Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

RE: Metroid: Dreadnought

Post by Slim » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:14 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote: If you're going to bring in DM maps from Metroid, might as well bring in MP2: Echoes' maps too.
Yeah, Crossfire Chaos and Sidehopper Station would be perfect.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Found all the items (I think) and tested them out, some things I would like to address:

1. 3rd person view is a bit wacky, it is zoomed too far into the back of my neck and I cannot see where I am going. Going into Morphball mode was even worse, cannot see where I am going unless I turn off the external camera.

2. Speed Booster could use some tweaking. A running animation on the HUD while it is enabled would be helpful. Maybe shave off a second or 2 to enable the ramming speed would also help since a lot of maps aren't very open field.

3. Beam charging could also shave off a second or 2 on the timer, takes too long for it to complete to be most effective.

4. Plasma Beam projectile is way too large, it almost always gets stuck on wall corners and ledges even when you clearly aim passed them.

5. Spazer Beam is weak compared to all of the other Beams, this could use some revision. I think a small damage boost to make up for it's lack of rapid fire would make it better.

If I could make a request; can you add hotkeys for the missiles? And switch beam charge function to RMB? It would be much easier to use them.

Also, are any these following items going to make it into the MOD?

Grapple Beam
X-Ray Scope
Screw Attack
Space Jump
Suit Upgrades
High Jump Boots

And functions:

Speed Flight
Wall Jumping

Wirtualnosc
Forum Regular

Post by Wirtualnosc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

If anything, I'd like to see visor system going instead of the x-ray scope alone. Also walljumping is in already.
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> join #VGL
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> oh fuck
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> I FORGOT the /
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> biggest fail

arkore
Forum Regular

Post by arkore » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Amazing video; such full of features, I was very impressed; especially when it got to the morphing part. Good work, TerminusEst13.

I didn't like how long it took to kill those monsters though. They should die after 2 hits, not 10 hits. Were those super monsters or something? heh.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Wirtualnosc wrote: If anything, I'd like to see visor system going instead of the x-ray scope alone. Also walljumping is in already.
How do you do the wall jumping? Cus I tried the usual mechanic for it and it didn't work.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:20 pm

you need space jump to walljump

since this uses parkmore for its walljumping shit, it works the same way as it does in parkmore; move away from wall while in midair, and jump

Captain Kupo

Post by Captain Kupo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Thinking about the beams i had an idea.
Would it be possible for you to eventually make the cannon change shape when you switch weapons? (like in metroid prime)

It would make telling what weapon you have out alot easier since it takes a second or two to change colors

and is it possible to recreate the spider ball within zando?
some of the most interesting maps in mp2 multiplayer were the ones with spider ball tracks, especially Sidehopper Station
Last edited by Captain Kupo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars,
cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Condor wrote:Awesome idea for a mod dude! If you're going to start off with it being DM, I'd suggest any of the maps from the nintendo handheld Metroid Prime Hunters. Hell, if the weapons from that game could be created, I can see a very popular server in the near future. :D
The Toxic Avenger wrote:If you're going to bring in DM maps from Metroid, might as well bring in MP2: Echoes' maps too.
I am an absolutely terrible mapper, so I would need assistance from mappers in order to do this. Still, I'm all down for this, and if anyone would like to provide their skills, please shoot me a PM on either IRC or the forums.
Runsaber's already finished his Combat Hall, and once I hear back from him I'll be implementing it in the levels .pk3.

Valherran wrote:[snip]
Some interesting suggestions here, thank you. For the third person camera, I would suggest messing with your chase_dist and chase_height values (I have my chase_height at 10).
Alternatively, please input metroid_cl_morphcamera 0 in the console to disable the third person camera completely.
Valherran wrote:If I could make a request; can you add hotkeys for the missiles? And switch beam charge function to RMB? It would be much easier to use them.
This, however, I'm just going to flat say "no" on, sorry. I really don't see how making three keys for attacking instead of two is going to make it easier to use, especially considering the behavior for charging beams is the same for all Metroid games--hold down the shoot.
Valherran wrote:Also, are any these following items going to make it into the MOD?

Grapple Beam
X-Ray Scope
Screw Attack
Space Jump
Suit Upgrades
High Jump Boots

And functions:

Speed Flight
Wall Jumping
I'm not sure I understand what "Speed Flight" is, but Wall-Jumping and Space Jump is indeed implemented. Currently they're only in via a cvar (metroid_spacejump 1), but next build they'll replace the allmap.
High Jump Boots would be certainly easy enough to do, so I'll give it a shot later on, once I'm done with other things.
Grapple Beam, Visors, and Screw Attack are in the "maybe, I don't know how to do this" camp.
Suit upgrades are right out, thanks to player skins and how they'll be able to change color freely as they wish--going from orange Varia Suit to purple Gravity Suit would be effectively pointless, since the player can already cosmetically do it. There's some extra physical details (like the shoulders between Power Suit and Varia Suit), but with that effort I would just rather make an extra player skin entirely.

Thanks for the input.

Captain Kupo wrote: Thinking about the beams i had an idea.
Would it be possible for you to eventually make the cannon change shape when you switch weapons? (like in metroid prime)

It would make telling what weapon you have out alot easier since it takes a second or two to change colors

and is it possible to recreate the spider ball within zando?
some of the most interesting maps in mp2 multiplayer were the ones with spider ball tracks, especially Sidehopper Station
That's a good idea--especially since, right at the moment, there's no clear indication of when the beam is finished charging. I'll ask the artist and see if he would be willing to make a few more tweaks to the arm cannon.
And I don't think it's possible to do the Spider Ball, but I can try. Theoretically it would be checking to see if the area around the player is a solid object and if so momentarily enable flight.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: I'm not sure I understand what "Speed Flight" is, but Wall-Jumping and Space Jump is indeed implemented.
"Speed Flight" is the ShineSpark ability that comes with the Speed Booster in the 2D Metroid games. While in boost running, crouch down and you will retain the speed effect and you can propel yourself in all directions except straight down. And in Super Metroid, it would give you some health loss if flying too long/hitting a wall mid-flight.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:23 am

Ah, the Shinespark. Yes, I do definitely want to include that later on!

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:38 am

Suit upgrades are right out, thanks to player skins and how they'll be able to change color freely as they wish--going from orange Varia Suit to purple Gravity Suit would be effectively pointless, since the player can already cosmetically do it. There's some extra physical details (like the shoulders between Power Suit and Varia Suit), but with that effort I would just rather make an extra player skin entirely.
In the Metroid games, the suit upgrades provided damage reduction and immunity vs certain things. Varia suit gave you damage reduction and heat immunity. Gravity suit defied gravity while in water, gave damage reduction, and immunity to lava. These traits do not seem pointless to me, however they don't need to be in the game, but it would be nice.
This, however, I'm just going to flat say "no" on, sorry. I really don't see how making three keys for attacking instead of two is going to make it easier to use, especially considering the behavior for charging beams is the same for all Metroid games--hold down the shoot.
It makes it easier by not having to hold down the mouse button to fire off a Super Missile. Would also help with those delays in between firing other weapons, which was what I was hoping for.
"Speed Flight" is the ShineSpark ability that comes with the Speed Booster in the 2D Metroid games. While in boost running, crouch down and you will retain the speed effect and you can propel yourself in all directions except straight down. And in Super Metroid, it would give you some health loss if flying too long/hitting a wall mid-flight.
Oh, right, I forgot that had a name, it's been a while... I do know that it takes away health every millisecond you fly. Impact doesn't hurt you, just the flight part.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:29 am

Valherran wrote:
Oh, right, I forgot that had a name, it's been a while... I do know that it takes away health every millisecond you fly. Impact doesn't hurt you, just the flight part.
Oh, had it backwards then. Been a while but I still had some burned in memories though. :D

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:43 am

TerminusEst13 wrote:And I don't think it's possible to do the Spider Ball, but I can try. Theoretically it would be checking to see if the area around the player is a solid object and if so momentarily enable flight.
If a key is necessary to engage Spider Ball, it could check for crouch/toggle, since they're disabled in Morph Ball.

And, assuming Spider Ball even comes through, I hope for a server variable allowing any surface to be climbed, Metroid II-style. :D
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

RUNSABER
New User

Post by RUNSABER » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 am

I am looking forward to porting some Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes maps to Zanny. Expect maps such as Alinos Perch, Outer Reach, Transfer Lock, and more others :) I would like to know who else wants to map together on this? MPH was my roots growing up, and it was the very first online multiplayer game I played and had a clan gaming experience with. This engine is perfect for those maps, and eventually a single player/coop hub sandbox similar to Echoe's Aether overworld? Zebes was like this and it's very possible - let's get together and run our imaginations!!

Guardsoul
Forum Regular

Post by Guardsoul » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 am

Welp, Im waiting for the second part of the texture pack to start mapping because the one I have is like a tiny free version (only around 50 textures and most of them doesnt seem to fit right now in my map).
I dont care about how bad your maps are. Everything can be improved.
Banned for cheating at DoomBuilder.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:16 pm

RUNSABER wrote: I am looking forward to porting some Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes maps to Zanny. Expect maps such as Alinos Perch, Outer Reach, Transfer Lock, and more others :)
Next time you pop on the IRC, please send me on over your Combat Hall map. I'd like to integrate the textures into the growing texture pack and put the map itself into the levels .pk3. :D
Guardsoul wrote: Welp, Im waiting for the second part of the texture pack to start mapping because the one I have is like a tiny free version (only around 50 textures and most of them doesnt seem to fit right now in my map).
Textures Resource went down yesterday so I haven't been able to grab as many as I want, but I'll have something for you by the end of tonight.
Do you prefer PM, or would you rather hop on IRC for it?

Also, Alpha 1.777 is uploaded. Changelog coming later, sorry, right now I'm about to keel over.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:30 pm

EVEN MY NON-SAMSARA RELEASES ARE NOT SAFE FROM THE DREADED NEED FOR B RELEASES
TURNS OUT METROID USED 402 MEGABYTES OF BANDWIDTH

1.777B IS UP
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 am

You make the best netcode Terry. :D

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 am

Yo, just a heads-up. I'm getting a lot of complaints about the particles and fancy effects, and I just wanted to let people know there is a command that disables them for the sake of your enjoyment!
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:59 pm

term when are you renaming this to Metroid: Bread dough
dear diary, tux today was a faggot again[/size]