Idk where to post this, so I'll just post it here if you don't mind

General help and assistance forum.
RedDragonCats17
New User

Idk where to post this, so I'll just post it here if you don't mind

Post by RedDragonCats17 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Hey guys, you'd probably remember me from that one other thread, I need some more help on not mods, but soundfonts.

See I had the Roland SC-55 sound font and I decided that I don't like it that much anymore, so I decided to find another sound font that makes Classic Doom's music sound more like the OST from the CD, and I found out that the synth used for the songs was the Roland Rap-10. I did find a post in the ZDoom forums that has the font, but the original website that had it was unavailable.

Do you guys have a Rap-10 sound font? If not what about the SC-88? I want to have them without going through the trouble converting everything into a font.

RedDragonCats17
New User

Re: Idk where to post this, so I'll just post it here if you don't mind

Post by RedDragonCats17 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Um... Anybody?

Discount Ninja

Post by Discount Ninja » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:58 am

Not a lot of people are into sound fonts. It also sounds like you want a specific soundfont from a keyboard, you'll want to find the chipset used from the keyboard and use a soundcard synth that is similar. What would be a lot easier is to just obtain a keyboard similar to what Robert Prince used and pipe out your midi tracks to the physical keyboard. Similar to what he did.
But the 'authentic' sound isn't as great as the later synthesizers that came out just 5 months later. Like the EMU8000 synth chip, one of my personal favorites.
There wasn't an OST from a CD that I recall, the CD versions came out much later from the original floppy version in '93. Unless GabeNewell put one into the windows version of Doom.

If you don't want to bother with that, I wouldn't blame you. There are a lot of good free soundfonts out there. The one I like is CrisisGeneralMid, which will make it sound like a cheaply produced CD. From just midi is pretty cool. Though, there may be a better version floating out there than what I use. It's been a long time since I've really dove into soundfonts. A better question is are you looking for a good quality soundfont or something 'authentic'? Anyways. I hope this helps.

RedDragonCats17
New User

Post by RedDragonCats17 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Hm, I thought there was a CD out there.

A better explanation is I'm looking for a sound font that'll make Doom's music sound like the downloadable OST made by Bobby Prince, and I found out that Bobby used the Rap-10. Idk about 'authentic', mostly because I don't think there's a soundfont that sounds exactly like the synth I mentioned, so I'm gonna have to go for good quality. I'm not really asking for a soundfont from a keyboard, I'm asking for a soundfont for one of those synth programs, like VirtualMIDISynth.

Discount Ninja

Post by Discount Ninja » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm

This is likely the soundfont originally used: https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/15

RedDragonCats17
New User

Post by RedDragonCats17 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:11 am

The OPL Soundblaster? No.

Here, this is what I want the music to sound like in the game. I heard that the sound font used in this was the Rap-10, like I explained before.
phpBB [media]

Discount Ninja

Post by Discount Ninja » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:48 pm

The "Rap-10" doesn't exist on the indexed Internet. There is a RAP-1 toy keybaord, for like children. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

That sounds like an old Microsoft Wavetable. Early XP or possibly earlier.

RedDragonCats17
New User

Post by RedDragonCats17 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 pm

A Wavetable? I'll take a look.

RedDragonCats17
New User

Post by RedDragonCats17 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 pm

So the Rap-10 doesn't exist? What about the SC-88?