Problems with openssl libraries & multiplayer (Linux)

General help and assistance forum.
Fincer
New User

Problems with openssl libraries & multiplayer (Linux)

Post by Fincer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 pm

Hey,

I'm using Arch Linux. I've installed the latest Zandronum Development version (Zandronum 3.0-alpha-151228-1140, 64-bit). Every time I launch either Zandronum or Zandronum server, I get the following message:

Code: Select all

[fincer@fincer-laptop zandronum]$ zandronum
/usr/share/zandronum/zandronum: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/share/zandronum/zandronum)
This is not an issue with single player games but problems arise when trying to play in multiplayer (Doomseeker). Zandronum says in Doom console that "Protected Lump Authentication Failed" and gives shasums of all used files, no matter how many times me and my friend check the loaded files. The authentication problem is very likely related to OpenSSL since Windows version with exactly the same files works without any issues, and I can join my friend's server, too. Linux version fails, always. Fails, fails, fails.

I have no idea what to do. I have openssl-1.0.2.e installed on my system. However, I tried various other versions, too (1.0.2.d, 1.0.2.a, 1.0.2, 1.0.1.i, 1.0.1.h, 1.0.1.g) and got always the same message: "no version information available".

Could someone help me figure out this issue? It gets really painful. What specific OpenSSL version do you guys use in precompiled Zandronum 3.0 packages? What can I do? What does cause this issue?

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Fincer on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk
Developer

RE: Problems with openssl libraries & multiplayer (Linux)

Post by Dusk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:32 am

Protected lump authentication has nothing to do with OpenSSL. Your files are different and you're just missing something. The error message does not list the IWAD so I'd check whether there's a problem with that.

And please don't tell me that you stuffed brutal doom into the skins folder...
Last edited by Dusk on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fincer
New User

Post by Fincer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:50 am

Well, this is what I get on Linux while trying to connect to a server (you can check shasums yourself):

Exactly same files, exactly same configuration. Same program versions. Works on Windows, no problems. And yes, we both use same Doom2.wad IWAD, either Linux or Windows.

You may then explain what causes this issue? I have, identical files, compared to the files my friend has on his computer. And yes, this is an old issue, because this has happened on earlier Zandronum 3.0 builds, too. If it's not OpenSSL, can it be some other library instead?

Singleplayer works.

-----------------------------------------

P.S. Okay, we investigated this little bit further. Problem solved, as what comes to Zandronum.

this is somehow related to Project Brutality wads. Not sure how and why, but once we unloaded all PWADs, Zandronum worked without issues in multiplayer.

Case closed.
Last edited by Fincer on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Konar6
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Konar6 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Does the wad name have spaces in it?
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

Fincer
New User

Post by Fincer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Nah, sorry this is confusing but...we tested this again, I'm sure now. Just forget all what I've said above. Let's clear the table at once.

If I run Windows version of Zandronum via Wine and my friend uses Windows version as well, we have no problems with custom WADs. I'm now quite sure this is an issue either between Linux & Windows Zandronum versions (binary conflict?) or some naming issue of the custom WAD files, therefore possibly nothing related to Project Brutality. We tried renaming all custom WADs with lower case letters as well, no success. Same error. This issue is relevant only when using custom WADs (Project Brutality at least).

WADs don't have spaces in their names. Actually it doesn't matter whether custom files have spaces or not since we've tested it.

My conclusion is as follows

Windows Zandronum 3.0 + Windows Zandronum 3.0 = works with custom WADs and with a basic iWAD only (such as doom2.wad)
Windows Zandronum 3.0 + Linux Zandronum 3.0 = doesn't work with custom WADs but works with a basic iWAD only (such as doom2.wad)
Linux Zandronum 3.0 + Linux Zandronum 3.0 = ???

Hopefully this get's fixed...somehow... since it's quite annoying. I can't use my native Linux Zandronum in multiplayer mode. That's why I'm forced to use Wine to run it instead for the time being.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 am

We have been mixing Windows and Linux binaries for years, so this shouldn't be a general problem. Can you post the part of the console logs of both client and server that starts with "W_Init: Init WADfiles."?

RunFish
Registered just to make one post

Re: RE: Problems with openssl libraries & multiplayer (Linux)

Post by RunFish » Mon May 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Fincer wrote:Well, this is what I get on Linux while trying to connect to a server (you can check shasums yourself):

Chances of you seeing this are slim, but I'm having the same issue. I don't really understand what your fix was. Anyone else able to shed some light on this?