
Last edited by President People on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 pm

President People wrote:
Valherran wrote: 1 Last thing I want to request:

I don't believe monsters respawn on the second to last difficulty. The warning message, "There are numerous enemies spawn" is a bit incoherent, though. More enemies spawn than usual, I guess?
I just checked, and yeah, enemies shouldn't be respawning in Galactic Protector. If they're respawning, that's a glitch and I should fix it. Are you able to recreate it?
And I'll rephrase that sentence, thank you.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:20 am

Untitled wrote:
Suicide Slim wrote: And for people who haven't, it'd be inconvenient for them, adding another key JUST to charge would be impractical and having to reach to another bind for missiles would be a pain in the ass under pressure and fire, it should remain as Altfire.
I'm not complaining about the system used to fire; Hold fire to charge is completely reasonable. I'm just saying the charged shots of almost every beam are way too weak to be used (wave beam is notable exception, and plasma beam in DM).
In normal gameplay, uncharged shots are still OP, they have high hitstun and a great fire rate. In DM yes it is a little slow, but that's kinda how all guns in DM are. Since players aren't slow predictable AI.