Zandronum 3.0-alpha-150819-2351

Builds for previous versions go here

Moderator: Developers

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Zandronum 3.0-alpha-150819-2351

Post by Torr Samaho » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:52 pm

After seeing that there is already a mod that needs 3.0, I realized that it's about time to release an official 3.0 beta build ;). So here we go.

Since 3.0 bumps the major version, you rightfully expect ZDoom updates and ZDoom updates is what you get. Compared to 2.x, 3.0 contains almost four years of ZDoom updates. It's on par with GZDoom 1.8.6 and thus leapfrogs the latest stable ZDoom version 2.7.1 by almost a year worth of ZDoom changes. Of course, all these updates required a lot of changes under the hood, so most likely there are still a lot of bugs in 3.0. But that's why we are releasing beta builds after all.

ZDoom updates are not the only thing 3.0 has in store, but see for yourself. Here is the full list of changes:

Code: Select all

*+	- Updated Zandronum's (G)ZDoom base to ZDoom 2.8pre-441-g458e1b1 / GZDoom 1.8.6. [Torr Samaho]
*!	- Rewrote support for preferred weapon order. Weapon info is now automatically looked up, the ORDERDEF lump has been removed. [Dusk]
*+	- Generalized the rune system. Any rune can be used as a powerup (including spread, prosperity and reflection, which are now available as powerups), and any powerup can be used as a rune. [Dusk]
+	- Added NamedRequestScriptPuke, named variant of RequestScriptPuke. The two functions can now take 1-5 parameters, thus supporting 4 script arguments. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: Newly connecting clients were not properly informed about the secrets that were already revealed. [Torr Samaho]
!	- Removed the internal server browser. It was only useful for debugging purposes anyway and the CCMDs querymaster and dumpserverlist are sufficient for this. [Torr Samaho]
!	- Changed: Spectators can now interact with gravity and use the fly/land commands. [Leonard]
-	- Fixed: The effects of the terminator sphere and the hellstone on a player were not properly stored in save games. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: SetPlayerProperty could still change certain flags on a spectator. [Leonard]
-	- Fixed: Changing the CVAR 'fullscreen' crashed the server. [Torr Samaho]
-	- Fixed: sv_sharekeys did not use actor tags properly anymore after the ZDoom update in 2.0. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: Free spectate mode would crash the game. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: The game could tick too fast after getting kicked. [Leonard]
-	- Fixed: The automap would render spectators other than the local player. The local player, if spectating, now won't be rendered either if the user spies on someone. [Dusk]
-	- Fixed: the server did not handle item givings and takings with amounts greater than 32767. [Edward-san]
!	- Spectators may now move freely even when the game has ended and players are frozen in place. [Dusk] 
Download
Last edited by Blzut3 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Zandronum 3.0-alpha-150819-2351

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:11 pm

This will help a lot for others, and me especially as I heavily use these features for Death and Decay. Thanks a lot Torr!
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Oh hell yes. You the man, Torr.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Woot! Tyvm!

Will do some testing once I get home :biggrin:

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:46 pm

Do I see a big leap coming up? Yes I do. (now let's just hope tons of testing will happen and not delay this version)

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Oh very well, I got a lot of project to test with that, thanks a lot.

EDIT: Stupid question, how do I set up OpenGL ?
Last edited by fr blood on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Start up the exe as you would the normal zan, and a window will pop up... Asking you what iwad to select and an option to choose either GL or Software. I asked if the render switch was ever gonna make it back in video options but didn't get a response.

But yea, that is bout the only way, other then editing the ini to enable GL.

EDIT: I know Imma be a pain for asking this but... Is there no more cvar or way to set PWO in configs anymore? I just looked at it, and all the PWO sliders are set to 0.0.
Last edited by DevilHunter on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Post by WaTaKiD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:41 pm

u can also open the console and type vid_renderer 1 then exit out and restart zan, tho imo editing the ini would be slightly faster, but im just providing another possible method

Zanieon
Forum Regular

Post by Zanieon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:53 am

Tested it right now with Hunter's Moon for GZDoom, it works everything fine, however on the maps i'm making for it, the UDMF still seems to be a bit outdated or buggy yet, i used the scaling on textures directly on lines and that still provide some visual glitches.

FateLord
Forum Regular

Post by FateLord » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:33 am

What.. can it be? Zandronum is going to be up to date with ZDoom? :o
<Sean> .broadcast FateLord has a massive, hard wallhack
<Exciter> Global broadcast sent.

FascistCat

Post by FascistCat » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:57 am

As long as people test this and leave feedback it should/could/will.

Echo
Forum Regular
Clan: Red Bullet Pact
Clan Tag: [RBP]

Post by Echo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Holy shit, tearing through these updates. Great work guys.
H ELLO AM 48 YEAR MAN FROM SOMALIA. SORRY FOR BAD ENGLAND. I SELLED MY WIFE FOR INTERNET CONNECTION FOR PLAY AND I WANT TO BECOME THE GOODEST PLAYER LIKE YO U

Beed28
New User

Post by Beed28 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 pm

This is amazing. The ZDoom version of my Contra Doom mod works almost perfectly now, the only downsides I've found so far being the MENUDEF overwriting the options menu (no multiplayer option) as well as the score rising up from 0 each time you go to a new map.
Last edited by Beed28 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 pm

I should add a warning for the linux users: before running zandronum 3.0 beta, they must copy the files from directory '~/.zandronum' to the new location '~/.config/zandronum' . If it's not done, all the data would be automatically moved instead of copied, causing problems when running zandronum stable.
Last edited by Edward-san on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:34 pm

This pleases me.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:02 pm

How about this:
  • finished implementation of vanilla compatibility (I mean all of the following: partial emulation of a DOS machine's address space, emulation of behavior of x86-specific mathematical or logical operations, and overflow emulation based on reverse engineering of the segment layouts of the original games' executable files in order to attain as close to 100% compatibility as is possible. This includes syncing of vanilla demos, and the port being adjusted if one is found which does not sync.) instead of just being able to play the vanilla WADS
  • Finished Boom compatibility implementation
  • EDGE-type RTS scripting
  • XG scripting (Like in Doomsday)
  • SCP scripting & DED support (like in RISEN3D)
  • InFine scripting (like in Risen3D & Doomsday)
  • DEHSUPP support (like Zdaemon)
  • DEHACKED support (like ReMood & Chocolate Doom)
  • DDF & COAL support (like EDGE)
  • EDF support (like Eternity)
As you might have guessed, my goal with the above features is compatibility that PWADS that pretty much require full vanilla compatibility, as well as mods that currently aren't compatible with the ZDoom family.
Last edited by Ultimate Freedoomer on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:43 pm

^ Go ask that at ZDoom instead.
Good shit, Torr. Theres is one specific feature I could really use from 3.0 (and probably more without knowing).
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:15 am

Ultimate Freedoomer wrote: How about this:
  • finished implementation of vanilla compatibility (I mean all of the following: partial emulation of a DOS machine's address space, emulation of behavior of x86-specific mathematical or logical operations, and overflow emulation based on reverse engineering of the segment layouts of the original games' executable files in order to attain as close to 100% compatibility as is possible. This includes syncing of vanilla demos, and the port being adjusted if one is found which does not sync.) instead of just being able to play the vanilla WADS
As you might have guessed, my goal with the above features is compatibility that PWADS that pretty much require full vanilla compatibility, as well as mods that currently aren't compatible with the ZDoom family.
1. As Sean said, those are not things which the Zandro devs would likely undertake, they'd be better suggested over at ZDoom and (eventually) backported here.

2. You know DEHACKED and DEHSUPP have been supported forever, right?

3. What would we have to gain by going through all the effort of porting the script languages of other ports like Doomsday, Risen, and EDGE? Are there really that many Doomsday mods out there that Zandronum players NEED to play on Zandronum? Not to mention the gigantic netcode differences between ports which might cause headaches when porting source code for different script languages.

tl;dr if those mods weren't made for Zandro then it shouldn't be our problem, play them on the port they were meant for.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:38 am

Ænima wrote:
Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:How about this:
1. As Sean said, those are not things which the Zandro devs would likely undertake, they'd be better suggested over at ZDoom and (eventually) backported here.

2. You know DEHACKED and DEHSUPP have been supported forever, right?

3. What would we have to gain by going through all the effort of porting the script languages of other ports like Doomsday, Risen, and EDGE? Are there really that many Doomsday mods out there that Zandronum players NEED to play on Zandronum? Not to mention the gigantic netcode differences between ports which might cause headaches when porting source code for different script languages.

tl;dr if those mods weren't made for Zandro then it shouldn't be our problem, play them on the port they were meant for.
To answer question 2, I was under the impression that Zandronum's DEHACKED & DEHSUPP support was removed with the introduction of DECORATE. Forgive me for that mistake. As for points 1 & 3, implementing those scripting languages would basically allow Zandronum (which is already the most advanced port in regards to non-vanilla stuff as far as I'm concerned) to be "the definitive source port" by being able to play every mod/PWAD EVER, thus meaning people won't have to worry about downloading 10 source ports just so every mod/PWAD they have will be compatible with at least 1 of their ports of choice. I'm not being literal about "10 ports", it could just feel that way sometimes. There are many mods I wanted to use with a ZDoom port (mostly because of the ALTHUD) but couldn't because of incompatible scripting (such as the Doom 64 EX Doom 64 wad). The Steam release of Strife: Quest for the Sigil was 1 such thing. & yes, I use source-ports with Steam in the "proper" way of doing so. Also, if anyone wants to hear them, I have some ideas for revamping the ALTHUD.

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 am

That would require a craptonne of work and I highly doubt itd be worth the effort. I don't know of any WAD that uses any of those (excepted DEHACKED).
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova