SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - Open for dicussion, back in Development!

Post by bruiserdaemon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Untitled wrote: Masterminds were reduced from Radius 128 to Radius 96 because of that very reason - and actually, they didn't usually get stuck due to never appearing in maps where that was a possibility.

Masterminds don't usually get stuck on map geometry; usually they get stuck on other demons, I've found.
Really? Actually masterminds always get stuck on STR34 and STR35, they can't pass through! They are in fact so large they can't fit in 90% of the maps, that's why a smaller mastemind would make much more sense ( at least that they can pass through a large corridor ).

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 am

bruiserdaemon wrote:
Untitled wrote: Masterminds were reduced from Radius 128 to Radius 96 because of that very reason - and actually, they didn't usually get stuck due to never appearing in maps where that was a possibility.

Masterminds don't usually get stuck on map geometry; usually they get stuck on other demons, I've found.
Really? Actually masterminds always get stuck on STR34 and STR35, they can't pass through! They are in fact so large they can't fit in 90% of the maps, that's why a smaller mastemind would make much more sense ( at least that they can pass through a large corridor ).
STR34 can very very -barely- fit it; at 96/96, they have a very small chance of actually doing so - that's basically the size of the doorways.

STR35 - that's weird - the map is ridiculously wide; that shouldn't be a problem at all - unless it's height that's doing it in and not width. I'll look into this.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:09 am

Where is the tomed dragonclaw's spiked balls dmg value? They are ridicolously OP and when coupled with quad damage they become even more ridicolous.

Anyway, why don't you add Caleb as a playable character? I miss him

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:19 am

bruiserdaemon wrote: Where is the tomed dragonclaw's spiked balls dmg value? They are ridicolously OP and when coupled with quad damage they become even more ridicolous.

Anyway, why don't you add Caleb as a playable character? I miss him
1-8 damage with +RIPPER; so in effect, 1-8 damage for every tic one of those spike balls is on top of some demon, ripping it.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy with quad.

Still not as bad as the wraithverge though

But the nature of the Wraiths mean I can't do a thing about that period

EDIT: Will answer legitimately why I'm not doing Caleb later when I have time; it's a longish response
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:37 am

The tome is 90 secs of pure carnage using the dragon claw, with the quad it will make tabula rasa of any demon. Anyway i noted there are some unused specimens on a text file like the cacolantern, abaddon, belphegor etc... are they usable or just there as a text?

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:51 pm

bruiserdaemon wrote: The tome is 90 secs of pure carnage using the dragon claw, with the quad it will make tabula rasa of any demon. Anyway i noted there are some unused specimens on a text file like the cacolantern, abaddon, belphegor etc... are they usable or just there as a text?
1. Yeah, the Tomed Dragon Claw - as well as the Tomed Phoenix Rod and Tomed Hellstaff, but those are much less severe - is getting a slight nerf to it's spaminess; uses more ammo per shot (in line with other Slot VIIs), projectiles are smaller, faster, and less ripper-crazy (though still pretty damn ripper-crazy). I wouldn't be too crazy but I caught it one-shotting barons, which it shouldn't be.

2. Those are left over from the original samsara - they are decorate-made replacements for the Skulltag monsters; only two of them are used - Dark Imps are Doomguy's minion (to avoid conflict with the normal imps since they'd be impossible to distinguish due to using the exact same sprites and colors), and Belphegors are Doomguy's Super-minion (again, to make it so you can distinguish them from Barons). Dark Imps, Belphegors, Blood Demons and Hectebi are unusable due to the conflict - Blood Demons and Hectebi are both monsters in Stronghold. The Cacolanterns and Abaddons do not have their attacks (using the normal cacodemon ball instead), don't have their corpse disappear (unlike normal monsters now), and don't give you money for the kill (that needs to be defined in the death state), but they CAN be used - not recommended, but they do exist, I think - I'll check that this evening.

Caleb - Again, Samsarahold is based of Stronghold and SAMSARA. Samsara does not have Caleb. Hence, no Caleb. And if you are wondering why I don't add him myself, then you very very very very much underestimate how hard adding new heroes is - it's pretty much the hardest thing for me to add, period - I don't have access to any of the resources needed to put Caleb in, and even if I did, I never played blood - I don't know what the weapons are like, aside from video evidence and from people telling me - and that's not entirely reliable, if I'm trying to gather specific statistics.

That's the short version.
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm

I think that some new monsters are mandatory, the usual demons and hell nobles are becoming old. Why don't you add some of them? There is a plethora of demons which will make a nice addition, and improve the game balancement too, like an halfway powerful flying demon between the normal caco and the huge abaddon, the cacolantern would be good. There are so many in fact, that i still don't get why you keep yourself on your idea to not add anything new.

The final boss.... well it's kinda crappy let me say that. The huge horde of skeletons crashes the game, and the boos itself gets stuck often somewhere.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:26 pm

bruiserdaemon wrote: I think that some new monsters are mandatory, the usual demons and hell nobles are becoming old. Why don't you add some of them? There is a plethora of demons which will make a nice addition, and improve the game balancement too, like an halfway powerful flying demon between the normal caco and the huge abaddon, the cacolantern would be good. There are so many in fact, that i still don't get why you keep yourself on your idea to not add anything new.
It's less that and more that I don't trust myself to do -properly- so unless I give myself ample time to do so - adding anything stuff takes time, and I simply don't have that time anymore.

Hence why the 0.12 final release is mostly Polishing and bug-fixes - I need a legitimate break from trying to add things, until time frees itself up and I can get back to work to features that take time.

EDIT: Also, unless I make everything out of palette translations and reused sounds (which is frowned upon), adding a lot of new monsters will likely bloat the filesize - and samsarahold's at, what, 73 Megabytes already? Considering my rate of rapid-updating, I'd rather not increase that further.
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm

They say war never changes.

They would be right. The demons, the shooting, the killing. A familiar sense of death.

And yet...

Thanks for TerminusEst13 for creating Samsara, thanks for Tormentor667 for creating Stronghold.

Thanks for everyone who joined me on the servers - thanks for playing, for being the foundation for what might be the best SamsaraHold release yet.

So on that note, SamsaraHold 0.12 is released.

Like always, have fun.

Alright, so at this point, I have a bit of sad news: SamsaraHold's going on a "Developmental Hiatus" for the next couple months - meaning that actual development of SamsaraHold has stopped, due to things relating the topic of real life making me quite busy with things, but feature discussions for 0.15 (which won't get off the ground for another 2-3 months, so we got time) are open, and I will probably respond.

With that in mind, expect:
-SamsaraHold 0.15 to not get truly started for a few months (a few brainstorms, but no implementations).
-Slower response times to questions posted on this thread - I will respond, so go ahead and post, but be patient.
-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - The Mission Continues...

Post by bruiserdaemon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Maybe a small changelog could help people know what changed...? Just asking.
Last edited by bruiserdaemon on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 pm

bruiserdaemon wrote: Maybe a small changelog could help people know what changed...? Just asking.
Right! Forgot to mention.

Changelog is the OP as always.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Spoiler: Interesting Dev Trivia (Open)
DEV HISTORY:
-In the pre-samsarahold dev period, it took me and dekw 12 releases before we got one that actually functioned enough to get through more than one tier.
-The 17th release officially doesn't exist (it was a thing, but it went missing and there was historically no server of it).
-The 39th release doesn't exist either - for some odd reason I skipped that one, going straight from 38 to 40.
-Originally, this was simply called Samsara/Stronghold - I renamed it SamsaraHold after I figured out how to use GitHub, which allowed me to make it not suck.
-It took me literally 70 releases before I realized how to use GitHub, embarrassingly.
-In current SamsaraHold history, the hardest bug we've ever fixed is the Overmind bug.
MONSTERS:
-Satyrs aren't actually part of the vanilla stronghold repository - I added them to compliment the Azazel.
-In normal stronghold, the Terminator is an underwhelming boss enemy. It's now probably the toughest normally-used monster in the entire game.
PLAYERS:
-Security Officer is probably the most overpowered hero in-game - both right now and in early dev history - KKV, WSTE-M5s, SPNKR, TOZ-T, WMC are all good weapons.
-Ranger has caused me more grief balance wise than any other hero.
-For a long time, players took no splash damage from their own weapons. This broke SO even further, as mentioned below.
WEAPONS:
-The Wave Motion Cannon was ludicrously overpowered, originally - Dekw, after mastering it, could consistently double everyone else's scores. It was ridiculous.
-The Quad Damage, for a long time, was bugged; you could actually continuously quad by picking it up again, negating the entire cooldown, allowing continuous quad. This was fixed for obvious reasons.
-For a time, I broke the wraithverge AI, making the wraithverge near-useless - to make it work again, I quadrupled it's damage. When I fixed the AI, I forgot to revert the damage, resulting in the most broken weapon in any update in samsara/stronghold history.
ITEMS:
-The I Win Button item used to be much weaker - but it was general consensus that it wasn't worth 5K credits, so I buffed it. Massively.
-The Terminator Powerup used to be a Bruiserdemon Powerup - The novelty had worn off, so I replaced it with the Terminator suit - which is much more fun. I had considered the Pyrodemon for a while, but I decided Terminators would be better for balance.
-Originally, the beacon item used to spawn marines that wielded the samsara weapons, using the weapon set from the class of the person who spawned them. It got swapped out for the beacon by popular demand. These marines are still present in the code, but are only used in STR54 and STR35.
-In development, The Super Beacon summoned a single boss from each hero's game - Cyberdemon for Doomguy, for example. The reason I canceled that line of thought was because of Ranger - I had no quake resources for the Shambler, which was the most logical choice. Or maybe Armagon from Scourge of Armagon. Then I decided that this would've been even worse for balance and scrapped it entirely. Given what the super beacon does for balance now, it was probably good I caught myself.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Well even among the Elite Reinf there are those OP and those average. The Ranger's vores do a ton of damage with their energy balls, and it is splash dmg too. BJ's Schutzstaffeln are tough but deal nowhere the same damage as the vores. Duke's battlelord's granades are OP ( each granade does 50 splash dmg amd they throw 3 every time ), while their chaingun is extremely inaccurate ( but powerful ).

The doomguy, parias, corvus and SO elite reinf are ok.
Last edited by bruiserdaemon on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:59 pm

bruiserdaemon wrote: Well even among the Elite Reinf there are those OP and those average. The Ranger's vores do a ton of damage with their energy balls, and it is splash dmg too. BJ's Schutzstaffeln are tough but deal nowhere the same damage as the vores. Duke's battlelord's granades are OP ( each granade does 50 splash dmg amd they throw 3 every time ), while their chaingun is extremely inaccurate.

The doomguy, parias, corvus and SO elite reinf are ok.
That's why I said "Given what it does for balance" - I'm saying that as bad as *those* are, it could've been a lot worse. Imagine - ally cyberdemons!

Again, samsarahold's on developmental hiatus, but I'll file the request under "Fix Balance".

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Well, remember that developmental hiatus I mentioned?

well SCREW ALL THAT.

Zandronum 2.0 is out, so I'm going to be rapidly trying to fix everything!

So yeah, uh expect lots of crashes
Alright so get this: SamsaraHold, with Zandronum 2.0, doesn't actually run.

As soon as I changemap to MAP99, I get this:

Code: Select all

2015-Mar-29 18:39:18 *** Fatal Error ***
2015-Mar-29 18:39:18 Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
2015-Mar-29 18:39:18 Address: (nil)
2015-Mar-29 18:39:18 
2015-Mar-29 18:39:18 Generating zandronum-crash.log and killing process 16421, please wait... 
2015-Mar-29 18:39:18 Server stopped! Uptime was 0 days 0 hours 0 minutes and 37 seconds.
Yeah, samsarahold is down, probably for a long time.
Last edited by Untitled on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am

And yeah, it's increasingly clear to me that cleaning this up is going to be a MASSIVE process, that will take probably next summer to finish.

Sorry.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.12 - The Mission is Finished.

Post by bruiserdaemon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:25 pm

My opinion remains that the nr.1 issue with this mod is the abuse of camping by players. I know you like camping because everything in samsarahold is about camping ( more sentries, strong reinforcements, players can enter the spawn zones ) but frankly i don't think every doom player is of the same opinion here. Anyway keep updating your mod, new things are always appreciated.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:36 pm

bruiserdaemon wrote: My opinion remains that the nr.1 issue with this mod is the abuse of camping by players. I know you like camping because everything in samsarahold is about camping ( more sentries, strong reinforcements, players can enter the spawn zones ) but frankly i don't think every doom player is of the same opinion here. Anyway keep updating your mod, new things are always appreciated.
The number 1 issue with this mod is that it doesn't actually run with Zandronum 2.0.

That issue has to get fixed before literally anything else.

Unfortunately, it's going to take probably months to fix.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

bruiserdaemon
Forum Regular

Post by bruiserdaemon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Hope you fix that problem with missin spawning too. A cyberdemon not spawning because of congestion is lame to say the least.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:56 pm

bruiserdaemon wrote: Hope you fix that problem with missin spawning too. A cyberdemon not spawning because of congestion is lame to say the least.
To be fair, that's only hard mode monsters (ones specified by normal missions always spawn), and yeah, due to me completely reworking the hard mode stuff (don't worry, this is easy for me to fix), it should be fixed for 0.15.

Also, a new monster joins the beastiary...

For progress on the next version, well

um

er

uh.

Well, let's just say that it still doesn't actually freaking run so

<Untitled> Depends

Projects: